Some good ole school pulling pictures from years ago

Hydro70

There was a time in tractor pulling when you or your neighbor could drive your big farm tractor down to the local fair and pull it and stand a fair chance youd take home the trophy and prize money but them days are over cause its a money favored thing and if you cant afford to put all the high dollar items thatll make your chances of winning then youd might as well keep yourself and tractor at home before you get embarrassed.  But I started following pulling religiously back in the mid70s when I was a young fellow and everybody ran tricycle frontends and no fenders an smoked like a freight train but it was fun and entertaining

Picture 1.  This is what power is back in the old days, no fenders, two turbo setup, tricycle frontend with 11L-15 three rib tires and the side shields....................to cool

Picture 2.  Dave Stangle on his G-1000 and he could smoke your butt on any given day at the pull, this ole MM was bad tractor

Picture 3.  Two pictures of Marshall Myre on his 966 and this was one dedicated puller, he could beat you with that Farmall also

Picture 4.  Andy Main on his Case 1370 and this was another tough tractor, back in the old days you seen all makes and models not just IH and John Deere like today

Picture 5.  Randy Janke from Nebraska and his 966 and it was tricycle for most its life but he still owns it to this day and he entertains folks on a special run at pulls in his area

Picture 6.  Never underestimate this D21 it could pull as good as it looked and he was shipped to Europe in the late 70s to show Europe how us Yankees pulled

Picture 7.  Don Cook and his 966 hypermax equiped called Pride of the farm and it also could pull as good as it looked

Picture 8.  Here is old school pulliing to a T.

Picture 9.  Massey Ferguson 1150 of Don Berry and later he bought the first 2805 off the production line called Old Number 1 and watch out he could embarrass you with them V8s

Picture 10.  If your talking of pullers from the old days then here is the baddest one on the track and that Danny Dean and the Rooster IH 1066

4f947653cbcff1db54c69c09e9365ba8.jpg

26814557_10208220288063488_3388982989359083157_n.jpg

29340002_1894607700551757_9159814561052753920_n.jpg

29366325_1894606590551868_8649495794006622208_n.jpg

90388122_608380493049774_8523849270246244352_n.jpg

362309189_658836806275424_8351680252369948430_n (1).jpg

256480804_630721828301244_3645809336243406890_n.jpg

Don Cook on his 966 Pride fo the Farm.jpg

u4 65u4e5u7.png

Don Berry and his Massey Ferguson 1150 from back long ago.jpg

27164654_10214244742808907_4718637354774178524_o.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

Always enjoy you taking us back Hydro!

Those pictures are priceless

The very first tractor pull I saw as a little kid was Dodge County fair, mid to late 60's and if memory serves me, it was just farmers bringing their field tractors to town. 

Pulling a sheet metal "sled" with some cement blocks and every 20 foot or so, two guys would jump on (each holding two more cement blocks) for added weight😄

Been hooked (pardon the pun) ever since🤠

Yes! This is pulling at its best. Takes me back to when my dad was a young man and I had to stand on his lap to see from the wooden bleachers. I'd love to see a Nostalgia class like this. Nothing manufactured after 1980. No cut tires or aluminum wheels, no computer controlled nuthin... Side shields, roll cage, scatter shields, you know... Safety stuff yes.

There are car shows in the area that don't allow your car in if it has post 1964 available parts on it. No billet parts sort of thing. Id love to see a pull like that.

Thanks for the pictures!

• Like 1

Yup , old days 

tech would have a good laugh about the seat on the The jicase! 

Denny I dont see why it aint already happened cause the Super Stock class is about twelve to fifteen pullers and its like listening to a broken record when you attend a pull, its Edson Lehn a few others cause them tractors when you got one tweaked out to the point you could win youve dropped close to half a million in it and thats just retarded and messed up and the ones who really want to pull aint got that kind of dollars to play with, they came out with Pro Stock back in the late eighties to remedy the money thing but now theyre bout as expensive to maintain as a SS.  Gotta friend who pulled hot farm here in south central Kentucky and he said on any given summer pulling he was going through anywhere to five thousand to dang near fifteen thousand a year to keep it going, considering blowing a engine, a turbo or some other mishap ya gotta expect.  Id love to see a class of ole school super stock that your limited to two turbo setup, tricycle frontend no fenders and regular steel pressed back tire rims, old 30.5-32 farm tires that got to be grinded with a hand grinder and add on weights front and back and yearly make sure this stays clean and doesnt slowly go the money way to win, inforce strict rules so money doesnt ruin it and if so break down the class and get it back to the line it needs to be at.

1 hour ago, 560Dennis said:

Yup , old days 

tech would have a good laugh about the seat on the The jicase! 

