Jump to content

Today's random thought.. ....


nepoweshiekfarmalls

Recommended Posts

Wood fired pizza and microbrew is big business here. I know of a few who have made it mobile with a fixed site for day to day. Another that has a wood oven on a trailer in addition to a general store and deli type of deal. You need to find a happy medium between the locals feeling comfortable and it being in their Price range and it being touristy enough to draw them in too. 
https://machsmarket.com

https://barnrestaurant.com

these are both in a small town and have figured out the magic of appealing to both crowds. They are packed all the time and you can’t find parking at the barn 3 nights a week. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve cooked for many years in a small town restaurant. Still not easy making one work, and is a ton of work. I would tread very carefully, a restaurant is a huge commitment and starting one from scratch is a big challenge.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

If you added strippers you would have something. 

  You have to do something like that to separate yourself from the countless other start up restaurants.  Especially pizza themed establishments as there is one per every hundred people anymore at least around here.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, New Englander said:

Money is in the booze. No license, no profit, out of business in a year.

  Really no money in booze any more.  My mom's cousin sold his bar after owning it for decades for that reason.  Sky high insurance for liability a major factor.  Somebody gets hurt or worse in an alcohol related accident the lawyers immediately go looking for the deepest pockets which is not the defendant typically.  The heaviest drinkers tend to drink at home for that reason so there goes the bar's best customers.  Tougher than it was serving good food can make good money but quality has to be very consistent therefore many hours being at the business.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 766 Man said:

  You have to do something like that to separate yourself from the countless other start up restaurants.  Especially pizza themed establishments as there is one per every hundred people anymore at least around here.  

Pizza has the highest profit margin, followed by Mexican .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it will also pay to keep in mind that there's most likely going to be a substantial economic correction happening one of these days.  If and when, lots of people are gonna find out that they don't have the money to maintain the lifestyle to which they've become accustomed, and eating out may again become the luxury it once was.

Not sure when or how bad (I once read that one of the best ways to make a fool of yourself is to make an economic prediction and put a date on it), but I don't see how things can continue on their present course without some really interesting things happening.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Pizza has the highest profit margin, followed by Mexican .

  On a per unit basis.  The problem is selling enough units for each hour open for business.  I took marketing while in college.  The go to businesses are all about low cost high margin products.  No wonder pizza products have changed to have fewer ingredients therefore less cost.  Years ago tomato sauce and pepperoni were cornerstones in a pizza but today the plain cheese pizza is what is pushed.  More profit in a plate of spaghetti w/o meatballs versus a steak and potatoes based dish.  In clothing denim is a high margin product and product placement was pushed in television and movies especially during the 1970's.  I could go on and on about it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always thought a steak house would be a great idea. The customer only has one choice and that’s whether they want a salad or not. Steak comes cooked how I want, baked tator. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, acem said:

I always thought about having a road house bar/restaurant/dance hall with attached motel.

Drink all you want!  - Rent a room and sleep it off.

Meet someone special on the dance floor? - Rent a room and sleep it off!

Strippers would work into that nicely. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That would need to be in a separate room or even better next door. Actually strip clubs seem to be in  decline here. 

It's hard to get 'normal' girls into a strip club. You want lots of girls at the bar, dance floor and restaurant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Used to be a bar in the same building as Denny’s in the city here, next to that was HoJo’s. Midnight was pretty dead at Denny’s, but come 2:00 and the bar closed, watch out! I shudder to imagine how much no tell motel business went down there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We do not go out to eat much. Maybe once a month, but I do pick up take out about every other Friday night and we try to support all different forms of local restaurants in that manner. We did  it every Friday during  covid. Here where  I live, every restaurant, bar n grill, and hole in the wall diner is usually crowded. I think it would be a great business other than they do all complain about keeping help. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  Strip clubs are on the decline here (Rochester, NY) as well.  Attributed to the decline of high paying jobs for ordinary guys (both white collar and blue collar).  I think the division is sharper in women that find them objectionable versus unobjectionable.  Probably more that would work there and at the same time fewer women that would just hang out there.  Most places that serve alcohol simply have a ladies night to draw women and in the process men.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I helped buy food for some single mothers kids back in the day. They weren't proper strippers without c section scars. Lol Now I  only do it for one single mother (ex wife). I tell you what the old way was WAYYYYYY cheaper. I couldn't tell you what the gentleman's club situation is these days because it's been 20 years since I frequented them and 12 or so since I've even been to one. Couldn't imagine how hard it is to find talent for one of those these days with only fans and democrats running around. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve had 2 experiences with strippers, one we went to them, the other they came to us, both times were incredibly unpleasant, I joke about it here, but it’s not something that does anything for me. Makes me sad for them and sad for the patrons.

I can’t gamble either… so i just drink beer and buy tractors. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, F-301066460puller said:

I helped buy food for some single mothers kids back in the day. They weren't proper strippers without c section scars. Lol Now I  only do it for one single mother (ex wife). I tell you what the old way was WAYYYYYY cheaper. I couldn't tell you what the gentleman's club situation is these days because it's been 20 years since I frequented them and 12 or so since I've even been to one. Couldn't imagine how hard it is to find talent for one of those these days with only fans and democrats running around. 

  I have BIL's present and former to tell me about what is going on with those.  When I had an off farm job it was pretty typical to have a coworker that was heavily into that.  A boss I had around 1990 was into it to the point where you could call a club and chances were he was there.  The last employer I had senior management (men) were major league players for clubbing.  Buying tractors I thought was a better use of money.  No wonder that they and I went our separate ways in short order.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I’ve had 2 experiences with strippers, one we went to them, the other they came to us, both times were incredibly unpleasant, I joke about it here, but it’s not something that does anything for me. Makes me sad for them and sad for the patrons.

I can’t gamble either… so i just drink beer and buy tractors. 

  Strip clubs get pretty pissy when you don't buy a new drink every 3 minutes.  I've only been to a club as part of a bachelor party or as a send off for a former coworker.  No appeal in going by myself to hang out at one.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can't think that having strippers might increase the number of incidents but not up on the latest fashion trends if the lawn is mowed close, sprayed with roundup or wild tropical jungle 😳 warning questionable content...also known as Canuck humor

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lazy WP said:

I always thought a steak house would be a great idea. The customer only has one choice and that’s whether they want a salad or not. Steak comes cooked how I want, baked tator. 

This scene immediately came to mind when I read your post.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, acem said:

I always thought about having a road house bar/restaurant/dance hall with attached motel.

Drink all you want!  - Rent a room and sleep it off.

Meet someone special on the dance floor? - Rent a room and sleep it off!

Sounds like the Mustang Ranch?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, nc1112 said:

This scene immediately came to mind when I read your post

That was exactly what I was thinking about when I posted. Couldn’t remember where it was from though. Thanks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, DaveinSD said:

I’ve cooked for many years in a small town restaurant. Still not easy making one work, and is a ton of work. I would tread very carefully, a restaurant is a huge commitment and starting one from scratch is a big challenge.

In all seriousness I would value this input, I recall past struggles at times, and Steve's advice for the impending financial corrections, kitchen equipment is very expensive unless you can find what you need at auction from others going under, any new establishment will probably be very busy initially but it's the long term survival and work it requires along with the stress.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...