New undercoating product I am trying.

vtfireman85

I like the NHOU products, one is a mineral based gel, but I have found that even that has a tough time holding up over the course of a year. I bought a case of the NHOU Bosswax, which is similar to Waxoyl, it has built, dries to the touch but remains malleable, you can scrape it with your fingernail. I did the frame, nooks and crannies, and underside of the cab, the bed is coming off so I wasn’t as hung up on coating it completely. Today the truck got oil undercoated on top of the Bosswax which I hope will keep it hydrated and self healing. Time will tell but it seems like a very good product, the case of 12 was about $150 delivered and I have one left over for touchup. 
Also I removed the spare tire, winch, and heat shields to get up in there, they just hold chit all winter, I put the spare in the bed or on a trailer when I travel. 

IMG_2696.jpeg

IMG_2697.jpeg

IMG_2698.jpeg

IMG_2700.jpeg

IMG_2704.jpeg

• Like 4

I can’t imagine what you have to do to keep rust at bay!! 
I have only under coated 2 vehicles in my life. Both times were when a rod came out the side of the block. 

• Haha 6

Sometime when you are looking at stuff on line, check out https://rhomar.com/.  We use the Neutro wash and the lubraseal at work on the salt spreaders. I haven't had to replace a chain due to corrosion since I started using the Lubraseal about 20 years ago. The disadvantage is they only sell in bulk, and that is too expensive for most individuals. It's really messy to put on, and wherever it ends up, it stays. Amazing stuff.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Dzldenny said:

Time for a "group buy". Find some buddies and split the order. 

My dad bought a barrel of undercoating grease, back in the 80’s sometime. We are still using it. Whenever something gets bolted to a frame, like trailer deck boards or a trailer hitch on a truck, whatever, it gets bedded in that grease. The application equipment was cost prohibitive at the time, so it just got put on with a putty knife.

6 minutes ago, acem said:

Good luck Seth. Really, I'm not being sarcastic.

However it seems to me y'all up north hate your cars the way you apply salt on the roads.

There has to be a better way!?!?

Other states don’t, ever seen a rust bucket from Nevada? Colorado? Montana? People don’t want to buy snow tires, they don’t want to slow down and they don’t want to pay attention, so the roads are mercilessly salted for them. Saturday was 45 at night and rose to 58 during the day, they had been out spreading brine Friday night, just in case. If everyone just bought good tires and drove accordingly we could plow and sand and have vehicles that lasted many many times longer, imagine how much better for the environment that would be? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its interesting, the state airport trucks go for eons, literally 20+ years totally spotless. They plow snow and I don’t know what they use, but the airport is always clear, no ice, so they must use something.  Rock salt is nowhere near as horrible as this calcium brine.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Other states don’t, ever seen a rust bucket from Nevada? Colorado? Montana? People don’t want to buy snow tires, they don’t want to slow down and they don’t want to pay attention, so the roads are mercilessly salted for them. Saturday was 45 at night and rose to 58 during the day, they had been out spreading brine Friday night, just in case. If everyone just bought good tires and drove accordingly we could plow and sand and have vehicles that lasted many many times longer, imagine how much better for the environment that would be? 

By snow tires and drive responsibly?  I can assure you that’s not happening.  I had my truck sprayed with Krown about a month ago.  That stuff looks like it would work good on the areas that get a lot of road spray.  With all the salt here you would think the oil undercoating placed would be everywhere but it kind of hard to find one.  I travel an hour to get to one.  

Good on you taking some stuff off to do it!!  Hope you can make that truck last a long time!

My wife's '22 RAV4 has plastic covering almost everywhere underneath, I took it all off last year to spray it, took me about 8 hours!!!  This year I didn't take it apart, but sprayed what I could.  I did my truck and Cadillac today, the truck has been done extensively before and wasn't a big job today. The Cadillac appeared to be a virgin, it hasn't seen much winter maybe none, it was a big enough job getting over it.

I use the typical parts store rustproof from a 5 gallon pail, the amber coloured, thick, waxy/jelly stuff, pour it into a 5 liter jug that I warm up in the shop sink filled with hot water, spray it with a syphon undercoat gun.  It is such a nasty job.  I don't think the product I use is the best ever but it's decent and affordable.  Sometimes I'll use a product from an aerosol can to do underhood or the doors, less overspray and more controlled application.  I've been using canned Kleen Flo Honey Goo lately, they say it takes the sting out of rust and has more uses than the hive has bees!!!

