Trying to save a couple minutes cost me

Pete1468

I tried shaving a couple minutes traveling across a field with the dozer.  Never again, 6 hours later and many cuss words I'm starting tomorrow where I work would have been at 10:30 this morning.  The back end was 6 ft in.  It didn't appear to have any water in it before I crossed, it sure did when I was done.

KIMG1310.JPG

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Pete...my Dad used to say...""The longest way home is sometimes the quickest ''

...I ...as per instructions, followed the Land Rover   way into this 1600   acre block, to drop off the deer posts ....The bloke said there is a ''wet area  '' somewhere   here....It took six hours for the old D47U to track over from another Station   to hook the Mack out....

..it was going to be quicker than running around the periphery  of the paddock...

(the picture was taken early on during a ''comfort stop''...I was too bloody pissed off to bother with   ''stuck  '' pictures  )

Mike

post-157-1202976272.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mike newman said:

Pete...my Dad used to say...""The longest way home is sometimes the quickest ''

...I ...as per instructions, followed the Land Rover   way into this 1600   acre block, to drop off the deer posts ....The bloke said there is a ''wet area  '' somewhere   here....It took six hours for the old D47U to track over from another Station   to hook the Mack out....

..it was going to be quicker than running around the periphery  of the paddock...

(the picture was taken early on during a ''comfort stop''...I was too bloody pissed off to bother with   ''stuck  '' pictures  )

Mike

post-157-1202976272.jpg

That trailer must scuff something awful.

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

That trailer must scuff something awful.

Well Seth...it is like this....I ''designed '' that  semi trailer...to suit NZ's load requirement specs...Every body said as you have ...it will just tear that air lift axle tyres   to pieces etc etc.......but...with the axle in that position...i could carry the max for three trailing axles off two drivers...OK ? 

...but now we got smart...Absolutely illegal   to have air controls for air lift axle in the cab......so the control was placed ..as by law...on the left side of the chassis ...close to the axle..... Then the illegal air control was fitted in an easy accessed  spot by the left hand   (RHD, remember....)   I had hoist controls for trailer there  R/T   controls / PTO switch gear etc and an innocuous looking ''night   park light switch...""..plus a single switch marked '"Marker Lights"...which controlled the air pressure in the lift axle...plus an air pressure gauge for the airbags...again placed discreetly   among the others  etc...

When the semi was new   , we put half worn tyres on that lift axle....and here is the kicker.....we ran the ''exhaust '' from the air bags up to the tractor unit.....breakaway coupling there ...then the exhausted air was plumbed into the lower elbow of the Mack Engine   vertical exhaust ....so whilst getting weighed up , engine running, and those ''Troffic Craps'' never had a bloody clue about that set up .....just adjust the pressure  as the various axles went over the scales...never ever had an over load fine with that set up...

Cops would say...''Man, those tyres are wearing...""  I would nod sadly.....and of course . when running through a small town..or known weigh bridge  ...just drop the axle down and warm up the tyres ....no worries.....:)

Mike

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

I think we’ve all been there with farm equipment at some point in time. We’ve all looked at that one pot hole and said it can’t be that wet can it? Usually a hour or two later you’re going again and wishing you’d just gone around the bloody thing but give it a day or two and you’re back in the same scenario all over again lol.  Never sunk any of our heavy equipment to badly.  Worst stuck I ever had was probably the 850 Massey combine. I stoped at a corner to back up and the front end just sunk. It was like the tires blew out on it and it just dropped.  Been stuck with the semi a time or two in the bush as well. Never fun. 

• Like 1

I've got my digger stuck today digging clogged drains. 2nd time in 2 weekends. It's sitting abandoned till tomorrow morning when I can get the bulldozer to it and pull it out. Nothing damaged other than my pride (again). I need lessons off Master Mike!!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I was told to just try and clean the pond out some when we had the terex C6 dozer. I didn't get anywhere near there as I knew I had nothing big enough to hook up between it and everything else I own to try and tow it out 

• Like 1

Worst i ever got it was burying my 97GMC “to the door handles” as my father said. He had a 74’ JD 410 at the time( i was about 16-17) I had the steps of the Deere buried, and the front counterweight dragging a trail in the mud, pulling myself in deeper with the hoe before I got close enough to hook a chain. I would set the stabilizers down, more as an anchor than anything, drag the truck ahead a couple feet, pick up, push the tractor ahead with the hoe, set the stabilizers and repeat, I don’t know how long he was watching, but he seemed more impressed than annoyed. Took about 15 sets to get the tractor high and dry enough to tow the truck out under power. 

The wet fall a couple years ago, combines were getting stuck on top of the hills.

They pulled a couple combines in half.

That really ruins your day.

They soon realized you had to hook in the right spot.

Little stuff, but stuck none the less. 5288 lived there for 5 weeks because the river came up after the incident, could not get anything to it.

