Parts people

Lazy WP

1 hour ago, yellowrosefarm said:

I've dealt with some really great women working in parts. Deere, CAT, auto parts, small engine, and others. It isn't the gender that matters, it's the attitude and ability. Why company owners and HR departments don't get that is the real question.  I could fill pages with examples of people, men and women, in positions of leadership in companies that were totally incompetent or down right antagonistic with customers, yet kept their jobs for years.  One of lifes enduring mysteries. 

That’s true. There is a woman at the Deere dealer who is as good as anyone I’ve ever dealt with. She helps with service too. She gives her personal phone number out to everyone and tells them to call if they need anything. She doesn’t do a lot of the work herself, but she is a very good manager and makes sure it is done. It is rare that a female staff member in that industry has enough respect from her coworkers that they will do their best to do what she says. She is currently on maternity leave though. 

3 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

That’s true. There is a woman at the Deere dealer who is as good as anyone I’ve ever dealt with. She helps with service too. She gives her personal phone number out to everyone and tells them to call if they need anything. She doesn’t do a lot of the work herself, but she is a very good manager and makes sure it is done. It is rare that a female staff member in that industry has enough respect from her coworkers that they will do their best to do what she says. She is currently on maternity leave though. 

It wasn't me!!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, FoxrunFarms02 said:

I was an equipment operator for a tree company but got injured by a 3rd party and cannot continue to do it. 35.

Yeah that's a rough deal you've been dealt.... In my EXPERIENCE with parts departments and any dealerships is that it's not the job it used to be. I grew up going to the local IH dealer and dealt with the same people when I was a kid as I saw there when I was a young adult. They would have worked there their entire adult lives.  Now the next generation has taken over and there is no loyalty. It's a revolveing door. When hard times hit the FIRST place they cut is the parts department. Have seen it several times involving me and others I know. I think hard times are coming in ag within the next few years (my opinion). So my advice...... try your darn destiny to find something else. I know it won't be easy. Dealerships just suck to work for these days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F-301066460puller said:

Yeah that's a rough deal you've been dealt.... In my EXPERIENCE with parts departments and any dealerships is that it's not the job it used to be. I grew up going to the local IH dealer and dealt with the same people when I was a kid as I saw there when I was a young adult. They would have worked there their entire adult lives.  Now the next generation has taken over and there is no loyalty. It's a revolveing door. When hard times hit the FIRST place they cut is the parts department. Have seen it several times involving me and others I know. I think hard times are coming in ag within the next few years (my opinion). So my advice...... try your darn destiny to find something else. I know it won't be easy. Dealerships just suck to work for these days. 

Thanks. I never asked why in my situation and figured there's better opportunity out there. I agree with you 100%  Growing up there were 4 guys behind the counter all knew their stuff, super friendly, gave you free advice ect. Now 1 is retiring, and in 3 years the other 3 will be gone but have the additude they are already. The parts manager is my age and just was the next guy in line. There's a good looking younger blonde girl who idk what she does but got the vibe off her of " I'm hot and blonde so you need to cater to me" and a guy who looks like he's out of high school that got the job because he dad is a tech. I never had an interview so entailed, and last that long.  They're kind of hesitant of hiring me cause of my permanent limitations and restrictions fearing I could get hurt lifting a heavy part. I learned a long time ago to listen to your gut on trucks, atv's tractors and women. I'm getting a weird vibe from this place. Don't get me wrong it sounds like they take care of their employees but I just have a weird vibe it's clicks and I'd  be bored.  

I always thought I wanted to be a tech out of high-school. I got into an IH dealership as a detailer/shop assistant, then got into lawn and garden, then the dealership found out I had a cdl so I was trucking a lot. If a dealership job was all that great I'd still be there.

Over the last 2 years I've been talking with the owner of Rci/ag bag. The facility is 40 minutes away from me. The owner was super eager to hire me and we were just waiting on my end of healing to get the okay to work again. Talking with him last week he said the way ag is looking and the low amount of pre ordered baggers to be built he said he wasn't going hire me with the possibility of layoffs. Which I respect that.

My whole life I did hard physical jobs with great pay so it's odd slowing down and looking for something less demanding bit know something is out there.

1 hour ago, F-301066460puller said:

What is your limitations right now?

No lifting, pushing,  pulling more than 50 lbs, no crawling, kneeling, jumping. No walking on uneven slippery surfaces, sit down and stand as needed. I have hardware in a leg which limitations my range of motion or full use of it. So nothing to keep me out of work but enough to have to change careers.

1 minute ago, F-301066460puller said:

Yeah that sucks. You wouldn't pass the pre employment physical with Birky's if it's still the one I had to take. Same with my current employer. So depending on how big of a company it is you may be SOL. 

Unfortunately yes. There's a lot of undetermined things yet that need to take place before this is all settled. Sadly there's so many ppl out there that'd love to be in my position not wanting or work or trying to sue the 3rd party for a billion dollars. I just want to get back to work and life and make decent money again to support my family and have a sense of purpose or accomplishment.

• Like 2

always blame the parts man ,always , and send your wife to get your parts ,

“he said , you should know its a 350 Chevy they are all the same “!

5 minutes ago, FoxrunFarms02 said:

Unfortunately yes. There's a lot of undetermined things yet that need to take place before this is all settled. Sadly there's so many ppl out there that'd love to be in my position not wanting or work or trying to sue the 3rd party for a billion dollars. I just want to get back to work and life and make decent money again to support my family and have a sense of purpose or accomplishment.

