At least, It's RED!

nepoweshiekfarmalls

I have been looking around for a gas powered 4x4 to use on the 4 1/2 miles (each way) of gravel I navigate to work in the winter.  I love my 7.3 diesel Fords, but they are not as handy in bitter cold temps.  The dually, being so long, just high centers on longer drifts.  

I found this 2004 a couple weeks ago and spent some time working out the kinks and applying my touches to the truck.  The 5.4 has had cam phasers replaced and a new transmission not long ago.  Cat back dual exhaust takes me back to my high school days....😁  31×17 BF Goodrich TA tires on Pro Comp 65 wheels.  Kenwood touch screen stereo with all the hands free and Bluetooth convenience. Has some rust, but pretty good for an Iowa truck! 

Had to replace the front end due to a deer strike. Some faulty sensors,  bad bulbs and cobbled up wiring. But, with some effort and elbow grease, I made a decent looking truck out of it.  Will work for what I need it for.  Enjoying it for sure!

20231116_190228.jpg

20231116_190239.jpg

20231116_190254.jpg

20231116_190309.jpg

20231116_190330.jpg

20231116_190346.jpg

20231116_190406.jpg

20231116_200207.jpg

20231116_200221.jpg

20231116_200235.jpg

20231116_200251.jpg

• Like 20

3 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

I have been looking around for a gas powered 4x4 to use on the 4 1/2 miles (each way) of gravel I navigate to work in the winter.  I love my 7.3 diesel Fords, but they are not as handy in bitter cold temps.  The dually, being so long, just high centers on longer drifts.  

I found this 2004 a couple weeks ago and spent some time working out the kinks and applying my touches to the truck.  The 5.4 has had cam phasers replaced and a new transmission not long ago.  Cat back dual exhaust takes me back to my high school days....😁  31×17 BF Goodrich TA tires on Pro Comp 65 wheels.  Kenwood touch screen stereo with all the hands free and Bluetooth convenience. Has some rust, but pretty good for an Iowa truck! 

Had to replace the front end due to a deer strike. Some faulty sensors,  bad bulbs and cobbled up wiring. But, with some effort and elbow grease, I made a decent looking truck out of it.  Will work for what I need it for.  Enjoying it for sure!

20231116_190228.jpg

20231116_190239.jpg

20231116_190254.jpg

20231116_190309.jpg

20231116_190330.jpg

20231116_190346.jpg

20231116_190406.jpg

20231116_200207.jpg

20231116_200221.jpg

20231116_200235.jpg

20231116_200251.jpg

Nice truck!

I had one of those trucks. 5.4, 4x4, supercab, 6.5' bed, set up just like yours. Other than the cam phasers they are pretty reliable.  I used mine like a 3/4. Really liked that truck, somebody pulled out right in front of me and totalled it. I replaced it with my '97 7.3, which I like better. But my wife still misses the 150. I guess she has some fond memories of it?

• Thanks 1

Looks really nice.  Gonna take some effort to keep it lookin' good on those gravel roads in winter (and spring, and summer, and fall).

8 hours ago, FoxrunFarms02 said:

Maybe why he was at the jewelry store. Gas station flowers and a big ol' rock.

I enjoy photography and I thought the Christmas display and old time look of the store made a nice backdrop.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

I enjoy photography and I thought the Christmas display and old time look of the store made a nice backdrop.

The old time looking down town decorated caught my eye too. Very pretty. The town I live in has maybe 6 stores(half of them empty) down town and no one decorates. The bit bigger town I grew up in a similar down like in your pictures they decorate like that and close up the down town for a weekend and have a winter carnival with food trucks and ice skating there.

Really like the truck by the way.

Looks really nice. Watch out for the spark plugs popping out. Is this one of the vintage where the spark plugs would pop out of their holes? For a while there Ford had a problem with plugs popping out due to not enough threads in the heads to keep the plugs from blowing out. I can't remember what model years were affected by this.

