Today's random thought.. ....

nepoweshiekfarmalls

If I opened a restaurant featuring wood fired, brick oven pizza, pool tables, darts; do you think it would work?  Seems like a great combination for a night out.... maybe a couple bowling lanes?  Just a random thought during lunch today..  maybe I just need to incorporate that into my new shop building!

Thoughts????

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

If I opened a restaurant featuring wood fired, brick oven pizza, pool tables, darts; do you think it would work? 

We had one of those here in our town. Lasted 2 years because in a town of 500 people. There just isn't enough butts to put in the seats to operate a restaurant full time. The guy who owned the business converted a school bus into a mobile pizza shack and is not able to do pop-up business in our town as well as the towns around us.

A brick and mortar restaurant in a small town is certainly a tough proposition from a business model standpoint. You can have the best product in the county but if you don't have the clientele to fill the seats it won't matter.

Putting a wood fired brick pizza oven in your new shop will certainly bring some new additions to your friends list.   

• Like 3

4 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

Run away. Many a restaurant has come and gone around here.  Tough business.

Run forrest ,you need at least 10K people in the local urban area < 20 mile.  9 in 10 business fail and you would be doing it solo.

Friend had four or five ' 75-02 just made a living until you couldnt milk the older staff anymore.

A "brand" means more $$ but alot more issues, you keep $ 5-7%      $25K/wk (10 years ago) just kept the doors open. $1m per location startup. We could beat that and operate under the "rules" adding +- $3%,but the brand always wants more, however they steal it. every 3-7 yrs its refit time $300-750K (10yr for mom/pop)

With size and time to need $400K to "toss" every year,we sold back ,the "brand" nixed ,ALL the facelifts and broke every rule to operate +- 12%

Friend couldnt leave it alone ,dove in again,rebuilt a dead location,things were good until '20,decided to retire '21 .. The buy in is barely covering costs.

Its occasionally like teenage daughter and shot gun on dates.,to fly in and right the ship for a few months.

90% of workers/ are upper central/east euro, delivery drivers were on $40K wage + tips and quit to drive truck................

Just on the news today local urban /rural sit down /family ,on major US highway will close in 2 weeks after 60 years same family.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jesse in WI said:

Putting a wood fired brick pizza oven in your new shop will certainly bring some new additions to your friends list. 

I recall that Roger Welsch of Allis restorations mentions that he keeps not many of low grade beers in his workshop fridge.

And I recall back in a burst of "ranch tourism is going to fix things" the analysis that said a large proportion of people in ranching weren't equipped to handle ranch tourism for various reasons.

2 hours ago, New Englander said:

Money is in the booze. No license, no profit, out of business in a year.

That was my dad's experience when he was in the restaurant business, for about three years in the early '70s.

He owned a restaurant in a town of about 2000.  Family type restaurant with a lounge.  Served good food, and Dad was pretty gregarious, so he had a pretty good business.  The lounge was far more profitable than the restaurant.

Liquor inspectors could be a pain, and now dram shop laws can take you down hard if someone has one too many and has an incident of some kind after leaving your establishment.  Local guy here lost his business a few years ago because someone who had one too many killed somebody with his car on the way home.

Good help was hard to get in 1972, and obviously it's much worse now.  In those three years, Dad never found a reliable manager to leave in charge so that he could take a weekend off.  Every time he tried, he ended up with missing steaks, Scotch, cash, silverware, free drinks given out to the bartender's friends, etc.  It was a little bit like having a dairy farm without finding someone to milk for you.  Really hard to get away from.

And he wasn't contending with the fickle political crap that goes on now.  You're one "emergency", which can happen at any time, away from being shut down, maybe for good.

Dad did tell me once that he was clearing about $2000 / month, which was pretty decent money in those days.  But it was rough on him.

From the Robb Report:

One of the industries hardest hit by Covid-19 has been restaurants, which were shut down for long stretches in 2020 and still grapple with debts incurred from that time period. In the early days, people speculated about how many restaurants would close as a result of the pandemic, and a recent report by The Washington Post estimates that 72,700 shuttered in 2020 because of Covid-19.

https://robbreport.com/lifestyle/news/how-many-restaurants-closed-pandemic-1234694652/

• Thanks 1

The crowd that likes to go downtown on Friday or Saturday are all dead around here. The younger crowd wants to go 30-40 miles to their preferred places. Covid finished off the local restaurant here. The owner wasn’t making that much to begin with. The county health department forced her to close for several weeks and she lost the business. It made me furious at the time because they were long time family friends and I knew they couldn’t afford to be shut down. She’s a cashier at the gas station now in the next town over. The building has been for sale for several years now. If I knew someone who would run it for me I would probably buy it just so me and my employees would have somewhere to eat lunch. It’s ten miles to get a decent lunch now. I’m lucky my wife stays home and is able to cook for me. 

21 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

Run away. Many a restaurant has come and gone around here.  Tough business.

80% fail in the US in 1st year

CPA said if we sell farm and say we'll do a Burning Man theme restaurant he'll physically pin me to the floor till i change my mind

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Steve C. said:

.  It was a little bit like having a dairy farm without finding someone to milk for you.  Really hard to get away 

Brother was friends with a gal whom owned a popular small chain restaurant in the region.  He said she may as well milk 200 cows herself.  4am calls "homeless camp i  front door"

2am calls.. "fight in bar"

11am ... "we dont have buns for burgers" (90% of their food is burgers)

Just never ending babysitting