Pinzgauer Cattle

U-C

I ran a pinzgauer bull for about 5 years. I still have about 3 cows  that were sired by him. The cattle buyers never paid well enough for the calves or fats. I switched to Simmental and have better luck with calf sales. The pinzgauer bull was quiet and the calves did well but the buyers like to fid any excuse to pay less if they can and the prominent markings gave them the perfect opportunity to get cheap! 

18 minutes ago, rjpont said:

I ran a pinzgauer bull for about 5 years. I still have about 3 cows  that were sired by him. The cattle buyers never paid well enough for the calves or fats. I switched to Simmental and have better luck with calf sales. The pinzgauer bull was quiet and the calves did well but the buyers like to fid any excuse to pay less if they can and the prominent markings gave them the perfect opportunity to get cheap! 

I would challenge you to sell fats grade and yield. Of course if you don’t feed them out that doesn’t work. I like the novelty of them. Dad had them back in the late 70s, which is part of my draw. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lars (midessa) said:

Looks like a cross with a dairy breed, sometime in the past?

The Pinzgauer is a Dairy breed or more a dual purpose one

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Nice looking cattle! They seem to be gentle giants.

Most of them are, but I have 1 cow who gets a bit excited. Dad’s were crossed with Charolais and they would maul you when they had new babies. 

Grandpa always had Angus cattle when I was growing up.  One of his friends talked him into a Charlaios bull.  That mean SOB made it his life's work to destroy fences!  He would charge at the tractor or pickup.   He went down the road after a couple seasons.   His replacement,  a red angus: you could practically lie on his back... he loved the top of his head scratched!

3 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Grandpa always had Angus cattle when I was growing up.  One of his friends talked him into a Charlaios bull.  That mean SOB made it his life's work to destroy fences!  He would charge at the tractor or pickup.   He went down the road after a couple seasons.   His replacement,  a red angus: you could practically lie on his back... he loved the top of his head scratched!

Our last 2 angus bulls have came from the University consignment trials.  They get a lot of handling.  One of the main reasons for going this route is so they are calm. 

13 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

we had a Holstein Bull like that when he was a bit younger ya could stand right beside him and pet him and scratch his back well one could still do that later too but a gate between me and him, after I had a close call with a bull the year before I didn't wanted to risk it. But I do have to say that feller did help me out once at least I think he did because the bull that did try to maul me a Jersey bull, a few days after he did that, he jumped over to the area that friendly bull was and that even they must of fought each other. Any ways when on the next day I was standing on the gate all of a sudden that mean Jersey wanted to come, but the friendly Holstein only looked at him and he backed off because he was standing near me. A Holstein cow came over this summer when she saw that a mean Jersey cow wanted to attack me, she walked right between me and that other cow and gave that other cow a look and she did not come near.