If you're a livestock producer, or just like to eat meat...

Steve C.

...you need to know why there is so much talk about meat consumption being unhealthy:

Since 1961, when the American Heart Association started telling Americans to limit their intake of saturated fats, found primarily in meat and dairy, our consumption of meat has dropped: by 28% (beef by 35%) between 1970 and 2014, according to the best-available government data (today, it is no doubt much lower). Meanwhile, the prevalence of diabetes, to put it gently, has sky-rocketed. Blaming the diabetes epidemic on red meat when it coincides almost perfectly with plummeting red-meat consumption is like blaming air pollution in the 1930s on the horse-drawn buggy: illogical, if not actually silly.

https://unsettledscience.substack.com/p/harvard-has-been-anti-meat-for-30?publication_id=882428&post_id=138594250&isFreemail=true&r=j27v6&utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Steve C. changed the title to If you're a livestock producer, or just like to eat meat...

My wife gets gestational diabetes.  She has found that she will have the best blood sugar numbers with a  proper blend of carbohydrates and protein.  Sure fire way to have skyrocketing numbers is to eat either too much carbohydrates or too much meat.  Whoda thunk, we need a balanced diet??  Too much carbohydrate is the worse way to go though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

The diabetes “epidemic” that I have seen around here is being led by people who don’t know when to put their fork down. 

I'm not skinny but I'm not morbidly obese 6'5" 275-280. I was diagnosed diabetic 2 years ago. For me it's genetic. I have first cousin with type 1 and a slew of other blood relation with type 2 including my dad and oldest sister and one uncle on my dad's side passed on. Diabetes has been around since the beginning of time they just didn't know what it was or how to control it. For a long period of time people didn't live long enough to even know it lol 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, F-301066460puller said:

I'm not skinny but I'm not morbidly obese 6'5" 275-280. I was diagnosed diabetic 2 years ago. For me it's genetic. I have first cousin with type 1 and a slew of other blood relation with type 2 including my dad and oldest sister and one uncle on my dad's side passed on. Diabetes has been around since the beginning of time they just didn't know what it was or how to control it. For a long period of time people didn't live long enough to even know it lol 

I’m not referring to people such as yourself. I’m referring to people who have a gravy addiction and would not be diabetic, or would at least be much better off, except for their extremely poor health habits. When I hear about the “epidemic” I attribute it mostly to the fact that America has never been fatter or lazier. I have an employee that smokes like a chimney. He has no lung capacity whatsoever and he is in his mid 50’s. He apparently likes spending a lot of time bending over coughing and hacking. I can’t get my head around it. 

I know a number of people who were diagnosed as diabetic shortly after starting staten meds. Just saying.

Then there is high fructose syrup and many other things in prepackaged food that our bodies were never meant to ingest and process...

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I know a number of people who were diagnosed as diabetic shortly after starting staten meds. Just saying.

So are you implying that the statin meds are the cause or the REASON for going on the statin meds is the cause? Doctors don't put you on statins because you're perfectly healthy. You've got high cholesterol. That's caused by poor health habits and/or bad genetics.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Then there is high fructose syrup and many other tings in prepackaged food that our bodies were never meant to ingest and process...

It appears to me that sugar is a healthier option than the huge amounts of high fructose corn syrup most of us ingest.  I also feel that the high amount of fats we eat from oilseeds has made us unhealthier.  It appears that eliminating butter and replacing it with margarine or eliminating lard and replacing it with veg. oil has had unintended consequences.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

So are you implying that the statin meds are the cause or the REASON for going on the statin meds is the cause? Doctors don't put you on statins because you're perfectly healthy. You've got high cholesterol. That's caused by poor health habits and/or bad genetics.

I'm implying almost all meds have a side effect. Some they admitt to and others they don't. 

They admitted that certain acid reflux meds will contribute to dimensia over time when discussing options with mom a last year.

I eat less meat than i used too - drink less milk - eat more fruits nuts vegs taters and beans n rice has helped drop some weight lots more salad n spinach with kraut n cabbage for gut health im still overweight - biggest thing ive noticed is less joint aches n more flexible - my family has all kinds of bad genes - obesity - diabetes - heart attacks n strokes - high bp - mental issues -  i try to go as fast as i can to stay ahead of it - maybe i can be a fat psycopath when i grow up - lotsa more vitamin I and F than i ever did 

• Haha 1

Strict carnivore/keto diet will cure type 2 diabetes and lower blood pressure. Eliminate all grains and alcohol get your body fat adapted and it will burn fat for energy not glucose. Cholesterol is simply a number a doctor came up with. Statins cause joint aches and all the meds don’t cure anything just reduce symptoms and doctors get kick backs from big pharma for everything they can prescribe.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

certain acid reflux meds will contribute to dimensia over time

Great. I've been on them for years and they're is already history of Alzheimer's on both sides of my family...

Couldn't resist. True story though.

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

Strict carnivore/keto diet will cure type 2 diabetes and lower blood pressure. Eliminate all grains and alcohol get your body fat adapted and it will burn fat for energy not glucose. Cholesterol is simply a number a doctor came up with. Statins cause joint aches and all the meds don’t cure anything just reduce symptoms and doctors get kick backs from big pharma for everything they can prescribe.

That's the absolute truth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikem said:

OH, JOY!!!!😠

Mike

2 hours ago, Dzldenny said:

Great. I've been on them for years and they're is already history of Alzheimer's on both sides of my family...

Sorry fellas. I am beginning to have issues with this myself. Maybe it was stated as could  or may and not a certainty.  But it was implied it could contribute.  And I'm not sure now which one or ones.

• Haha 1

I love most meat products also like chocolate and nuts.  I'm morbidly obese,not diabetic. to get out of that obese group I would need to weigh 170 lbs.  then everyone would think I'm sick dying from cancer so F-it.  when I had sleep disorder I put on 65 lbs I've lost that and a little more.