Old pickup insanity

chevenstein

I can't stand new cars/trucks and refuse to drive an automatic, so I can appreciate spending a lot of money on a 20+ year old vehicle that's in nice shape and have done so myself, but this auction that just closed nearby takes it to a whole new level.  I paid $11,500 in 2018 for a crew cab F250 with the six speed manual and a V10 and 72K on the clock that had never been driven in the winter (love that truck), but twice that for an older truck with more miles??!?  Insanity.

Screenshot at 2023-11-18 07-03-21.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supermechanic said:

New prices have driven the used market to sky-high levels.

A good friend paid 147,000 for a 4wd crew cab extended wheelbase diesel dually, with a 14ft enclosed utility.

These car companies are out of their cotton picking minds with these new truck prices. Cars too. Who the H_ll can afford to buy them? 60, 70, 80, 90, up to 100K plus for a pick up? Even a dang new WT work truck can be over 50K. If you can find one. Ludicrous insanity.

And personally, I find the idea of a small displacement 4 cylinder Turbo in a full size Chevy Silverado laughable. Let's see how durable that will be down the road.

Even Toyloda did away with their 5.7 L V-8 in their big Tundra. To be replaced by a twin turbo 3.5 L V-6? No thanks. 

• Like 4

I seen my first new Chevy Tahoe in a long time on the road. 

It still had dealer plates.

Those are probably $75,000?

With the high prices, poor quality, mediocre service and all the other problems, very few new ones are being bought.

That raises the price of the used ones.

A local Chevy dealer is after a friend to sell him his Tahoe and is offering big money.

But the guy refuses as he will have to spend more yet to get a replacement.

Supply and demand has run these used prices off the scale?

• Like 2

I think there's a group of us who want a basic truck to do truck things and don't want the fancy gadgets, computers touch screens or want heated seats..........crazy how truck commercials even changed. A truck pulling log trailers, or going up a pile of rocks with the competitor truck across the bed, to a group of businesses guys in flip flops watching an empty hand tool toolbox get dropped 3 ft into a truck bed. I need a different truck real soon and want to upgrade to a 3/4 ton......I'd just keep this current truck running if I didn't want to upgrade. No way will I or can I spend 80k on a truck.  I'm either going to look for a fleet truck or look for a truck from my youth and rather put money into that and legit parts than computer chips. Some guys are like us too. Maybe that truck has a memory or special meaning or worth something with low production. I'm sure people think we're crazy......" why do you collect tractor/paid so much for something from 1950"

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, F-301066460puller said:

10yr financing 

We might be on the cusp of seeing a lot of repo's start happening. I don't see how this lunacy is going to be sustainable. I hope these over priced monstrosities start piling up on the dealer's lots unsold and they start choking on them. I don't believe the economy in this country is that "rose colored glasses pie in the sky" great that the majority of the public can just go out and purchase a 40K, 50K thru 100K plus truck.

• Like 3

It’s easy.  Get extended financing, buy the 100K Yukon suburban denali king ranch LTD long horn truck nutz edition of your choice and make a house payment for it each month. You will trade it in two years anyhow and can just add to your debt load more then. Before you know it, you’re in so far you would need a $500K/yr job to even think about getting out. Bank makes money, dealership makes money, and the government gets their share each time it changes hands.  Why would “they” stop you?  No self respecting mother can show up to $1K/month daycare in a $2500 car…..  

All said tongue in cheek. We all know you have to pay to play whether you like it or not. It’s becoming increasingly harder to do that and stay “above water” in the checkbook. BUT WAIT, they may not take a check….

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have two club cab first gen Cummins Dodge trucks. They were made from 91-93.

The first generation 4x4 Cummins have been very high for a long time. Most were farm trucks and lived hard lives. Not many made and fewer left.

They can be made from a 2wd with a donor truck. Basic frame is the same but several pieces must be swapped out.