0515111843.jpg

0515111842.jpg

0515111825.jpg

• Like 1

I don’t work on Sunday ! 
Just thought I would share the my policy 

• Like 1

I found a soft spot in the frozen woods two days ago. Had to walk out and get the dozer to winch out tractor. Didn't want to get it all mud but I kept it fairly clean. I generally pull things out with a winch as steady pull rarely damages anything although I have found the tensile limit of a few chains, snatch block hooks, etc. I scrapped all the low grade stuff and constantly monitor chains for damaged links as pieces fly like bullets without much effort at all from the winches. Will try to take some pictures of destroyed hook that I keep around as a reminder of what not to use.

On 11/12/2023 at 2:41 PM, 560Dennis said:

I don’t work on Sunday ! 
Just thought I would share the my policy 

That's what the big man recommended.  Few of us are very good at following it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve C. said:

That's what the big man recommended.  Few of us are very good at following it.

We were weekend farmers, Every time we worked sabbath, something happened. Would put us back a week or more . One crisis after another .

Dad and I talked about it , We decided to not do any farm work on Sunday . Well , this what our reward was ,we got more do than ever before ,haying done early ,Oats in before  rag weed took over ,silage corn in silo  ,corn in the crib . All done 6 days , amazing ,never forgot it , give thanks for the blessings. 
I’m not saying we didn’t have issues and farm crisis , But we got though it all with a lot less stress. My story ,we were much happier team dad and I after that decision was made , feel blessed for the rewards of that decision. 

• Like 3

On 11/15/2023 at 11:21 AM, 560Dennis said:

We were weekend farmers, Every time we worked sabbath, something happened. Would put us back a week or more . One crisis after another .

Dad and I talked about it , We decided to not do any farm work on Sunday . Well , this what our reward was ,we got more do than ever before ,haying done early ,Oats in before  rag weed took over ,silage corn in silo  ,corn in the crib . All done 6 days , amazing ,never forgot it , give thanks for the blessings. 
I’m not saying we didn’t have issues and farm crisis , But we got though it all with a lot less stress. My story ,we were much happier team dad and I after that decision was made , feel blessed for the rewards of that decision. 

Working on Sundays other feeding animals and milking cows never panned out. In the back of my mind the few times I decided I had too there was this ominous feeling.It was you were just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

It usually did,never seemed to get any further ahead, seemed to always get behind. 

• Like 2

On 11/15/2023 at 7:43 AM, int 504 said:

I found a soft spot in the frozen woods two days ago. Had to walk out and get the dozer to winch out tractor. Didn't want to get it all mud but I kept it fairly clean. I generally pull things out with a winch as steady pull rarely damages anything although I have found the tensile limit of a few chains, snatch block hooks, etc. I scrapped all the low grade stuff and constantly monitor chains for damaged links as pieces fly like bullets without much effort at all from the winches. Will try to take some pictures of destroyed hook that I keep around as a reminder of what not to use.

We used to off-road a lot and got into situations with winches. I know they make weights for the cables like a bolo you can wrap to take the snap out if they break but we always threw a coat over the cable to take that bite if the cable gave up. It was cheap insurance. 

On 11/11/2023 at 7:48 PM, vtfireman85 said:

Worst i ever got it was burying my 97GMC “to the door handles” as my father said. He had a 74’ JD 410 at the time( i was about 16-17) I had the steps of the Deere buried, and the front counterweight dragging a trail in the mud, pulling myself in deeper with the hoe before I got close enough to hook a chain. I would set the stabilizers down, more as an anchor than anything, drag the truck ahead a couple feet, pick up, push the tractor ahead with the hoe, set the stabilizers and repeat, I don’t know how long he was watching, but he seemed more impressed than annoyed. Took about 15 sets to get the tractor high and dry enough to tow the truck out under power. 

We had our own off-road rally one year on New Year’s Eve. Invited anyone we knew might come. Had 10-12 show up. Several never started the trail when they saw it.  I had a 2 week old radiator in my 63’ CJ5. The Buick 225 liked to run warm so I put a nice flex fan on it. I nosed down into a deep hole and when the fan hit water it flexed straight into my radiator. I filled it up with river water and a coffee can until the temp would spike and shut it off again. I was the only person that made it out without a strap that day. Lead guy got stuck badly. We went for a tractor. It was a 4430 and promptly got stuck also. Then we went for the backhoe. My buddy turned around, drug himself in with the hoe, chained everything together, and about 6 hours later we had everyone drug back out to a hard road. Good times….

• Like 1

One year we had custom guy hired because it was too muddy to pull a pull type chopper. He had a big ole jd 8700?? He got it stuck so bad the wheels were free spinning and bottomed out on the belly. We hooked our 1586 mfwd on it to pull it out and tore the frame hook point about 4". It peeled it back like a tin can. Also, we took the torque out of the 1586 and broke the counter shaft doing it, but it was out.