I remember lots of super stockers back in the day who ran those flimsy plastic seats to save a few pounds.  A puller from Blockton, Iowa, as I recall, got killed when his 1066 started bouncing and broke the seat mounting off.  No fenders.  He was a big old boy and went right under a 30.5 / 32.  Glad I didn't see it.

Notice that the Pride of the Farm 966 is pulling in Hi 2.  It took a good running Deere to run 7th gear in those days.

And they were the good old days for sure.

2 hours ago, Steve C. said:

I remember lots of super stockers back in the day who ran those flimsy plastic seats to save a few pounds.  A puller from Blockton, Iowa, as I recall, got killed when his 1066 started bouncing and broke the seat mounting off.  No fenders.  He was a big old boy and went right under a 30.5 / 32.  Glad I didn't see it.

Notice that the Pride of the Farm 966 is pulling in Hi 2.  It took a good running Deere to run 7th gear in those days.

And they were the good old days for sure.

Isn’t that ,I think a very sad story !

Can't even pull in a "stock" farm class around here. Attend any pull you want. Not one SMV emblem to be found. There isn't a single tractor that has seen the field in years. I know what I have in my 10,000lb tractor. It's not stock. I could pull two weight classes down and still not be competitive. 

I used to pull 4000, 4500, or 5200 antique with my H. The boys with money complained when I got lucky and had a full pull. I was not allowed to pull off with the other's and they never let me pull again. They let me register, weigh in, and pass tech. Then as I wait a few tractors from the sled in my class, they come tell me my draw bar isn't safe or my weights aren't secure or some bull reason to not let me hook. I run the same set up as the other 30 Farmalls there but mine is not good enough. Good ole boys club and I ain't in it.

Don't even go watch anymore. Once in the last 10 years. That's why I love to relive the old days with great pictures like above.

There’s a pull around us that started up 5 years ago put on by two buddies of mine that run a two straight farm stock classes. Problem here is nobody brings anything and it’s usually the same two or three tractors pulling against each other. I always at least get third that way but wish more guys would bring stuff out!

I did go to a pull years ago that had a 7000 hot farm class. Mostly Oliver 88s, a 5star MM, a pair of hot Johnny Poppers and a 6cyl Massy Harris. Cut tires, PTO block off plates 2x factory rpm etc. Same guys that strip these down and pull 4500 stock... Time to get up and go for another wobble pop. Wait ... Here comes an IH. Badged as 766. Stripped to bones. Front axle looks like 2 inch water pipe and rear fenders looked like they were made of valley tin. 466 Turbo powered and a T/A. The kid (17?) driving took it out the end and actually set the front end down on the horse pasture fence at the neighbors. Those good ole boys sure put up a stink stomping and hollering because those kids ran a turbo! Shut the pull down for dang near half hour. 5 7000lb tractors loaded up and left when the announcer came over the pa " It's 7000 hot farm boys, not 7000 non turbo." Suddenly the shoe was on the other foot. I guess I'm guilty of enjoying watching that.

• Like 1

Not here, but in the USA I have heard of pulls that will not allow an IH owner to use the TA... because it gives an advantage! haha! If I had shown up and they told me that, I would pull anyways, use the TA, make the stupid green tractors look like losers, then leave with a middle finger to the organizers! haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

Not here, but in the USA I have heard of pulls that will not allow an IH owner to use the TA... because it gives an advantage! haha! If I had shown up and they told me that, I would pull anyways, use the TA, make the stupid green tractors look like losers, then leave with a middle finger to the organizers! haha

Yup the "stock" antique classes mainly. It's one of the reasons why ITPA classic class stops at '53.... Would be neat to pull a SMTA with a 680ci engine and a TA. 

12 hours ago, Hydro70 said:

Denny I dont see why it aint already happened cause the Super Stock class is about twelve to fifteen pullers and its like listening to a broken record when you attend a pull, its Edson Lehn a few others cause them tractors when you got one tweaked out to the point you could win youve dropped close to half a million in it and thats just retarded and messed up and the ones who really want to pull aint got that kind of dollars to play with, they came out with Pro Stock back in the late eighties to remedy the money thing but now theyre bout as expensive to maintain as a SS.  Gotta friend who pulled hot farm here in south central Kentucky and he said on any given summer pulling he was going through anywhere to five thousand to dang near fifteen thousand a year to keep it going, considering blowing a engine, a turbo or some other mishap ya gotta expect.  Id love to see a class of ole school super stock that your limited to two turbo setup, tricycle frontend no fenders and regular steel pressed back tire rims, old 30.5-32 farm tires that got to be grinded with a hand grinder and add on weights front and back and yearly make sure this stays clean and doesnt slowly go the money way to win, inforce strict rules so money doesnt ruin it and if so break down the class and get it back to the line it needs to be at.

old 30.5-32 farm tires that got to be grinded with a hand grinder

image.thumb.jpeg.db5e54f0e6e77445a051d61fcf0c0e0e.jpeg