Jump to content

More pictures from my grandparents/parents farm.


FoxrunFarms02

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

  I really am enjoying your pictures.  You seldom see a 350 forage harvester or a Super M sporting mounted cultivators anymore.  

Ironically my dad bought an m in the early 90's as a pto and yard tractor that had cultivators on......they got removed and sold unfortunately no pictures of it with them on.

original_d4db0d28-6014-4599-8375-3d5d68f4b29f_20221029_150313.thumb.jpg.93b2715c74dc7b0c5c6935cc63628e0a.jpg

for some reason I really like "newer" tractors mounted cultivators.

original_0255edee-d3d5-4285-9b58-156955741487_Screenshot_20210223-195714_Facebook.jpg.5ffc9639f25ab5dc5ff9e50ce5086296.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

Is that a pile of cobs?  If it is I would be curious what they did with them after the shelled the corn. 

It's cobs of corn. They'd fill the wooden crib, a wire crib then on a good year have 2 to 3 snow fence rings. On great years they'd fill the alley of the wooden crib. They'd take off the alley way or snow fence cribs 1st to try to prevent critter or weather related loss.

Screenshot_20220515-122855_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.74ed8a8091688d09dd12a763bbccc2cb.jpgoriginal_777a03e9-6f84-46f0-b21d-472112043137_20230317_123829.thumb.jpg.f66320605f1477c4a30406d2ac5005c6.jpgoriginal_d00073c9-5ff9-4100-8607-9cf135d24b7a_20230317_124448.thumb.jpg.a77cc4fec2012f1753792c3c045edc81.jpgScreenshot_20220515-122833_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.07ff3ce1d47e4aec54ae016457de2498.jpgoriginal_d464375c-f1c4-4e27-8ce6-33384cb1484d_20230317_124442.thumb.jpg.b8145f693fbb2372aa2ce0b4d1287c4c.jpg

I worked at a case ih dealer out of high-school. I had to pick a tractor that was in a dirt floor shed. I walked into the shed and there were gopher like holes all over the place.  In the corner of the shed was about a small gravity box or two of cob corn piled on the ground and 3 rats the size of house cats just staring at me. I'd hate to imagine the critter haven of having corn piled outside back in the day......my grandparents always had plenty of cats around.

 

I vaguely remember in the early 90's my parents stopped grinding cob corn and a neighbor bought what was left of it in the crib. He came with an old truck mounted sheller and shelled it. He kept the cobs and grounded them up to make shavings type bedding for his pigs.

 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hobbyfarm said:

Is that a pile of cobs?  If it is I would be curious what they did with them after the shelled the corn. 

Lot of folks spread or piled them in The feeder cattle lot in the winter to give the cattle someplace dry(er) to rest out of the mud.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You had someone in the family that liked taking pictures before you were around 😊. Most people aren’t lucky enough to have so many day to day pictures like that. Thanks again for sharing them. I’ve been through all my family photo albums and there are 3-4 pics total showing any machinery. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had a four row mounted cultivator on an 856. I never much cared for cultivating but the front mounted was a lot nicer than the three point rigs we had later on. No one cultivates corn anymore, that i know of,we have a 6 and an 8 row sitting in the fence line.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

You had someone in the family that liked taking pictures before you were around 😊. Most people aren’t lucky enough to have so many day to day pictures like that. My

My grandparents were pretty good about taking pictures.  Here are a few from the late '40s / early 50's, taken at my grandpa's sale when he moved to town.

 

I love looking at the faces, clothes, hats, and vehicles.

PICT0141.thumb.JPG.155a99ce50eaae59e838e3f9ffaba6c8.JPG

My grandma with one of Dad's friends

PICT0129.thumb.JPG.5312e16baee57ca3507bb0a9ba593bd2.JPG

One of my aunts, and one of her brothers:

PICT0136.thumb.JPG.df89ab899978b38b48b490ea27940a06.JPG

A lot of wisdom in this bunch

PICT0134.thumb.JPG.51b52133a1a3d412d7976e0481fd658a.JPG

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Steve C. said:

My grandparents were pretty good about taking pictures.  Here are a few from the late '40s / early 50's, taken at my grandpa's sale when he moved to town.

