Almost 80 and still getting it Done 2023 NY Deer Season

806Jordy

Why do I have to open these deer posts when I'm hungry?

That's a good looking buck!

Mike

• Haha 4

Very quiet here in my corner of the Finger Lakes on opening day.  I only heard one shot and was outside plus not running any equipment to distract me.  I think too many hunters now versus the average over the past several decades.  No place for the deer to refuge so they obviously for the time being are hiding elsewhere.  It was pretty easy to spot them until guys started sitting in the woods a couple of weeks ago.  

Really nice buck for the northeast 

• Like 3

No shortage of those white tailed rats up here. Most groups have 8 point minimum to take one. 
Nice buck. 

• Like 2

my friend claims Western New York was the best for white tail . You got a nice one for sure , 

One of our pilots lives in Maine. We flew together last week and he was saying he was hoping for an inch or two of snow when got home as it was rifle season and he hadn't any luck during bow. He sent me a pic of a nice 8 point he got yesterday - 165lb and near a horse trail.

We've a half dozen does in the field beside the house plus a couple of bucks. A spike walked across the front yard this morning limping a bit. I suspect a bigger buck may have beat him up a bit.

I've heard there are more deer here now than when the pilgrims landed. I'm too lazy to shoot one.

My uncle shot a monster ten point in Chautauqua County this year. He's been hunting the same farm for about fifty years and not a whole ton of big bucks. I'm so happy for him.

• Like 3

The feed quality is much better now than 100 years ago.  100 years ago there was very little corn grown, poor quality hay lacking alfalfa, no soybeans, and very little wheat.   Today the same ground is growing high yield corn, soybeans, alfalfa, or wheat versus native plants cut for hay.  At least around here it is a 5 star restaurant versus eating out of a garbage can for the deer.  Same for the turkeys.  

11 hours ago, 766 Man said:

The feed quality is much better now than 100 years ago.  100 years ago there was very little corn grown, poor quality hay lacking alfalfa, no soybeans, and very little wheat.   Today the same ground is growing high yield corn, soybeans, alfalfa, or wheat versus native plants cut for hay.  At least around here it is a 5 star restaurant versus eating out of a garbage can for the deer.  Same for the turkeys.  

No question about better feed makes a bigger animal. The Pacific Coast Black Tail deer is small compared to most deer in the USA. Most are under 100 pounds field dressed. Only one of the many I or others I hunted with varied from that less than 100 lbs. After I had him skinned curiosity got me, this one weight 160 pounds without the head and hid. Several years later I was told a neighbor had been putting out corn so they could watch the deer more. Once again corn fed makes a world of difference the only venison my wife ever said tasted good to her.

But Jordy tell dad congratulations from a guy that grew to lazy to want take care of the deer after the hunting is over.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2023 at 6:33 PM, 806Jordy said:

Opening day Rifle Season, Dad got a Nice one.

Pops deer 2023.jpg

Pops deer 2023 2.jpg

Thats a nice deer and good to see him out there. Question though, why do old men wear those boots? I have a pair and I can’t make it a whole day in them, old guys seem to love em. 

A dandy buck.  Well done, Sir.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 7:23 PM, vtfireman85 said:

Thats a nice deer and good to see him out there. Question though, why do old men wear those boots? I have a pair and I can’t make it a whole day in them, old guys seem to love em. 

Lacrosse Burly boots are the best rubber boots out there hands down. My opinion. Lots of people wear them here. I had mine on today actually.  

• Like 1

On 11/20/2023 at 2:23 PM, vtfireman85 said:

...you sticking with  ''crocks ''     Seth.....Camo ones for deer hunting ???;)

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, 766 Man said:

I did not hear one gun today and very few trucks parked along the road.  

Yesterday was PA opening day and we heard very little shooting. 

We are at a point in the cycle where there are most likely too many hunters for the land available.  The deer in the last few weeks most likely have moved to other areas where it is safer for them.  They were around prior to that in good numbers.    

• Like 1

Deer are breeding like rats in NE South Dakota.

The dead ones are along the road and to many with bits of plastic near them.

I try to NOT drive at night.

We counted 37 deer seasons in SD but there are not enough hunters.

They are coming into town and eating everything. 

Many died of malnutrition when we had a hard winter a couple years ago.

It is time to cull the herd?

• Like 1

I was informed through the grape vine yesterday that a cple "newbie" deer hunters were driving along, saw a monster buck, proceeded to fill it with round after round of lead. Well after 4 shots from one guy, and another from the other, and it was still standing, what the....., super buck or what, then noticed the blue lights coming around the corner. The big dummies not only were shooting from the road, shooting rifles in a muzzleloader unit only, and one guy didn't even have a deer tag.  Needless to say, besides shooting a "robo" deer, they lost their rifles, and both went home with plenty of tickets to go before the judge to see if they will get their guns back and find out how many years they will lose their licenses 😂😂.  One gun, I was told was a fancy new long range gun costing him around 5 grand. Might not be near as much fun, but following the rules really pays off in the long run.  Be careful everyone 

Mark 

• Haha 4

On 11/19/2023 at 6:23 PM, vtfireman85 said:

Probably no laces to deal with and waterproof, we still don't have snow and are still enjoying an incredibly mild fall but it could be just as easy -20