Old pickup insanity

chevenstein

I looked ten years for a descent used pickup truck .  If you find one buy it quick , here in NEO.

On 11/19/2023 at 3:03 AM, 560Dennis said:

I looked ten years for a descent used pickup truck .  If you find one buy it quick , here in NEO.

Just last week, I sold my old friend, my “antique” 2006 Toyota Tundra.

I had stumbled across a gorgeous pre-owned / certified 2022 Toyota 4RUNNER SR5 Premium 4WD at the ToJo dealer.

Some of you here know I’ve been wanting a 4RUNNER for a very long time. 

The dealer had just freshly taken in the 4RUNNER on trade from a lady owner when I saw it come in, and a saleslady told me it would take them a few days to process it, certify it, clean it up, (well it was already super clean) and to put it up for sale.

I told her I wanted first dibs on it when it was ready, and offered her a couple hundred bucks to hold it for me. She said that wouldn’t be necessary, and she promised me she would hold it for me and notify me as soon as it was ready. I was getting in to trouble real fast, lol. 

I didn’t want to trade my truck in because I figured I wouldn’t get as much for it as I would if I sold it myself. I had to  scramble to put it up for sale. I washed it and vacuumed it real good and shot pics of it.

I put it up for sale on Facebook Marketplace. I was really nervous, I was figuring it would take weeks to sell. I started getting swamped with online inquiries immediately. The first guy that messaged me about it included his phone number in his message and asked me to call him, he said he would buy my truck, cash. I thought holy sh_t W-T/F. 

I ended  up selling my truck to him the next day, less than 24 hours after posting my ad. I had 192,XXX miles on the truck. In my ad I was asking $13,000.00 for it. He and I settled on $11,500.00 for it. Wham bam thank you ma’am. 

My head was spinning. I was truckless. I called my saleslady at the dealer to inquire about the 4RUNNER. She had me  come in the next day. I drove the T4R, and loved it. Only 31,XXX miles on it and it was well taken care of. They had it priced at $39,000.00, and the lady and I hammered out a deal at $35,500.00, before tax, title, fees, etc. 

I am tickled pink with this thing. ‘til death do us part! Ha ha! 

Maybe I didn’t ask enough for my old truck, considering how quick it sold, I don’t know. It was pretty much in line with what others were selling for on the interweb. Oh well. Water under the bridge now.

Here’s a few pics of my old “antique” ‘06 Tundra, and my new love.

At $35,500.00, for a 2022 model, I think I got a lot of quality truck for my money, given the stupid high prices of new trucks these days. Built in Japan.

As a Toyota certified vehicle, I got a 12 month / 12,000 mile fresh bumper up bumper warranty on it. But I also sprung for the Toyota protection plan, for $1,700.00 which will take the bumper to bumper warranty on defects up to 7 years / 125,000 miles. Can’t beat that for peace of mind. I am very happy.

”But wait. There’s more!” Lol. When wifey drove me to the dealer to pick up my new T4R, she started nosing around the used car lot and came across a gorgeous 2022 Toyota RAV4 XLE Hybrid All Wheel Drive. We asked to drive it. Big mistake. Lol. I’ll continue story in a fresh reply…. TBC…. 

IMG_9157.jpeg

IMG_9155.jpeg

IMG_9295.jpeg

IMG_9294.jpeg

IMG_9296.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Rick G. said:

Just last week, I sold my old friend, my “antique” 2006 Toyota Tundra.

I had stumbled across a gorgeous pre-owned / certified 2022 Toyota 4RUNNER SR5 Premium 4WD at the ToJo dealer.

Some of you here know I’ve been wanting a 4RUNNER for a very long time. 

The dealer had just freshly taken in the 4RUNNER on trade from a lady owner when I saw it come in, and a saleslady told me it would take them a few days to process it, certify it, clean it up, (well it was already super clean) and to put it up for sale.

I told her I wanted first dibs on it when it was ready, and offered her a couple hundred bucks to hold it for me. She said that wouldn’t be necessary, and she promised me she would hold it for me and notify me as soon as it was ready. I was getting in to trouble real fast, lol. 

