Stupidly embarrassing.

dale560

We all make mistakes every now and then. This is a how the heck did I do that? We bought this ford 9030 bidi out in Montana this spring with a bad engine and leaking hydraulic pump. Any ways put the engine in this summer. I had bought a used engine for a 9030 ten years ago or so and didn’t need it. Well we put engine in and it fired up right away but we had stuff to  sort out. So we worked on it a few odd weekends and would unhook batteries so nothing shorted. I charged batteries one day last week and reinstalled it and it sparked a bit when I hooked cable up. Not bad just a bit and didn’t do it again. Started tractor and washed it then noticed radio and gauges were not working. So I figured it had something to do with area I was working on engine. Uncooked the connectors from harness behind seat and it wouldn’t blow fuse then. Messed around with stuff and unhooked battery two or three times over three days. Took a volt meter to just check voltage on gauges that were blowing the acc fuse and it acted funny. Had an aha moment pop in brain and went unhooked battery and turned it around. Here I put battery in not looking and the name decal I put out. It was backwards and when I put cables on they only fit for length I just bolted them down. These were truck stud batteries so they went either way. I was lucky while I had alternator main wire on I didn’t have the plug installed on delco 10 si. Also being a rubber mounted engine the frame to engine wire was going to be attached when I finished other odd stuff so that wasn’t on yet either. Seems the only thing that got zapped was the radio. It was working before but will have to spring for a new one now. I just really feel stupid for not checking the positive position on battery first just had a other stuff I was thinking of. Here is picture of 9030 getting hauled home. I will put more pics of the tractor up tomorrow.

2D83DDD8-6283-4C47-BBB3-C57AB7D0B939.jpeg

• Like 9

On both my 4020s i got a  battery box off a junked semi bolted to the frame by the starter. Back in 2003 my Dad installed new batteries in one a couple weeks before his fatal heart attack, two 12 volt parallel is how they are set up. About 6 weeks later tractor would not start. After removing the cover to hook up cables i noticed there was a + and - hooked to the starter with a + and - grounded. I sure wished i could have asked him how he got that done as well as many other questions. I don't see how that could work as long as it did 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, 1480x3 said:

On both my 4020s i got a  battery box off a junked semi bolted to the frame by the starter. Back in 2003 my Dad installed new batteries in one a couple weeks before his fatal heart attack, two 12 volt parallel is how they are set up. About 6 weeks later tractor would not start. After removing the cover to hook up cables i noticed there was a + and - hooked to the starter with a + and - grounded. I sure wished i could have asked him how he got that done as well as many other questions. I don't see how that could work as long as it did 

...You will have remembered a million things that you wished you had asked your Dad, about.......

Mike

• Like 4

I had an 89 Cavalier derby car with a 4 cylinder 2L engine I believe it was

I hooked the cables up backwards and it started and ran in reverse, it was running terribly and the check engine light came on, maybe the battery light too, I was alarmed because it ran well before.  Then I realized what I did

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

try to move  on . It’s water over the oceans now. 

On the '50s cars with a generator is wasn't uncommon for people to reverse the polarity and for the generator to self polarize and charge! Of course none of the simple electronics liked it but many survived. I remember a '57, I think, that came into the garage where I pumped gas and did oil changes, fixed flats, etc., as a teen. It was running just fine except the fuel gauge and probably the rest weren't working. The boss turned the battery around, flashed the generator, and everything worked except the radio but that may have been broken anyway.

I don't think a modern car would like it at all!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mudfly said:

Or different sizes.  Not sure why the + terminal couldn’t be a 1/4 inch bigger.

They are on conventional lead post batteries. POS is always larger 

9 hours ago, jimw said:

Looks pretty good in the picture 

Yes it is probably above avg. 10,000 hrs but had the center pins fixed and actually pretty straight sheetmetal. The loader frame needs a bit of work on top left side pivot. the pin broke and bent it out a bit. that isnt a bad fix and i will take loader off and fix it later. paid 7500 for  tractor.  4000 for engine a long time ago and about 1500 into hauling it plus small stuff like oil and pump seal kit was 85.  We will have about 14000 into it so half price of what they bring.  we have a real low hour blue 276 i am going to work on today.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

Funny you mention 4020s that is where i have seen so many backwards batteries over the years. Even a 3020 diesel years ago the batteries were in right but the owner got one of the batteries to hold a charge backwards.  when you hooked the load tester up correctly to the posts the gauge went backwards. I think we even drained that battery down and charged it correctly and it held charge. A battery has to be completely dead to reverse charge.