You could do the job just fine but corporate b.s. holds you back. That's the real discrimination. 

• Like 1

That poem was posted on the end of a shelving unit that faced the mechanic's counter of the parts department at the GM dealer I worked at.  I don't remember it word for word but it was the same except the line about Ford farm equipment was generic, was clipped from a magazine or newspaper.  

I have always remembered the line, "the mechanic asks me what makes the damn thing tick."  Funny how true that is. 

I've worked with many good parts men/women over the years, had many that weren't very good too, but they weren't around long or got better.  Nowadays fixing cars I order most of my parts from the local store online, the phone is slow, wait on hold a long time, (the guys who are there try real hard, just not enough of them) online you can decipher stuff like different brake options, parts cost and availability quickly.  When I'm frustrated as a mechanic and I have to ask someone what makes it tick, I ask myself... hahaha  Sometimes I miss the days of calling the orders in, for 5 years or more talking to the same person 5-10 times a day 5-6 days a week, a good time can be made of it.  I still call the dealers I buy from every time and the local stores sometimes. 

Farm equipment parts can be way harder for someone to grasp with no prior experience.  All the stuff that there is no manual for; roller chain, belts, hydraulic hose, shear pins the right grade, etc. Second nature to those who know but not a popular skill to learn.

I can list 4 great parts people I have known. My father was one when I was younger. He quit when I was in my late teens and went to full time farming. I obviously didn’t have that much experience with him in that respect at that age but I have heard many people compliment him. 
The other local IH dealer had one of the owners as a parts man for many years. He could rattle off part numbers for a part that they hadn’t sold for 20 years from memory. They say his brother was even better. 
The local Napa had an older gentleman that was actually so good he was a problem. People would walk in and wait for him. One time I walked in and two guys behind the counter with nothing to do and four or five customers waiting for Bill. Actually more than once. 
Fourth was a lady at the NH dealer. I didnt go there much but she was why I started going there more, her replacement is decent but she would do anything for you. I bought a Kidd round bale chopper off Craigslist a number of years ago. It needed a few things and nobody sold them locally anymore. She actually dug out a phone number and called the manufacturer in England to get the right knives for me. 
All four now basically retired. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IHKeith said:

Farm equipment parts can be way harder for someone to grasp with no prior experience.  All the stuff that there is no manual for; roller chain, belts, hydraulic hose, shear pins the right grade, etc. Second nature to those who know but not a popular skill to learn

Lisa worked for the Kubota dealer in Valentine. She HATED the parts side. Ranchers wives would come in and say they needed a doohickey that goes under the shield behind the left track. We bought the machine from Jack. We have no idea what the vin is or even what model it is. 

• Like 2

Best IH parts guy was at our local dealer. He could rattle off part numbers for the old stuff without hesitation. One of the owners would come out to the parts counter to help out if Jay was busy with multiple customers waiting. If I was waiting, I would walk around and look at the shelves until Jay was available. We’d still have an IH dealership if the owners weren’t idiots. 
The local O’Rilley’s has a lady manager, she’s great, knows more than anyone else who works there. She’ll make hoses, do whatever it takes to satisfy the customer. Not afraid to pull out a book if she can’t find it on the computer. 
The guys at Napa, all seem to have great attitudes, even the new guy. He waited on me a few times. The first time was his first day, and he was able to get what I was looking for.

Growing up in the 80’s and 90’s we had a Big A auto parts store with a full machine shop. Did all of their machining in house. They closed in the mid 90’s and several of the parts guys went to the Napa, but now all retired.

55 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Lisa worked for the Kubota dealer in Valentine. She HATED the parts side. Ranchers wives would come in and say they needed a doohickey that goes under the shield behind the left track. We bought the machine from Jack. We have no idea what the vin is or even what model it is. 

Yup that's my fear if I get an offer, or it's your fault the machine broke, or something cobbled together from 3 machines it's your fault the parts don't match. 

On 11/7/2023 at 2:13 PM, FoxrunFarms02 said:

I recently had 2 interviews at the local jd dealer(ssssshhhhh) and that is 100% accurate.

Get him!!! You are only allowed to ever even think about IH tractors. And not Case IH either! Boo Case IH!!!! If you want a job, you just have to work at a decades-gone entity known as International Harvester.

giphy.webp

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, KWRB said:

Get him!!! You are only allowed to ever even think about IH tractors. And not Case IH either! Boo Case IH!!!! If you want a job, you just have to work at a decades-gone entity known as International Harvester.

giphy.webp

Maybe I'm going under cover to sabotage the green brand.

• Like 2

Why do parts people put you aside to answer the phone when you are standing before them, needing parts, with your checkbook in hand?

Just wondering?

• Like 2

I've gotten so annoyed with parts counter people ignoring the people standing in front of them that I've gone outside and called them on the phone and then gone in and picked up my part while all the same people are still standing there waiting. I also changed parts places.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, int 504 said:

I've gotten so annoyed with parts counter people ignoring the people standing in front of them that I've gone outside and called them on the phone and then gone in and picked up my part while all the same people are still standing there waiting. I also changed parts places.

Oooh, my local Deere dealer did this once. It was so much worse than just blowing me off, and it's a long story. I do try to be a polite person, but I got real cranky with the the main branch (or whatever you call the central office if the dealership that owns like twenty stores) and the person in charge of parts. No idea if it moved the needle because I've pretty much stopped buying parts from them.

17 hours ago, KWRB said:

giphy.webp

Maybe I'm going under cover to sabotage the green brand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1