Salted roads and winter weather are hard on vehicles, but we have local maple syrup, can't have that down south lol

The current standard for winter road/paking lot maintenance is ridiculous for sure.  There is an expectation that winter shouldn't impede travel at all

11 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Its interesting, the state airport trucks go for eons, literally 20+ years totally spotless. They plow snow and I don’t know what they use, but the airport is always clear, no ice, so they must use something.  Rock salt is nowhere near as horrible as this calcium brine.

https://greenicemelt.com/products/sodium-acetate-naac-deicer-40-bags-50lb  This is what airports use.  We also use it for parking garage tops and exposed concrete stairs.  The liquid we use is this stuff https://chloridefree.com/ for places salt could ruin something. Both products are horribly expensive, and from what I have seen, the "chloride free" isn't exactly corrosion free, especially on aluminum.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

How quickly we forget the 1960's and 1970's when they sanded the roads and the cars were completely rusted out and junk in 3 years. These days we complain about rust STARTING to form on 8 year old vehicles even here in the rust belt. This despite the fact that they spread nothing but clear salt on the roads, and way more of it...

One other difference from the "good old days of snow tires and driving slower" is that there's exponentially more traffic on the roads, but really no more roads to handle it. If we drove slower the highway system would be in a state of eternal gridlock for 4 months a year.

11 hours ago, acem said:

Google tells me they use propylene glycol for ice and snow at airports. I don't always trust Google though.

@New Englanderwould know.

That's correct. Aircraft deicing fluid is a propylene glycol mixture. There are two main types: Type 1 is mixed with water and heated to around 150f and sprayed to deice. It's orange/pink in color. If icing is active the plane is then sprayed with Type 4. It's green in color and thick and has a good hold-over time while it protects from further icing from falling snow, etc. It blows off the plane around 100 knots. It's exciting when they've sprayed it on the nose to have a sudden green wall appear just before V1 speed! Now I make sure no Type 4 on the nose!

As for the runways and ramps, the main effort is mechanical - plow and broom with sand for traction. In the past urea was commonly used and the grass along side was always green! It's corrosive though, as evidenced by the mower I bought from a sod farm. Ethylene glycol was used but it's toxic. Sodium Acetate, Potassium Acetate and formates of them have been used as they're not too corrosive but it was found they do bad things (crystallize?) carbon disc brakes, so it seems the only good chemical treatment is propylene glycol based.

Edited by New Englander
Typo on Type 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

How quickly we forget the 1960's and 1970's when they sanded the roads and the cars were completely rusted out and junk in 3 years. These days we complain about rust STARTING to form on 8 year old vehicles even here in the rust belt. This despite the fact that they spread nothing but clear salt on the roads, and way more of it...

One other difference from the "good old days of snow tires and driving slower" is that there's exponentially more traffic on the roads, but really no more roads to handle it. If we drove slower the highway system would be in a state of eternal gridlock for 4 months a year.

You’re right, I should be driving faster when the roads are crappy, I will adopt this practice in future and encourage other drivers to do the same, the congestion it eliminates will surely make things safer. 🙄

Here's a carbon disc brake/wheel assembly. Since slush gets kicked up between the wheels and many planes retract the wheels inboard they're on their side in the wheel well where the slush melts into the brake disc and does bad things to them. These brakes are terribly expensive (as are all things airplane, I just bought a new battery for mine for a heart stopping $890.!) but are much lighter and more effective than steel brakes. Interestingly they become more effective as they heat up.

Carbon disc brake assembly.jpg

I get my pickup and wifes SUV Krowned every year. I think it helps or so it seems.

Had my 2 trucks done for the first time at the repair garage last month.  Some concoction of a petrolium product they spray on.  They have been having someone come in 2 days in the fall to do this and set up on the stones. 

11 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

You know that's not what I said or meant.

i alwasy driver faster when its slick so i can go round in circles more times when i lose control  is way more fun that way ( free carnival rides ) and get a run at the ditches so i dont get stuck - I was always taught to get a run at it!!!! I have to say from my experience that is sound advice, 90% of the time you make it, there is that 10% of the time when you dont and well, you are REALLY stuck. 

is not fun driving slow - in comparison look at all the fun we have on youtube watching other people going too fast in the stuff

• Haha 1

On 11/8/2023 at 5:00 PM, vtfireman85 said:

My dad bought a barrel of undercoating grease, back in the 80’s sometime. We are still using it. Whenever something gets bolted to a frame, like trailer deck boards or a trailer hitch on a truck, whatever, it gets bedded in that grease. The application equipment was cost prohibitive at the time, so it just got put on with a putty knife.

I knew i forgot to do something when i just put the new deck on my trailer - wheres the grease 🤦‍♂️

9 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

I knew i forgot to do something when i just put the new deck on my trailer - wheres the grease 🤦‍♂️

Put zerks on it! They thread into oak really easily! 

• Haha 1