1949 Super A repair/restoration

TexasPatriot

I inherited my family’s 1949 Super A and wanted to document the journey. 

My Grandfather bought it brand new in November 1949 from a dealer here in the Houston area. This is the first tractor my family bought to replace the horses and mules they utilized on the farm. Between him and my father, this tractor was used almost daily until 2008 when we sold the family farm due to the ever increasing urban expansion. 

After the farm was sold, my father continued to use it to maintain his 2 acre garden. Then in 2018, he drove it into his garage with the plans of restoring it show room quality.

Unfortunately, shortly after he started to work on it, his Parkinson’s really took ahold of him and he was no longer able to work on it. On October 28, 2022 he passed away.

From late 2018- November 15, 2023, it sat in his garage collecting dust and in need of some love. This is where the next chapter of the Super A story begins. 

I plan on fully going through the entire tractor, repairing and restoring it with the help of my son (8) and daughter (6). 

I hope y’all follow along and enjoy it. 

IMG_7438.jpeg

IMG_7426.jpeg

IMG_7435.jpeg

IMG_7434.jpeg

IMG_7431.jpeg

• Like 8

Oh, man!   That's great   I hope you & your kids have the best time doing this.  Not often you get a chance to work on something so "part of the family history."

I hope you got the cultivator parts that go with the frame.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Oh, man!   That's great   I hope you & your kids have the best time doing this.  Not often you get a chance to work on something so "part of the family history."

I hope you got the cultivator parts that go with the frame.

Yes I completely agree, most guys my age buy project trucks but fixing this up means more to me and my mother. Spending good quality time with my children will make memories that they will cherish forever.

I have multiple complete sets of cultivators, side dressers, middle busters, fertilizer hoppers, tons of different sweeps, homemade grader blade and even a fully functional belly mower. I also have an aftermarket 3 point hitch set up. 

• Like 2

Very cool indeed. Your family can cherish it forever and lots of great memories. I personally know because I have a super A and an M from my grandfather that are now restored. I bout a woods belly mower for the super A and mow a 3 acre lot.

Great,really cool story. Original farm tractor that your grandfather bought. What amazes me is that the Super A is smaller than the compact tractors that are sold by ton today and is actually a REAL tractor made to work.The compacts are made to so people think they have a tractor when they basically got a oversize lawnmower. The letter series did a lot of work,made all kinds of money for the farmers that bought them.Now the same acres farmed by a H,M, guy thinks he needs 150 hp air conditioned 4wd to get it done.

• 1 month later...

@TexasPatriot Hi there, I just came across your post when searching for stuff on Super A's. I'm from NZ and I'm on the journey of owning my first vintage tractor. I have an option on a Farmall H, about an hour away from me, and also a Super A, but that is a long way away from me. I'm kinda more interested in the Super A, which is running but also needs a full resto and would be in similar condition to yours. Great story, and definitely keen to follow your progress on here. Cheers!