I didn’t want to trade my truck in because I figured I wouldn’t get as much for it as I would if I sold it myself. I had to  scramble to put it up for sale. I washed it and vacuumed it real good and shot pics of it.

I put it up for sale on Facebook Marketplace. I was really nervous, I was figuring it would take weeks to sell. I started getting swamped with online inquiries immediately. The first guy that messaged me about it included his phone number in his message and asked me to call him, he said he would buy my truck, cash. I thought holy sh_t W-T/F. 

I ended  up selling my truck to him the next day, less than 24 hours after posting my ad. I had 192,XXX miles on the truck. In my ad I was asking $11,500.00 for it. He and I settled on 10K even for it. Wham bam thank you ma’am. 

My head was spinning. I was truckless. I called my saleslady at the dealer to inquire about the 4RUNNER. She had me  come in the next day. I drove the T4R, and loved it. Only 31,XXX miles on it and it was well taken care of. They had it priced at $37,900.00, and the lady and I hammered out a deal at $35,500.00, before tax, title, fees, etc. 

I am tickled pink with this thing. ‘til death do us part! Ha ha! 

Maybe I didn’t ask enough for my old truck, considering how quick it sold, I don’t know. It was pretty much in line with what others were selling for on the interweb. Oh well. Water under the bridge now.

Here’s a few pics of my old “antique” ‘06 Tundra, and my new love.

At $35,500.00, for a 2022 model, I think I got a lot of quality truck for my money, given the stupid high prices of new trucks these days. Built in Japan.

As a Toyota certified vehicle, I got a 12 month / 12,000 mile fresh bumper up bumper warranty on it. But I also sprung for the Toyota protection plan, for $2,1XX.00, which will take by the bumper to bumper warranty on defects up to 7 years / 125,000 miles. Can’t beat that for peace of mind. I am very happy.

IMG_9157.jpeg

IMG_9155.jpeg

IMG_9295.jpeg

IMG_9294.jpeg

IMG_9296.jpeg

Story continues- So we drove this ‘22 RAV4 XLE All Wheel Drive Hybrid. It was very nice. Wifey had a 2019 Toyota Camry which we bought last Febuary as a “temporary” car for her, after her 2019 BMW X1 was stolen on her in Austin.

The BMW was found wrecked in Houston. We never saw it again. Well after seeing and driving this 2022 RAV4, wifey wanted out of the Camry. 

So long story short, we bailed out of the Camry- traded it in on the spot, and got her the cooler RAV4. Only 24,5XX miles on the RAV4 Hybrid. It was also  a Toyota certified vehicle, but we then also bought the Toyota Protection Plan for it as well, which will warranty defects bumper to bumper 7 years / 125,000 miles. Holy crap- never bought two vehicles back to back before, but we took the plunge. We thought we got a good deal on the Camry trade for the  RAV4. Wifey loves it so far, and the Hybrid feature is incredible. And it’s not the plug-in version, you don’t have to plug this one in. I don’t know who the h_ll would want a plug in hybrid, or a fully electric EV, when this hybrid seems to be the cat’s meow. 

So hopefully we see are all set for vehicles for quite some time to come, if they don’t get wrecked on us, or some SOB steals them! 😡 That was pretty traumatic when her BMW got stolen. Bassturds.

Here’s pics of wifey’s new RAV4 still setting at the dealer, while we were working on the deal. I don’t have any pics of it sitting at home yet. Another white vehicle. Coinkydink. Lol! 

Really awesome car. Love it so far! Wifey  likes how she sits up higher in it than she did in the Camry. 

IMG_9276.jpeg

IMG_9275.jpeg

IMG_9278.jpeg

• Like 3

I was incredibly lucky to find a '13 K2500 ext cab long bed with only 10,000 on the clock about 3 years ago. Truck was like new and I paid high book for it and was happy to. Book was mid 20s somewhere and I traded my '03 same type that needed rockers and cab corners. Around my area long bed PUs are like hen's teeth. Most are half ton four door short box luxury models that at most tow a boat but are more likely just commuting. 3/4 ton are hard to find in any configuration.

