Parts people

Lazy WP

2 minutes ago, 756puller said:

Really our.female.parts.manager doesn't have to run forklift or make hoses or chains. If you interrupt her when she's on facebook she gets pissy. If she's having a bad day she takes it out on us. Shows up twenty minutes late every day. 

Nepotism? That would not have flown the places I've worked.

52 minutes ago, 756puller said:

Really our.female.parts.manager doesn't have to run forklift or make hoses or chains. If you interrupt her when she's on facebook she gets pissy. If she's having a bad day she takes it out on us. Shows up twenty minutes late every day. 

Bet she pulls all the after hours and Sundays though to make up for the lack of productivity during the week. 😀

2 hours ago, 756puller said:

Nope it sucks last manager would bend over backwards for her

I would challenge anyone, male or female to do a better job at finding parts than my wife!! She has been in the heavy truck business for nearly 30 years, minus the few she thought cowboying and ranching was fun. 

• Like 7

Local HD dealership in the rare occurrence I ever enter their best parts person is an older woman, I will wait for her specifically as the young macho guys have no clue on older stuff

I advocated for a few years before I retired that the #1 quality any prospective employee should have is interest on day one, if it's not there then it never will be

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Local HD dealership in the rare occurrence I ever enter their best parts person is an older woman, I will wait for her specifically as the young macho guys have no clue on older stuff

I advocated for a few years before I retired that the #1 quality any prospective employee should have is interest on day one, if it's not there then it never will be

I dealt with a woman at our Cat dealer for years.  She retired last year.  I really miss her.  The Deere construction equipment dealer and both ag dealers each a have at least one woman in parts.  They all do a good job.  The manager of the trucks parts place we use is a woman and she makes sure things happen.  I try to have all my info ready and look up as many parts as i can myself ahead of time.  Just seems easier for everyone.    There is a guy at the international truck dealership that seems to shoot from the hip a lot.  Luckily I have kept really good records of what parts our trucks take so I can provide parts numbers when he gets off track.  I always figure there are a lot of people calling that have no idea what they want and are totally unrealistic about how long it takes to get it so I always try to make things as easy as I can.

• Like 2

The woman at Qugley Motors (4x4 conversion company) was named Joyce, she was sharp, sounded like she smoked USA Gold and drank Jack Black for breakfast, and man, she had a face for radio, but she knew her stuff. Lately its been some girly sounding chick, she does ok, but she ain’t Joyce. 

• Haha 2

There is a small dealer in the area that most people think has closed completely but is still in operation. Old school isles absolutely crammed with all manner of parts and goods. The guy who ran it while it was still an IH dealer has since passed on many years now. His daughter however is still behind the counter. She has been working there since she was a kid and has the advantage of a honest to goodness photographic memory. Last year I was there and asked about a banjo bolt for a hydraulic line on my 1966 IH. She rattled off the part number in an instant. Told me which isle, how far down, what shelf, bin and what parts they were under. She knew how many were in there and never clicked a button or opened a book to look it up either. She and the small business she still runs is going to be sorely missed when it does close for good.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

The woman at Qugley Motors (4x4 conversion company) was named Joyce, she was sharp, sounded like she smoked USA Gold and drank Jack Black for breakfast, and man she had a face for radio, but she knew her stuff. Lately its been some girly sounding chick, she does ok, but she ain’t Joyce. 

Never heard of a face for radio. That's a good one.

The so called service writer at the Navistar dealership I used to work at chases more customers away then she gets in but basically told them if they fire her she will sue them and win now days for discrimination.they just let her do whatever she wants.she diagnosis over the phone and promises times that have to be met and knows nothing.

16 hours ago, 756puller said:

Sounds like the parts mgr at the store nearest us. Started going to the store in the next town over and wouldn't you know it she transferred there.

I've dealt with some really great women working in parts. Deere, CAT, auto parts, small engine, and others. It isn't the gender that matters, it's the attitude and ability. Why company owners and HR departments don't get that is the real question.  I could fill pages with examples of people, men and women, in positions of leadership in companies that were totally incompetent or down right antagonistic with customers, yet kept their jobs for years.  One of lifes enduring mysteries. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, 756puller said:

The place I interviewed at had a good looking blonde in the parts area.......had a similar vibe of no wrong, and ppl cater to her causes she's a looker.

I don’t envy our parts guys at all during the busy seasons. I’ve been there when they’re on the phone and someone’s trying to describe a part that’s under a shield in behind a pulley near the back of the combine with a funny shaped hook thing attached to it lol.  I really wish all the manufactures would get their stuff together and make some good apps again so we can look stuff up on our phones easier again.  I look up everything I can ahead of time and come in with part numbers. Makes everything easier for everyone. Sometimes if I have a questionable part number or a expensive part I’ll have them double check that it’s the right number just to put it back on the dealership just incase it’s wrong. It’s hard to get good parts people these days though. Mostly younger people who haven’t had the experience and in a lot of cases haven’t grown up with it or working on it with their dad or others. 

• Like 4