coal hauler

nomorejohndeere

Interesting, that IH had both flathead and overhead valve engines in the same type of vehicles for many years. I had a 1960 B100 with a bd240 ohv slant valve engine that was first introduced in 1938.

Many nice memories of the now, old IH trucks.

Thanks for posting!

Home made dump looks a little sketchy without much of a sub frame.  It's probably OK for a little bit of dry firewood but not for a couple of tons of coal.

Cool old truck with patina.

• Like 1

Looks to me like there is a channel iron frame built on the underside of the box. I'd be good hauling with that. It'll handle anything the suspension would carry.

If you look under the box on this Chevy you can see the channel frame. Buddy of mine had the exact same truck right down to the color. It worked great. Now my neighbor owns it. Saw this one at Symco show this August. Took the picture just to show him.

IMG_20230811_130254824.thumb.jpg.6253d0f71b97aecde317ed56699d9e94.jpg

1 hour ago, Dzldenny said:

Looks to me like there is a channel iron frame built on the underside of the box. I'd be good hauling with that. It'll handle anything the suspension would carry.

I see that but look what's it's pivoting on. Doesn't seem much. Truck has heavy looking springs with helpers. You're probably right though.

Days when the trucks focus was work and not 0-60 times, I remember my buddies dad getting stove coal in his new 75 C10 and a big piece of coal falling spilt the skin in the box of his new truck, never was a problem with the old binder, now 75 would be an old truck but I don't think things have gotten better

On 11/10/2023 at 10:35 PM, vtfireman85 said:

I like that they did the seat. Nothing is charming about a ratty seat. 

Makes me think of how Brian (Long Farms) sets up his 56 series tractors - everything works, straight sheet metal with patina, nice looking wheels, knee deep in rubber, and a good seat. 

9 hours ago, farmall666 said:

I REMEMBER AS A KID OUR COAL GOT DELIEVERIED IN A LATE 50'S EARLY 60'S GMC.

This is how our coal got delivered in the '50s. The trucks were chain drive with the lift dump like this one. Trucks dated from the late '30s to '40s. I remember the beds being almost mirror polished from the oily coal sliding off them.

Not a picture of our house but very similar.

Edit: Oil for the kitchen stove came through a basement window on the other side of the house.

Coal delivery.jpg

Edited by New Englander
More info
  • Like 1

In the late 50's I remember seeing the first hoist on a truck.

It was a one ton something and was owned by the guy that delivered coal.

I'll bet the pressure on that system was not much over 1,000 pounds.

• Like 1