• Like 2

Around here, trucks last forever. I don’t plan to buy one anytime soon. I’ll just keep replacing engines, transmissions and axles and keep what I got. If you’re even a little bit handy, there are some good deals still to be had. A truck that needs work will be passed over by a lot of people. My work truck is 30 years old and I’m not even close to done with it. It needs an engine as soon as I can get to it. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

It’s easy.  Get extended financing, buy the 100K Yukon suburban denali king ranch LTD long horn truck nutz edition of your choice and make a house payment for it each month. You will trade it in two years anyhow and can just add to your debt load more then. Before you know it, you’re in so far you would need a $500K/yr job to even think about getting out. Bank makes money, dealership makes money, and the government gets their share each time it changes hands.  Why would “they” stop you?  No self respecting mother can show up to $1K/month daycare in a $2500 car…..  

All said tongue in cheek. We all know you have to pay to play whether you like it or not. It’s becoming increasingly harder to do that and stay “above water” in the checkbook. BUT WAIT, they may not take a check….

BINGO.  There's a world of people out there who haven't had their teeth kicked down their throat financially - yet.

Not wishing ill on anyone, but it's gonna be really bad when the financial chickens come home to roost.  And I'm afraid those chickens are already in the air.

• Like 4

The market is crazy for all vehicles right now though. We have been looking for something for my wife. Mid size SUV. Replacing a 2013 Ford Fusion with 150K miles. Looking for used initially with 20-35k miles.  In any brand you pick right now the low mileage used vehicles are about $2-4k under new price. I’m realistic and I know that +$2-4K is better than 20-40k miles worth of wear.  It’s hard to work in this market. 

I’m like most of you here. I would like quality I can take care of. I do my own service work and oil changes. If it is beyond my knowledge I learn or pay to have it fixed. No cobbled up crap and nothing luxurious to start with. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

BINGO.  There's a world of people out there who haven't had their teeth kicked down their throat financially - yet.

Not wishing ill on anyone, but it's gonna be really bad when the financial chickens come home to roost.  And I'm afraid those chickens are already in the air.

Man we just did this about 15 years ago.  Crazy how short people's memories are.

I'd like to get a new pickup myself, but these prices are insane.  I work at a Jeep dealer.  We have Jeep COMPASS's that sticker over 40k.  The Compass is a go cart with a Jeep emblem on the front.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5088 said:

Man we just did this about 15 years ago.  Crazy how short people's memories are.

I'd like to get a new pickup myself, but these prices are insane.  I work at a Jeep dealer.  We have Jeep COMPASS's that sticker over 40k.  The Compass is a go cart with a Jeep emblem on the front.

Co worker just bought a Chevy Traxx has a little 3cyl in it. He said it was $26k idk if that was after trade though. His trade wouldn't have been much.

55 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I see lots of new/nearly new pickups, Yukons, etc. here.  Very few are worked hard if at all.  I'm sure most are mainly intended to impress peers.

My impression is "show me the title".  Then I may be impressed.

3 hours ago, chevenstein said:

I can't stand new cars/trucks and refuse to drive an automatic, so I can appreciate spending a lot of money on a 20+ year old vehicle that's in nice shape and have done so myself, but this auction that just closed nearby takes it to a whole new level.  I paid $11,500 in 2018 for a crew cab F250 with the six speed manual and a V10 and 72K on the clock that had never been driven in the winter (love that truck), but twice that for an older truck with more miles??!?  Insanity.

Screenshot at 2023-11-18 07-03-21.png

And, it looked worse in person than it does in the pictures. I almost think that must have been a family member bidding on it.

Just recently went through this myself. Had a gal turn in front of me on Sept 12 and I totaled the 82 F250 I was driving. 311K, rusted out and insurance payout was crazy high which did surprise me. Anyway I found a 1994 F250 sitting at 140K. Has the 7.3 diesel and 5 speed. XL trim level so pretty basic which is great for a farm truck. I thought I paid to much for it, after looking at the Dodge I did OK at $8500. Nice thing about this truck is no computers to contend with, just a honest work truck that is capable of 20 mpg which was a nice surprise.

I have no desires for a new truck or car with all the government BS they now require. 

• Like 2