Used diesel pickups Good / Bad

KY2674

2 hours ago, Farmall 1466 said:

As long as a diesel gets long trips regularly, there is no issue. My uncle owns a transportation company with 15 trucks in operation. He never had major emissions stuff failure. At home, we also have diesel cars. This is the second to use DEF. Never had any trouble with that either and have not heard of any major failures from people around. Sure, some sensor may fail once in 200k kilometers, but so can other sensor in your car, no big deal.

All this DPF clogging up crap is because the engine is not used as it should: its used for short trips with the engine not getting up to operating temperature. That is recipe for disaster

To add, I think diesel engineering, including the emission systems, is just better at this side of the ocean, definitely for regular cars, but maybe also for the bigger diesels in tractors and trucks for example.

I am also of the impression that full consumption of the def onboard before refilling, and refilling with a fresh container is key to avoiding issues. 

The US is still trying to use emission laws that started out in 1976.

Many of the hot rodders in California can meet emissions without the catalytic converter.

But, they have to have one. WHY?

If I was President, I would tell the manufacturers to see what they could build with NO EPA REGULATIONS.

The computer has cleaned things up so well, maybe these rules are not needed anymore.

Let the manufacturers try and see what they can come up with.

That is the American way!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

The US is still trying to use emission laws that started out in 1976.

Many of the hot rodders in California can meet emissions without the catalytic converter.

But, they have to have one. WHY?

If I was President, I would tell the manufacturers to see what they could build with NO EPA REGULATIONS.

The computer has cleaned things up so well, maybe these rules are not needed anymore.

Let the manufacturers try and see what they can come up with.

That is the American way!

One of the local USDA offices here has a sign hanging up in it that says “There’s no reason for it, it’s just our policy”. It’s funny because it is mostly true.

Maybe 20 years here in the US. If newish they have to meet EPA and safety standards. 

Military personnel used to get to import one personal vehicle but I don't know if that's still available. A friend bought a Porsche 911 that a vet brought over. Everything was marked in German and metric.

12 hours ago, New Englander said:

There was cheating in the past for Europe standards as well. Are they still cheating after having been caught?

They won’t need to, most of them have their last light vehicle engines in production now.

Then it’s all electric vehicles for the average person 

7 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

They won’t need to most of them have their last light vehicle engines in production now 

I take it that they have high-hopes of the Chinese playing fairly with the new non internal combustion engines.

1 hour ago, oleman said:

I take it that they have high-hopes of the Chinese playing fairly with the new non internal combustion engines.

Yes 

They have been made to believe that they are the problem and need to use ZEVs for transportation 

What they should be made aware of is you can't trust the Chinese.

They are run by a dictator who is a commie and wants to rule the world 

Hopefully we can stop it here  

4 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

They won’t need to most of them have their last light vehicle engines in production now.

Then it’s all electric vehicles for the average person 

Unless they come to their senses. 

7 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

Still cheating 

And it was to increase mileage and if they didn't cheat the mileage would not have been an advantage for the sale of cars by the cheaters  

I think it had mostly to do with NOx emissions. Running at high temperatures reduces sooth output but increases NOx output. Temporarily decreasing temperatures created very low NOx emissions and the DPF was able to compensate for the temporary higher sooth output. That kinda was how it worked

6 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I am also of the impression that full consumption of the def onboard before refilling, and refilling with a fresh container is key to avoiding issues. 

Yes true. It can crystallize. When driving enough, its not a problem but when thats not the case, these crystals clogg the system.

19 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Unless they come to their senses. 

Not gonna happen. A lot of people, especially youngsters are lost. The majority of youngsters in Western Europe vote left. I'm not going to make it political here, but these left parties really make everyone think EV's are going to contribute to lower global temperatures. Its not like we are in control of that.

Just now, acem said:

Don't most Europeans use public transportation in urban areas?

If most of our city folk would use public transportation to go to work, etc it would reduce our vehicle emissions a great deal.

Public transportation sucks. Like 10% of the trains are cancelled here and its even worse in Germany. In the Netherlands, students get public transport for free and its the only reason I use it (well also because operating a car is crazy expensive). 

Sure, inside cities, public transport works reasonably well, because of metro's and trams. But once you set one step outside city borders, all that convenience is lost. As I live on the countryside, it is always a question wether I make it to University on time.

Thats what causes these massive traffic jams inside the cities: people not living there driving to their job because public transport sucks. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Farmall 1466 said:

Is diesel more heavily taxed in the States then gasoline?

Yes. As of July 2023 the Federal tax is 24.4 cents per gallon. Gasoline is 18.4 cents per gallon. Then each state tacks on their own tax. In my state of Ohio we pay an additional 47 cents per gallon of diesel or an additional 38.5 cents per gallon of gasoline. 

Our 15 tdi Passat is a diesel-gate victim that's been refitted. The wife gets 45-50mpg. I get 65-70mpg. She's a first responder who drives like she's a call every time behind the wheel. I drive like I got an egg on the pedal. If I could buy an American made car that gets that mileage dang right I would. But, those deep pockets of the oil executives won't allow it.

Dodge got busted doing the exact same thing with the Cummins didn't they? I want to say it was 2016... I seem to remember it being called "diesel -gate 2.0. Do we ban them too? Nascar says if you ain't cheating you ain't trying. I have no ill will to either company. If you want to delete your diesel too? Go ahead. As far as I'm concerned you are still releasing it to the atmosphere. It just happens all at once instead of all the time. Plus... You burn more fuel to get it done.

• Like 1

Whoever figured out how to train/program the VW's and Stelantis vehicles to detect when they were being tested is a genius.  While I do not condone cheating, I do think that someone or someones' were quite ingenious on doing that.  Now if they could do that, they perhaps could train a diesel vehicle to do so much more when it was being idled, vs pulling a load, or sense when they are running on the Gulf Coast vs climbing Wolf Creek Pass.  Imgaine a tractor that knew how to be most efficient power and economy wise pulling a loaded grain wagon versus pulling ripper in gumbo ground.   

On 11/17/2023 at 2:48 AM, Dzldenny said:

Our 15 tdi Passat is a diesel-gate victim that's been refitted. The wife gets 45-50mpg. I get 65-70mpg.

This is why I love diesel powered cars. When pushing it to the max, milage is still very good and comparable to driving a gasoline car normally. However, when anticipating while driving, milage can get crazy good. Very economical.