I hooked up a dead battery backwards on the charger a few years ago it actually worked, kinda but didn't last...

Many years ago A friend bought a new battery for his C? Gleaner combine (it was a small combine). Hooked it up correctly and started her up. It was running but acting crazy. He got to checking everything and found the battery had the + and - backwards. Either the case was installed backwards, charged backwards or something. It burned up his alternator and something else. I expect the engine was running backwards.

6 hours ago, IHKeith said:

I had an 89 Cavalier derby car with a 4 cylinder 2L engine I believe it was

I hooked the cables up backwards and it started and ran in reverse, it was running terribly and the check engine light came on, maybe the battery light too, I was alarmed because it ran well before.  Then I realized what I did

Way back in the day, a local farmer's hired man (known to be rough on equipment) approached a railroad crossing (on a 966) on a levee in Hi 4, tried to idle across the tracks, and killed the engine before he got across.  He let it roll back and it restarted the engine backwards, sucking air past the rain cap and blowing out the air cleaner.  I don't remember that it did any damage.

46 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

Way back in the day, a local farmer's hired man (known to be rough on equipment) approached a railroad crossing (on a 966) on a levee in Hi 4, tried to idle across the tracks, and killed the engine before he got across.  He let it roll back and it restarted the engine backwards, sucking air past the rain cap and blowing out the air cleaner.  I don't remember that it did any damage.

JD R, I believe, would, if pulled down to a stop on a hill, would happily run backwards. If I remember there's a fix involving a different cam. Other old diesels will run backwards as well.

Tier IVa Steigers and combines(30 series) get people into a lot of trouble with their battery cable hookups when changing batteries. They use a combination 12v/24v system....and the 24 volt battery(front one on a Steiger, rear one on a combine) has the red cable end that hooks to the NEGATIVE battery post. Have had several people hook up the red cable to the positive post....fortunately it doesn't hurt anything other than it won't start because everything is just 12 volt. I would think people would realize when they have to squish the one battery cable end together and spread the other cable end so far apart the battery bolt won't fit in the cable end that something isn't right, but that's what happens more often than you think.

22 minutes ago, smfarms said:

2-stroke Detroits would do that too. Don’t want them to run backwards very long because oil pump isn’t pumping oil

Was in Sigourney Iowa pulling years ago. UC Allis had a Lil dribbletroit in it. Pulled it down all the way then it kicked over running backwards, everyone scrambled! It went straight to wtfo. 

4020 JD with the 24 volt system had one battery with positive ground and the other was negative ground.

Early 66 series IH tractor engines would run backwards. The problem was solved when a slot was machined into the bevel gear in the injection pump so that when running backwards the timing was retarded enough that the engine would not run.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Owen Aaland said:

4020 JD with the 24 volt system had one battery with positive ground and the other was negative ground.

Early 66 series IH tractor engines would run backwards. The problem was solved when a slot was machined into the bevel gear in the injection pump so that when running backwards the timing was retarded enough that the engine would not run.

Had a 3010 JD I switched over to 12 volt with a cheap farm store starter. It was a backwards starter in a JD marked box. Put it on wired alternator and changed everything over for 12 volt. Tried to start tractor wouldn’t fire. After a few seconds I noticed by accident fan was going backwards. I got the right starter put it on but in the process the injection pump drive gear on oil pump stem lifted up because it was worn and engine spun backwards. I took pan off fixed oil pump , got tractor all done and buttoned up just took a day longer than planned. It was older guys only loader tractor so it needed to be fixed.

• Like 1

Common mistake 

I have done it myself when I was a young lad and smoked a wiring harness on a IH pick up 

Had to find one in the junk yard and took the harness for the repair.

To this day I check before removing a battery what the voltage is and which side is grounded