Combine hauling rates

acem

I'm considering a combine purchase and am wondering what the hauling rates are now.

Running older equipment I need a good backup in case of breakdowns. Especially since all the dealers with combine parts are hours away.

I have the 1460 running pretty good but it needs some work. It's got good bones and I've had it for almost 25 years so I'm fixing her up some. 

I also have a 1480 that is getting a few more problems than I'd like to deal with. I'm thinking it might be better to get a better combine and part the 1480 out. 

There are some 'local' combines available but I'm not sure about the condition. I sometimes see good looking 14 and 16 series combines online in my price range but they will have to be shipped at least a couple hundred miles. 

The last Combine I had hauled in was the 1480 about 10 years ago. It cost $1500? Back then to have it hai about 200 miles.

What's the going rate in the Midwest/Midsouth/southern plains?

Thx-Ace 

I am at $6.00/mile with the tank. Go from there. 
If you can wait, a lot of times you can get a truck to work for not much more than fuel money. All depends on the situation. 
I think the wreckers are at $300/hour? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

I am at $6.00/mile with the tank. Go from there. 
If you can wait, a lot of times you can get a truck to work for not much more than fuel money. All depends on the situation. 

Do NOT hire the guys willing to run for fuel money!! Not if you want the job done right, anyhow! I make most of my money hauling machinery. If I’m hauling oversized on the lowboy it’s $5 per mile or more. Heavy goes up. I’ll go a little cheaper, maybe $4 if it’s coming back and you can wait until I get a good load going out. Of course short hauls are a different story (charge by the hour), and a deal could be had on really long hauls too. 

19 hours ago, JaredT said:

We had the Hydro 100 and 186 hauled from Nebraska to Michigan, a little over 1k miles for around $3200. Trucker hauling cars got it on a back haul

Car haulers going to Michigan are always going to give you a good rate. The outbound/inbound ratio is absolutely stupid! Similar to camper haulers and northern Indiana.