 

I love looking at the faces, clothes, hats, and vehicles.

PICT0141.thumb.JPG.155a99ce50eaae59e838e3f9ffaba6c8.JPG

My grandma with one of Dad's friends

PICT0129.thumb.JPG.5312e16baee57ca3507bb0a9ba593bd2.JPG

One of my aunts, and one of her brothers:

PICT0136.thumb.JPG.df89ab899978b38b48b490ea27940a06.JPG

A lot of wisdom in this bunch

PICT0134.thumb.JPG.51b52133a1a3d412d7976e0481fd658a.JPG

Same here. I'm thankful my grandma and mom took a lot of pictures.  It's a shame there's no such thing as an actual picture or photo album anymore. I like taking pictures of projects around my hobby farm and some day I hope to put them all on a cd or print them for my son. Buying my farm I asked the 5 kids if they had any old pictures or photo albums........"nope we threw them away".........go figure they couldn't make any money off them.

 

I enjoy too looking at the old styles of back then. Actual work /farm clothes and a feed or seed hat. Years ago a farmer I was working for and I went to an auction. His son decided to come too.......of course he came the last 20 minutes because that's when he finally woke up and came walking up to us in white tennis shoes, windpants and a windbreaker holding a Starbucks cup.............mid November 22 degrees out, rain snow, sloppy mess..... he got some looks lol.

 

My grandparents auction fall of 1986.

20220515_123708.thumb.jpg.f8f077c10f5817025177bcae4d127370.jpg20220515_123747.thumb.jpg.d03ff8981afa8c73e890a62f11d137a1.jpg20220515_123655.thumb.jpg.44aeba1690c52c60542f0e0e03f9d638.jpg20220515_123802.thumb.jpg.73f122b678186025570c3798cf3a7c94.jpg20220515_123818.thumb.jpg.7f5f039e5f0f0d35b38c29babdda519d.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

MikeM and I had the pleasure to go to a little town and pickup a couple rear tires for a project.

We talked with the owner for quite awhile and he then opened his shed.

He has owned 5 Super M TA's and 3 350 diesels.

He had many other IH's in the shed and has done some pulling.

He has had his share of medical issues but still goes on tractor drives, and to other tractor events. 

We got home after dark because we talked with this guy for over two hours.

The Good Lord willing, we will both be in Spencer and we can talk again. 

It was one of the most pleasurable afternoons I had spent in years.

Take the time to go through those photos with your next of kin. 

Ask them and not us.

It will make their day. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

Is that a pile of cobs?  If it is I would be curious what they did with them after the shelled the corn. 

Dad would grind ear corn with a 3/4" screen as a ration for the calves after weaning. 

Put a little weight on them before the sale barn.

Many times the cobs went to the pigs.

They would pick through a get the remaining corn kernels off the cobs and also eat some.

The cobs were also kept dry and used for heat in the cook stoves in the kitchen.

They put out a lot of heat but it took more than wood.

Little went to waste on the farm.

The farmer invented recycling.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

MikeM and I had the pleasure to go to a little town and pickup a couple rear tires for a project.

We talked with the owner for quite awhile and he then opened his shed.

He has owned 5 Super M TA's and 3 350 diesels.

He had many other IH's in the shed and has done some pulling.

He has had his share of medical issues but still goes on tractor drives, and to other tractor events. 

We got home after dark because we talked with this guy for over two hours.

The Good Lord willing, we will both be in Spencer and we can talk again. 

It was one of the most pleasurable afternoons I had spent in years.

Take the time to go through those photos with your next of kin. 

Ask them and not us.

It will make their day. 

