Farmall 450 Hydraulic pump location

ShanesTractor

49 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

What is running the PS? Did the 450's have a separate reservoir? 

Might be a separate pump and reservoir under the left front of the hood?  At least that is where my 400’s is.  PS runs off a belt driven Eaton pump.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ShanesTractor said:

...missing something.

Pump and lines as mentioned:

PumpAndLines.jpg.fd813e58fa98d219ebb125777976705f.jpg

Results may vary, but that loader looks like more than MY 450's stock hydraulics would operate for beans...

Tractor has hydraulics - engine doesn't....maybe a heart transplant from an M or something in its' past?

Mark

7 hours ago, HydroTek said:

Looks like a Char-Lyn steering unit on there -- so would have a reservoir on the steering pump (other side of the picture)

Yes, it is a Char-Lyn steering, the pump is on the left side. You can see it in this picture. Seems like that pump is dedicated to the power steering from what I read. 

IMG_0252.thumb.jpeg.f6f1b6cc776976cc3e69ab3437920345.jpeg

2 hours ago, DT361 said:

Pump and lines as mentioned:

PumpAndLines.jpg.fd813e58fa98d219ebb125777976705f.jpg

Results may vary, but that loader looks like more than MY 450's stock hydraulics would operate for beans...

Tractor has hydraulics - engine doesn't....maybe a heart transplant from an M or something in its' past?

Mark

Thanks Mark, all my research says the same. I was just hoping I was overlooking something, because the tractor has all the hydraulic components (even a full reservoir). 

4 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

What do you mean by "quick hitch?" Factory fast hitch? Aftermarket 3pt hitch?

The simplest and least expensive way would be to add a function on to the loader hydraulics.

I miss spoke I was referring to a factory fast hitch. I already have it so I’m going to have to come up with some way to get it to work. I will look into adding a function on the loader hydraulics. 

7 hours ago, HydroTek said:

Can you get a power beyond adapter for the loader valve -- can then route the PB to the tractor hydraulics

Where is the reservoir for the loader ?

Pic of the loader valve would help

The reservoir for the loader is on the left above the back tire. I’ve got the quick hitch on now, so I’m committed to figuring something out. Thanks for your help.  

IMG_0247.jpeg

• Like 2

Worse case scenario if it does have an C248 out of M you will have to get an M&W pump to put on there and modify a set of factory lines to work with it. 

Looks like one of the old Gresen valves -- you would need the power beyond port adapter
This adapter threads into the big plug on the side of the loader valve
these valves are still in use just may e a little difficult to find
I seen a garbage truck page that uses a few varieties of the Gresen

Anyways run the hose from the PB port to the inlet on the tractor
and the return back to your reservoir
you will need to make a plate to bolt to the tractor , where the lines used to

Also I would suggest running a line from the drain on the tractor reservoir to the loader reservoir
so the oil can equalize in both

A closer pic of that valve from the top would be helpful

• Thanks 1

Is the valve for the loader a two-spool or three-spool valve?  If it's a 3-spool, and you have no need for the 3rd valve function on the loader (would be for a grapple fork), you could make some hoses up from the cylinder on the Fast hitch to the 3rd function on the loader valve.  Not correct, but it'd be the simplest & quickest.

3 hours ago, Nebraska1206 said:

Is the valve for the loader a two-spool or three-spool valve?  If it's a 3-spool, and you have no need for the 3rd valve function on the loader (would be for a grapple fork), you could make some hoses up from the cylinder on the Fast hitch to the 3rd function on the loader valve.  Not correct, but it'd be the simplest & quickest.

Thanks it has a grapple so I’d be disabling that to connect the 3rd function. It might come down to this but not the first thing I’m going to try. 

16 hours ago, HydroTek said:

Looks like one of the old Gresen valves -- you would need the power beyond port adapter
This adapter threads into the big plug on the side of the loader valve
these valves are still in use just may e a little difficult to find
I seen a garbage truck page that uses a few varieties of the Gresen

Anyways run the hose from the PB port to the inlet on the tractor
and the return back to your reservoir
you will need to make a plate to bolt to the tractor , where the lines used to

Also I would suggest running a line from the drain on the tractor reservoir to the loader reservoir
so the oil can equalize in both

A closer pic of that valve from the top would be helpful

I’ll grab a picture when I get home. I think I can make this work. I do appreciate your replies. 

If its got a grapple & 3rd section, just put a selector on the 3rd function.   Flip the lever that way, run the grapple, flip it the other, run the 3 pt.   

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Valves/Selector-Valves/1-2-NPT-20-GPM-Double-Selector-Valve-Prince-Mfg-DS-1A1E-9-4128.axd

I certainly wouldn't be good enough to run a grapple on the front & 3pt on the back simultaneously!

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone for your help. This is the final solution. I added a single valve with a power beyond adapter that I plumbed into the existing valve bank. I’m disappointed I couldn’t use the original hydraulics but it was missing to many parts to make it work. 

IMG_1012.jpeg

Probably not a M engine. Has a dipstick and oil pan with no petcock openings. Probably original engine with a ignition drive housing from a later M or a SM that fits where the hydraulic pump went.

• Thanks 1