Fenders Never Level

ComancheStarFarms

Has nothing to do with the fenders just shows why sometimes it is hard to go to the dealer. Checked on 367677R91 breather cap today. Fits many model IH tractors and in this case it is the oil fill transmission breather for a 3588. Only a cool $179.89. I passed for the time being. 

53 minutes ago, Tad Wicks said:

Well, we used to have pre 1985 an IH dealer, a Cat, John Deere dealer, and an AC, New Holland dealer until our leaders decided to pay all the growers to park all their dirt in the form of CRP. Now, years later, we have a new John Deere dealer, a Ford New Holland dealer, and Kubota dealer that cater to the vineyards and all the Los Angeles and Bay Area transplants.  I don't even know anymore where the closest IH dealer is, at least half a State away.

New Holland dealers get their parts from the same new warehouse as the IH dealers. Just make sure that you have your part numbers ready. I buy all of my Ford parts from my IH dealer. 

On 11/10/2023 at 5:53 PM, Tad Wicks said:

Well, we used to have pre 1985 an IH dealer, a Cat, John Deere dealer, and an AC, New Holland dealer until our leaders decided to pay all the growers to park all their dirt in the form of CRP. Now, years later, we have a new John Deere dealer, a Ford New Holland dealer, and Kubota dealer that cater to the vineyards and all the Los Angeles and Bay Area transplants.  I don't even know anymore where the closest IH dealer is, at least half a State away.

My cih dealer is even A &I dealer.  Along with a older jockey fella.  Online we get outside of machine stuff from AnI and sometime come in same.box as last time i got from dealership 

7 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

My cih dealer is even A &I dealer.  Along with a older jockey fella.  Online we get outside of machine stuff from AnI and sometime come in same.box as last time i got from dealership 

At one time the local dealer here would get what parts they could for you from A&I to save you money. The clutch kit for my Super H came from A&I, but Dad got it for me at the dealer.

On 11/9/2023 at 10:15 AM, ComancheStarFarms said:

It seems that a lot of 06 & 66 model tractors have mounted fenders that aren’t level or balanced - unlike JD, AC & Case tractors of the same vintage that always look as if they’re properly fitted.  Did our IH tractors come from the factory with straight & in-line-with-the-rest-of-the tractor fenders or were they simply slapped on in a lackadaisical or mis-aligned manner (maybe because of more important reasons like building a tractor that was high quality & no need to worry about looks)?  This is not a big deal however finding the reason for so many tractors with wandering fenders might help me do a better job of aligning them (are there tricks for mounting them them straight & level?).

They're pre-stressed. So when you stand on them to trim a branch, they set level. 😁

Humor aside, I don't recall why. I do recall seeing various braces & struts through the years to get them straight. Some were removed because they were leaning or would vibrate & drive the owner up a wall.

Mike

• Haha 1

Have to be really careful with aftermarket part suppliers.  Been burned twice now.  First was the torsional damper plates that bolt on the flywheel of the MX Maxxums.  Got them from Ag Parts and they proved to be junk, steel wasn’t hardened where it should have been so they wear like crazy.  Second was the reversible 540/1000 PTO stub for the same tractors, Got one through All States Ag Parts and it proved to be an A&I part, also not hardened properly.  A&I I think means Acquired from India.  

Since I got those dud damper plates from Ag Parts they have started offering a LuK branded assembly and that may be OK as LuK was the OEM provider.

On 11/10/2023 at 8:09 PM, IHC_1470 said:

............... Checked on 367677R91 breather cap today. Fits many model IH tractors and in this case it is the oil fill transmission breather for a 3588. Only a cool $179.89. I passed for the time being. 

I'll agree...that one is pricey. Have had a few customers over the years need one and I inform them of how pricey they are.
Odd sized, too, so you can't just run down to the auto parts store and pick one up.
My best advice is to not lose or damage it, lol.

Travis

On 11/10/2023 at 7:53 PM, Tad Wicks said:

............  I don't even know anymore where the closest IH dealer is, at least half a State away.

The awesome part is that there are plenty of dealerships that ship. Messicks is a popular one.

Travis

• Like 2

I have straightened 2 set, use heat and chain hoist with hooks or loops welded to the supports.  Heat-pull-heat-pull. 

Besides the obvious damaged ones, I always thought the metal relaxed over the years.

image.png.33442966e425c0c6ac335ac30d74ea21.png

On 11/13/2023 at 5:28 AM, Absent Minded Farmer said:

They're pre-stressed. So when you stand on them to trim a branch, they set level. 😁

Humor aside, I don't recall why. I do recall seeing various braces & struts through the years to get them straight. Some were removed because they were leaning or would vibrate & drive the owner up a wall.

Mike

I think this is the best answer, you get all your weight challenged buddies, get all you can on the fender and then jump up and down, no need to remove the bolts.😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tad Wicks said:

I think this is the best answer, you get all your weight challenged buddies, get all you can on the fender and then jump up and down, no need to remove the bolts.😀

Yeah, a few good eaters would be needed. I'm 6' 2" at 235 lbs & the fender returns to the home position when I get back off of it, without issue.

Mike

As far as the fenders not being straight on the tractor, if they have not been bent for some reason, there is no reason for them to be crooked. Tightening the U bolt properly will adjust the look to exactly what you want every time. No crooked fenders here. None of the after market fenders are great, but they also can be mounted straight and look good.

• Like 1