My wife's '13 Yukon was starting to show some rust although still performing well so we started looking for something a little smaller with better gas mileage to replace it. We looked at used Toyota Highlanders and found they were only a few thousand less than new so started looking at new. We found that the bullet proof V6 was being replaced in the '23s with a new turbo 4. I wasn't really too scared of the engine based on Toyota's quality but was having a hard time looking at the front end of the vehicle, which looks like one of Darth Vader's troopers.

We settled on a new Chevy Traverse which actually has as much room as her short Yukon. It's got all the bells and whistles like automatic heated steering wheel and seats and has the well proven V6 and is getting around 17 MPG short haul and into the 20s highway driving. List price was 48,000. With trade, teacher discount and other incentives bottom line was 38,500. Has a grill I can look at.

We could have sold the Yukon privately like we've always done and I could have done the same with my PU but the convenience was there just to trade; I'm just too busy with projects.

My Tech 2 scan tool is only good to 2013 GM so somewhere down the road I'll have to buy a new one as I won't send anything to a dealer to repair after warranty expires. Maybe an Autel, which will be good for kid's BMWs. Daughter's X1 is a turbo 4 which is actually just as fast as son's 328xi. She drives her car short haul mostly as takes train to work a few days a week and my son's car sits in the CG station parking lot as he walks to his apartment in Boston. He says he drives it around just to get the rust off the rotors. Can't be good for it.

Rick,  I agree 100%. Sounds like you made three really good deals there. Those vehicles would all be priced much higher in my area of New York. I switched my wife and daughters over to all Japanese vehicles over 10 years ago, and I don’t ever Plan on going back. We have had three RAV4’s and three Honda Civics, all amazing little vehicles and they sell instantly when you want to sell them. One of my closest friends has slowly been transitioning his entire family over to those hybrids. I believe his wife is on her second hybrid van now,  his in-laws have one of those hybrid RAV4’s like you just got  And I’m sure I have seen a hybrid Camry at their place as well, they have all been very happy with them

A set of diggers on it does wonders. It sort of looked ridiculous with the Kenda KR628's on it but it goes good.  My wife hauls the kids to school and actually never complained.  Of course if there was 6" to drive through that's a different story.......but if it's that bad it's not moving.  

54 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

A set of diggers on it does wonders. It sort of looked ridiculous with the Kenda KR628's on it but it goes good.  My wife hauls the kids to school and actually never complained.  Of course if there was 6" to drive through that's a different story.......but if it's that bad it's not moving.  

Are you talking about my 4RUNNER? Yes, I am going to be getting some more “trucky” looking tires for it. The Dunlop P275/70 R17s on it are perfectly fine for now, but I want  more of a “truck tire look”, with out getting too radical with a totally off road tread design. 

I’m not going to be going off roading with this thing. So I won’t be needing BFG KO2’s for example. 

I had COOPER Discoverer AT3s on my ‘06 Tundra 4WD, and really liked those tires. Not super radical in off road tread design. They were the “LT” rated tires in a Load Range “C”. 

I will probably go with those same style COOPER Discoverer AT3s in an LT load range C for my 4RUNNER as well.

I’ll post pics of it here when I get different tires on it, but I am not in  super big hurry to do so. ($$$.$$ 😂)

Anyone else  have a brand suggestion for some nice conservative tread AT type of tires for this thing?  (But I am NOT a fan of Good For A Year (GoodYear) tires.) I had GoodYear Wranglers on my Tundra before I switched to the COOPERs. I did not like those GY Wranglers at all. 

I just had to move a Bentley SUV so i could work over where it was parked. Check out the pricing. 
they are on the Audi Q7/VW Atlas platform. Now please explain how you apply that much extra value to a Volkswagen ? 

IMG_2897.png

15 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Now please explain how you apply that much extra value to a Volkswagen ? 

I dont think you can. But somebody must be ok with it.