1 minute ago, Rick G. said:

Looks really nice. Watch out for the spark plugs popping out. Is this one of the vintage where the spark plugs would pop out of their holes? For a while there Ford had a problem with plugs popping out due to not enough threads in the heads to keep them from blowing out. I can't remember what model years were affected by this.

If he's replaced the catalytic converter, he should be okay. It was something about too much exhaust manifold pressure. My '06 never had this problem but my neighbor's '05 did. Also had trouble keeping exhaust gaskets on it.

2 minutes ago, TN Hillbilly said:

If he's replaced the catalytic converter, he should be okay. It was something about too much exhaust manifold pressure. My '06 never had this problem but my neighbor's '05 did. Also had trouble keeping exhaust gaskets on it.

Interesting. Thanks. This reminds me of something else- I see some older Ford pick ups down here in TX occasionally where the exhaust tail pipe comes out ahead of the rear tire. Weird. I wonder if this some local fad or a TX thing, or has anyone else in other areas seen these with the exhaust pipe coming out in front of the rear tire?

Just now, Rick G. said:

Interesting. Thanks. This reminds me of something else- I see some older Ford pick ups down here in TX occasionally where the exhaust tail pipe comes out ahead of the rear tire. Weird. I wonder if this some local fad or a TX thing, or has anyone else in other areas seen these with the exhaust pipe coming out in front of the rear tire?

They came that way in '97? When that style first came out

5 minutes ago, Rick G. said:

Its factory. The new body style in '97 has the exhaust routed that way with at least the 4.6 V8. Can't remember if the other engine options had the exhaust run like that, or behind the tire. I kinda think the other engines were behind the tire.

4 minutes ago, F-301066460puller said:

They came that way in '97? When that style first came out

Seriously? Seems dumb to do that for a normal truck that's not been customized. Wonder what their deal was.

10 minutes ago, Rick G. said:

My first job out of college I had a ‘97 F150 with the 4.6 for a company vehicle that was like that. Seems like the heat from the exhaust caused that rear chrome wheel to get tarnished. I had 2 company pickups over the years with a 4.6. I would want to tow much with them but we’re a good efficient motor for what I used them for.

Is this the 5.4 three valve?

If the cam phasers have been replaced, is that problem solved, forever, or can it happen again?

All the big shops have these on their top 5 worst engines list.

They all agree that when the valve train starts ticking, it is time to fix it.

Many don't fix the issue early and then it needs a complete engine.

They all agree, Buyer Beware!

Nice truck, downtown pic shows the true cost of inflation, past was a nice supper out with the Mrs, today parked in front of the jewelry store 💍

6 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Yes.  Always wanted a set.  They really change the attitude of the truck.

Previous look:Screenshot_20231028-213926_Google.thumb.jpg.04001a0e73d195f2e1be60c3b668b4cb.jpg

The wheels you put on do look a lot better than what came on it. Nice.

Any and all of the Ford "mod motors" 4.6, or 5.4 that I have seen with cam phaser issues boiled down to maintenance. Timing chains and cam shaft failure are closely tied to cam phaser failure. I have a nephew that has sworn off Ford forever because of them. When we took off his front cover, the sludge build up looked exactly like the cover had never been removed. His dipstick was rusted in the tube. Guess we know how often he checked and changed oil...

Another family member had 4.6 phaser issues in his F150. He runs the cheapest oil he can get. Brand name unknown but the bottle says "engine oil 5W30". Fram filters...run away.

I have always ran Motorcraft oil and filters on the 4.6 and 5.4 that I owned and never had any issues. Our 5.4 Expedition was at 385k miles when I sold it. Ran as it did at 20k when I bought it 13 years prior. Saving $5 on an oil change costs big $ down the line. Take care of it the way the manufacturer intended and it will serve you well.

Nice looking truck. I see mud flaps front and back. I don't think those are factory running boards but boards and not step tubes will protect the rockers from gravel roads. Nicely set up. I like it.👍