Fenders Never Level

ComancheStarFarms

It seems that a lot of 06 & 66 model tractors have mounted fenders that aren’t level or balanced - unlike JD, AC & Case tractors of the same vintage that always look as if they’re properly fitted.  Did our IH tractors come from the factory with straight & in-line-with-the-rest-of-the tractor fenders or were they simply slapped on in a lackadaisical or mis-aligned manner (maybe because of more important reasons like building a tractor that was high quality & no need to worry about looks)?  This is not a big deal however finding the reason for so many tractors with wandering fenders might help me do a better job of aligning them (are there tricks for mounting them them straight & level?).

I see a lot of fenders that are clearly bent and/or damaged. Is that what you're talking about? If not, care to share a picture of what you mean?

I have to believe that they came from the factory more or less straight. Maybe not perfect but not so far off as to be noticeable. It doesn't seem that difficult to achieve when the fenders aren't bent. The fender bracket keys on to the hexagonal axle housing, with the U-bolt fitting in one of the slots in the housing to hold it straight front-to-back. The fender itself bolts to the bracket, and is drilled to sit straight with maybe a little bit of wiggle room. Very hard to go wrong if the fenders aren't bent.

As I said though, many have been damaged and bent over the years.

If they are not too bad you can make tapered shims and put under one side to make them sit straight or I have seen them bad enough that we cut the ribs at the top where they make the 90 with the zip cut pull the tops down level and reweld. You see lots of "restored" tractors that the fenders look like bird wings.

I bought some new flat top fenders for my farmall 806. A&i products. They were a terrible fit. Ribs were not parallel and the holes in the brackets were a long way out. That were cheap for what they were. Managed to sort them out and get them set straight. 
my next worry is the T/A was from A&I. Hope the quality of that is better. Seems ok so far and shifts sharp. Hope it stays that way!

39 minutes ago, hippy5488 said:

almost installable

I must remember that one! They are the absolute last resort for parts. 

6 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

For whatever you think of A&I, there are quite a few parts that could not be had if it wasn’t for them. There are a lot of what I guess are now considered “vintage” combine parts that I know of no other place to get besides them. 

Shoup or Sloan Express have a lot of combine parts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I bet it won’t be long and Deere will be supplying more IH parts through A&I than will be available from CNH. 

And a big part of that is the people that "just can't find that part anywhere" and haven't even considered the local CaseIH parts counter.
Or, the people that just know that the dealer is evil, or they are just plain too damn cheap to buy from the dealer.
Yes, the dealer can be expensive on some stuff, but they have it, and it's *usually* good quality.

Travis

• Like 6

I use A&I for certain items, think 3 point hitch components, some drawbars, tie rod ends and so forth. ***ONLY*** external parts, would never use anything internal like clutches or hydraulic pumps. 

Most times if you pay a bit of attention, the OEM part ordered on a stock order is no more expensive (no freight charge) than the aftermarket part and paying the freight. Even then what we have paid for inbound freight this year to date is staggering.  

At the end of any job, the price difference is the differential between OEM and Aftermarket part. Labor and parts required are the same. 

The biggest thing that upsets me is Aftermarket parts in an OEM package. 

Well, we used to have pre 1985 an IH dealer, a Cat, John Deere dealer, and an AC, New Holland dealer until our leaders decided to pay all the growers to park all their dirt in the form of CRP. Now, years later, we have a new John Deere dealer, a Ford New Holland dealer, and Kubota dealer that cater to the vineyards and all the Los Angeles and Bay Area transplants.  I don't even know anymore where the closest IH dealer is, at least half a State away.