On 11/18/2023 at 8:47 AM, F-301066460puller said:

Co worker just bought a Chevy Traxx has a little 3cyl in it. He said it was $26k idk if that was after trade though. His trade wouldn't have been much.

My Uncle showed me his new Chevy Traxx yesterday.   Traded his 13 year old Buick on it.  Had the troublesome Cadillac Northstar engine in it.  Longest he ever owned a car.  Went with a 3 year lease on the Traxx.  It was all he and my Aunt felt they could afford on their retirement incomes.  They are happy with it.  Sits up higher: better visibility and easier to get in and out of.  It's new, they drive less miles nowadays. Should work for them.

9 hours ago, stronger800 said:

Falken wild peak AT.  Local shop here has been selling lots of them last few years and I’ve been watching a few sets guys have. They like them and they look to wear good. 
i got a set of Firestone XT’s last year that I like. And Toyo AT’s that I don’t 

I will second that. I put a set on this spring. Love them.

12 hours ago, stronger800 said:

Falken wild peak AT.  Local shop here has been selling lots of them last few years and I’ve been watching a few sets guys have. They like them and they look to wear good. 
i got a set of Firestone XT’s last year that I like. And Toyo AT’s that I don’t 

Thanks stronger800 and melvinapple. I’ll put those Falken Wild Peaks on my list to check out. 

1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

And these are the terrible toyos. C5ACE882-E8A2-4D7F-AE3B-C2349F6388BA.thumb.png.fe851774e46f9387a2ebf32346ce2a74.png

What do you not like about the Toyos?

On 11/18/2023 at 8:32 AM, stronger800 said:

I counted 11 new Tahoe/Yukon/Suburbans out side of my grandson’s daycare yesterday. I think those start at about 93k now.  Wife’s friend drives one that I know was 103

Paid 90k for my 86 acre dairy farm 35 years ago within 2hrs of Pittsburgh, DC,Baltimore and 2 hrs of Philly. I can't see how people pay for these cars in 3,5 or even 7 years 

Toyos look good, are not loud but they are wearing faster than a $300 tire should and they are no good in light snow/slush/slop conditions.  I had the old fashioned style BFG  before these, and they were much better all around. (that pic was new, I’ve had them 16 months now) (Firestone pic I took yesterday).  Problem with the BFG is that they have taken away some of the tread depth that they always used to have in those bigger sizes, so they are not as aggressive or meaty as they used to be, and I swear the rubber is softer because they sure don’t last as long. I am buying a set  of those Falkens  for the next truck that needs them 

Any work vehicle is probably a bad investment but we all have to have one. I try to wait for a deal and have owned 6 trucks in my lifetime. My first rig was an 83 Ford with the 5.9 IH every one since has been a dodge with the Cummin's, they seem to hold there value well.

14 hours ago, stronger800 said:

Toyos look good, are not loud but they are wearing faster than a $300 tire should and they are no good in light snow/slush/slop conditions.  I had the old fashioned style BFG  before these, and they were much better all around. (that pic was new, I’ve had them 16 months now) (Firestone pic I took yesterday).  Problem with the BFG is that they have taken away some of the tread depth that they always used to have in those bigger sizes, so they are not as aggressive or meaty as they used to be, and I swear the rubber is softer because they sure don’t last as long. I am buying a set  of those Falkens  for the next truck that needs them 

I’ve been selling lots of the Toyos lately because they are a really good price this season and balance well.  I’ve heard mostly good things about them, slightly uneasy now hahaha, if they give me a couple complaints at least they should last longer than BFs and were less expensive 

The Falken is a good tire, I haven’t chose them often because they are closer to BF/Michelin money, maybe they are worth it 

I agree the BFs don’t seem to last like they used to and look like they have less tread than others.  I have some new Toyo and BF tires sitting here so I checked them out and they both have 16/32 of tread, they don’t look equal side by side 

IMG_2089.thumb.jpeg.845ce9797f4110339c36f2fbb083740b.jpegIMG_2090.thumb.jpeg.916484dbc49ce3f462b47fc35f25a9a9.jpeg

• Like 1