Crack along the bead on tractor tire.

Farming Enthusiast

Have you guys ever seen a Firestone tire crack along the bead like this? And if so would you buy them or is this a deal breaker. These are 18.4x34 radials and Firestone doesn't make the 23 degree radials in that size  anymore so if I had to replace it, it would be a mismatch situation 

EF74ADA8-19F6-41E4-A18A-EF08A41F1D2D.png

49A5AA96-14BC-48C6-A806-8E3BFEB191AF.png

I had a split like that on the 966 with a (not Firestone) 18.4x38 tire that also leaked calcium around the valve stem. (turned out the stem had sheared from the tube.) The tire man pumped/ replaced tube/ reassembled said tire. He barely made it out of the driveway when BLAM! tire blew.

I would use a tire like that to hold down the plastic on the corn bunk. Nothing else.

12 hours ago, Farming Enthusiast said:

Have you guys ever seen a Firestone tire crack along the bead like this? And if so would you buy them or is this a deal breaker. These are 18.4x34 radials and Firestone doesn't make the 23 degree radials in that size  anymore so if I had to replace it, it would be a mismatch situation 

EF74ADA8-19F6-41E4-A18A-EF08A41F1D2D.png

49A5AA96-14BC-48C6-A806-8E3BFEB191AF.png

Firestone 18.4 radials 23 degree. Been progressively getting worse for 3 years ,tractor probably doesn't get 50 hrs of light work a year. Just waiting for this side to blow out. I would be afraid of the prying and stretching of mounting them would make it worse. 

20231116_180015.jpg

20231116_175947.jpg

44 minutes ago, KY2674 said:

Firestone 18.4 radials 23 degree. Been progressively getting worse for 3 years ,tractor probably doesn't get 50 hrs of light work a year. Just waiting for this side to blow out. I would be afraid of the prying and stretching of mounting them would make it worse. 

20231116_180015.jpg

20231116_175947.jpg

Thanks. I was a little nervous about it. For that reason I'd like to find a set that are on rims if I'm gonna get used because I can't believe dismounting and mounting them again is real good for them. 

I'd stay clear. 3 out of 4 on our one 4wd have cracked on the pry notch and blown out. The 4th one is cracking there and starting to open up. Only had that issue on the Firestone's so far. First one to blow was only a little over a year old. Rest of the tire looks like new

1 hour ago, Farming Enthusiast said:

Thanks. I was a little nervous about it. For that reason I'd like to find a set that are on rims if I'm gonna get used because I can't believe dismounting and mounting them again is real good for them. 

Mounting and dismounting tires in good condition, If done properly, should not hurt them. The ones shown here by others as well as the one cracking out that you show, I would say was some kind of manufacturing defect. I would avoid those.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Mounting and dismounting tires in good condition, If done properly, should not hurt them. The ones shown here by others as well as the one cracking out that you show, I would say was some kind of manufacturing defect. I would avoid those.....

From what we found out from Firestone at the time, was that there was a bad run of tires having this defect on the pry notch. Would be tires manufactured in the early 2000's I think it was. And warranty wouldn't cover it. Must've been enough like ours for them to be aware of it, but they sure didn't want to admit to it.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, axial_al said:

I always thought cracking all around the bead like that was caused by running under-inflated.

Firestone and Michelin promote running lower tire pressure in their radials for less compaction but from what I've heard it just causes problems