Years ago looking for equipment for my farm I ran into a few guys like that too. It made their day showing me around their collection or stuff in thr fence line.I use to flip equipment as a hobby and had a few guys like that stop by also.......some over stayed. Unfortunately with all the scams, no shows, no calls " why are you upset? I'll get it when I get to it" types of people it's easier going through a consignment lot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They didn't have a food truck, but they did have food.

 

PICT0137.JPG

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was in Germany flying the East German border with the 11th ACR out of Bad Hersfeld when Dad had his sale in 77.  All these sale pictures make me realize what I missed.  He kept his Ford 350 with combo grain/stock bed, the 966 with all it's implements and the 715 with it's heads.  It just wasn't the same coming home that fall and going to their new house in Coggon instead of the farm between Marion and Springville.  I doubt if I will ever see the pictures taken while I was growing up and the one's my mom had.  My brother has them and isn't interested in sharing them if he hasn't thrown them out.

  • Sad 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, FoxrunFarms02 said:

Same here. I'm thankful my grandma and mom took a lot of pictures.  It's a shame there's no such thing as an actual picture or photo album anymore. I like taking pictures of projects around my hobby farm and some day I hope to put them all on a cd or print them for my son. Buying my farm I asked the 5 kids if they had any old pictures or photo albums........"nope we threw them away".........go figure they couldn't make any money off them.

 

I enjoy too looking at the old styles of back then. Actual work /farm clothes and a feed or seed hat. Years ago a farmer I was working for and I went to an auction. His son decided to come too.......of course he came the last 20 minutes because that's when he finally woke up and came walking up to us in white tennis shoes, windpants and a windbreaker holding a Starbucks cup.............mid November 22 degrees out, rain snow, sloppy mess..... he got some looks lol.

 

My grandparents auction fall of 1986.

20220515_123708.thumb.jpg.f8f077c10f5817025177bcae4d127370.jpg20220515_123747.thumb.jpg.d03ff8981afa8c73e890a62f11d137a1.jpg20220515_123655.thumb.jpg.44aeba1690c52c60542f0e0e03f9d638.jpg20220515_123802.thumb.jpg.73f122b678186025570c3798cf3a7c94.jpg20220515_123818.thumb.jpg.7f5f039e5f0f0d35b38c29babdda519d.jpg

Hardly see anybody wearing bibs anymore either. I see more truck drivers wearing them than farmers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Steve C. said:

My grandparents were pretty good about taking pictures.  Here are a few from the late '40s / early 50's, taken at my grandpa's sale when he moved to town.

 

I love looking at the faces, clothes, hats, and vehicles.

PICT0141.thumb.JPG.155a99ce50eaae59e838e3f9ffaba6c8.JPG

My grandma with one of Dad's friends

PICT0129.thumb.JPG.5312e16baee57ca3507bb0a9ba593bd2.JPG

One of my aunts, and one of her brothers:

PICT0136.thumb.JPG.df89ab899978b38b48b490ea27940a06.JPG

A lot of wisdom in this bunch

PICT0134.thumb.JPG.51b52133a1a3d412d7976e0481fd658a.JPG

I don’t want to hear you complaining about young kids and their baggy pants anymore!😂

that top top picture, the guy turned sort of towards the camera, is he a relative? Dead ringer for @1586 Jeff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seth - I can't make fun of baggy pants cause I wear baggy carpenter jeans every day.

I can't ID anyone in that first picture.

Cattle have changed a little over the years.  That's my grandpa with those unruly black calves.

 

 

PICT0133.JPG

PICT0121.JPG

 

This looks like the judging team.PICT0121_edited.jpg

PICT0124.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/16/2023 at 5:44 AM, Sledgehammer said:

You had someone in the family that liked taking pictures before you were around 😊. Most people aren’t lucky enough to have so many day to day pictures like that. Thanks again for sharing them. I’ve been through all my family photo albums and there are 3-4 pics total showing any machinery. 

My grandma and mom took them......maybe why I am the way I am with my phone camera. I enjoy sharing them and someday when I'm old I'd like to look back at my small place or have my son do the same. It's just something about an old grainy faded picture that brings you back to a more simple time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...