Poor start to the week

Lazy WP

Left home this morning about 4:30. Get a couple miles from home and hit fog. Some of it seriously thick. Get down in between Heston and Newton and boom. Stupid doe hit me on the right corner of my grill guard. Shoved it into my tire. Took out my headlight. 3 hours later Lisa had the grill guard and 2 tires in the back of the pickup. I had a new head light in. 
Hood is going to have to have some serious fiberglass work done. The high dollar grill guard is junk. Hopefully insurance will buy a new one. $1900 for a set of steer tires and I am back on the road. 

IMG_0474.jpeg

IMG_0475.jpeg

IMG_0476.jpeg

IMG_0477.jpeg

IMG_0478.jpeg

IMG_0479.jpeg

IMG_0480.jpeg

• Sad 4

2 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

You sure it was a deer? Not a moose? 

Not real sure what it was. I saw it for maybe a tenth of a second before we met 

3 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

So did the grill guard do anything? Is it worth the cost? Would it have ruined the radiator, CAC, condenser without the grill guard?

Yeah, I think it would have totally destroyed the hood, radiator and charge air cooler otherwise. 
I know when they built my grill guard, they were having issues with they’re staff. I have not welded enough aluminum to understand the strength of the welds, but every one of them on that side is broken. 

• Like 1

Thats a bad morning for sure.  Without that grill guard i feel you might be looking for a new hood.  Those welds dont look to good but it hard to tell in a picture.  We use Norton speed grip to repair hoods and it works awesome.  There is a reinforcing cloth that goes with it.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, edwardporter1 said:

Was it a Herd bumper guard. I got one hit 2 pronghorn at 75 .not a scratch

No. Bison. This one was built in Mansfield Missouri. Tried to get a Herd, but we couldn’t make the connections. Bought an Alliarc, and sent it back to Canada because their mounts were Jacked up. It will probably be a Herd this time, unless Bison steps up. I spent a couple grand on having it 2 toned powder coated and that lasted less than a year. 

Sorry about the bad luck. Hopefully the bumper mfg steps up for the bumper anyhow. Try to spend a little for protection and it doesn’t protect the way a guy expects….just plain sucks

2 hours ago, 1256pickett said:

I would say that is a poor start to the week. Better than the deer’s week though. 

I've had that feeling quite a few times with kangaroos.

Time to recycle the deer's last words -

"If I had the guts I'd do it again"

• Haha 3

Some of the welds look ok, others are suspect, in any case sucks but could have been worse, maybe an elk or just an animal hitting it in the wrong spot? Any contact outside of the mount has to rely on the design and structural integrity of the welds.

2 hours ago, Finney said:

Those cracked welds you showed are very poor, bottom of the barrel in quality. 

Agreed. The weld should be as strong as the parent material and they're clearly not. What I assume are extrusions show no distress, the welds just gave up.

Welding aluminum requires extra attention to beveling the mating parts so the weld has adequate thickness.  It’s easy to have ‘cosmetic’ welds on aluminum.

I hate ditch rats.  May some pox give them all the urge to jump in the nearest river and disappear.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, mader656 said:

How much weight does aluminum vs steel actually save?

I added about 400 pounds and I would bet nearly half of that is in the steel mount that’s still on the truck. I can lift this part, barely. 

IMG_0485.jpeg

I'm not impressed with the powder coating either. That should be completely covered inside and out. I would not have mounted it. I'd have sent it back and asked them to blast and redo it. Man. Over charge and under deliver. Yes the color makes it look nice but it is supposed to be a protective coating. Clearly corners were cut.