Loadstar repower

766 Man

47 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

By the time you mess around with hydraulic brakes, that dry out, a hydra boost that leaks, an under powered gas burner that needs overhauled, you can find a single axle truck and trailer for less money and WAY more reliable. 

This is absolutely my experience. The semi truck looks more expensive initially, but they will end up much cheaper. 

If all you need is to get done and the grain is dry, we use grain bags. Haul it later. We have our own, but you can usually find someone to rent you one around here. It’s a different area, I understand that may not be an option there unless you buy it. 

9 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Personally i wouldn't even worry about a conversion. By the time you get something useable. You are into it as much as a decent truck. 

Like was mentioned. Brakes and brake boosters would be a issue to overcome in a gas to diesel conversion. Rebuilding the dog house and mounts. To me its a bigger hassle than its worth. If it runs. Id run it the way it is. My gut says you don't have grain storage so everything goes to town in the fall. So most the rest the year its sitting. Why spend that much to retrofit a running truck that sits 10 months a year. 

If it runs. Get it right and run it. If not walk away. 

Yeah how much are you hauling total? If it's only going to run 2-3 weeks a fall it will NOT be worth it. Find another trucker. Or use ag bags... 

Gas vs diesel is an economic decision. Diesel engines cost more money to buy and diesel is more expensive than gas. Gas engines are cheaper  to buy and fuel is cheaper. Honestly it's almost a wash on smaller bob trucks with low miles per year. 

The IH gas engines were generally good but have a little age on them by now. Parts availability for the gas SV engines (304, 345, 392) is very good. Availability for the gas inline 6 is good. Other gas engines like the MV have poor parts availability but basic parts for tune-up, etc are available.

Various diesel engines were available in loadstars. A few early loadstars had the D301 or Perkins 354?. Parts are available for these engines but are said to be significantly under powered. The international V8 diesels were available in the loadstar and should fit without much modification. Parts availability is poor. V6 Detroit engines (6-53?) We're available. These would be a good engine for the loadstar. They should fit without much modification. Parts availability should be good. I've only seen them in larger loadstars. The DT466 is the Holy Grail of loadstars but pretty rare. It requires a substantial doghouse. 

Most loadstars were hydraulic brakes but some were air brakes. Some were hydraulic and air brakes. A neighbor had one. Be careful with early air brakes because parts availability can be difficult as well.

if you get hydraulic brakes and they work that's great. If you have trouble just step back and think what you would do if you're pickup was having brake trouble. Don't just throw a master cylinder and hydro boost on, do a poor bleeding job and expect it to work like new. Do a complete inspection. Remove the drums (get help when working on the rears).

Probably you have stuck wheel cylinders, worn out shoes, broken springs/hardware and hopefully not bad drums. Most parts are available but finding the part numbers can be challenging. Several of us can help. Master cylinders are available. Hydrovacs are available. Brake hoses are available. Make your own new brake lines. Most of the shoes are available (I have some front shoes I need to get relined because they are not available). Wheel cylinders and hardware is available. 

Be sure to thoroughly bleed all the air out of the system. They will not work well with air in the system.

if you go through the hydraulic brake system and get it up to spec it should work good and last a long time.

You will probably have to do the brake job yourself. There are few mechanics who know how to work on medium duty hydraulic brakes.

On conversions.

A donor vehicle is strongly recommended.

I understand that the early diesel from a ford truck will bolt up in place of the the MV gas engines. Check with @DevilDog6154 and some others on here.

THe DT360 or a 5.9 Cummins would be a much easier swap than a DT466. The engines are smaller than the DT466 but still may require dog house modifications.

if you want a diesel and air brakes a fleetstar is much more likely to have what you want. I'm eying a fleetstar with 6-71 inline Detroit, 9 speed? And air brakes. It's a single axle semi though so I'd have to do a lot of work to make a grain truck out of it. It's in really great shape though...

1 hour ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

This is absolutely my experience. The semi truck looks more expensive initially, but they will end up much cheaper. 

For the most part they are already cheaper than a 3500-7500.

Air brake is going to force you into cdl,some sellers claim no.

WHats some thoughts on spec the correct truck, for load/ use?

At least here mom pop no longer inspect nor work on ,3500>,

5500 > and air b  are far/few places ,hoops/ladders to get the expensive 2x /yr inspection,and real %&^ if you are not letting them do the $$$$ repairs that are not needed.

1 hour ago, hobbyfarm said:

I don't know much about these trucks. No way would I run one knowing that.  Brake lines rot out here.  Even if it was well monitored and didn't rot what if one rubs through?  You have zero brakes?

Yes  the you just have the driveline brake happened to me.

I retroed a tandem matser cylinder with boost off the power steering and eletric back up boost.

Trucks over 10,000 lbs didn't have to a tandem master clyliner untill 1980 my 79 1750 4x4 was OEM with single circuit master clylinder 

4 hours ago, 65806 said:

I think if you want a diesel I would keep an eye out for an S series that has a DT466 or even a 9 liter and air brakes. 
 Just my 2 cents 

Or find an S series bus and slide the whole package in, trans and all

I don't know about the Load Star but the vintage Chevrolet medium duty had the option of dual system hydraulic brakes. Unfortunately my C60 has the single system and I've had two line failures. Both were under clamps so the tubing looked great but was rusted through under a clamp. I'd replaced all the hoses thinking I was fine. I had to have the short hose from the MC made. Neither failure was any drama. Both were jamming the brakes to slam the tailboard. One time I had to call my wife to bring a pair of visegrips to pinch the line to get home, the other in the yard. I opened every clamp after that to inspect. My C70 is air but saddled with a Detroit Fuel Pincher.

One could adapt a dual MC if one was that concerned.

I'm of the opinion that if you find a good running gas job, well, buy it right, run it and maintain it.

• Like 2

The time estimated for completion always falls short by a huge margin, and ends up costing quite a bit more.

Unless you pay yourself below minimum wage this is a non-starter.

For a hobby, sure, go for it.

I you want to make money, not a good prospect.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mmi said:

So if seller refuses to say anything more than needs engine,where would one look for the correct IH 444...?

If you fund me a DT466 with an equivalent of 10k miles, i will give you a 444E 

There are decent but older semi tractors around here quite reasonable, everybody seems to want newer electronic trucks for reasons unknown to me.  I know you could get into a pretty decent tractor and 28-32ft dump trailer for $20k or less and haul 800 to 1k bushels legally here.

• Like 1

Sounds like I do not have to be overly concerned about running a gas engine.  If I get a truck I just want to be in the know as to what may be coming along in terms of maintenance.  I've learned some things here concerning tires among other things.  I'd rather hire it hauled given the cost of that versus ownership but you have to find someone willing to do that.  Everybody here having a truck has an agenda.  Patronize or force out.  They will patronize a guy a year or so away from retirement but I am not even  60 yet so they look at me as an obstacle or competition.  Anyways, I have learned a few things posting this thread.  

2 hours ago, JaredT said:

Neighbors had an old Loadstar with a 3208 Cat. They ran that thing like it was stolen for at least 20 years

People really love to complain about the 3208, it might have shortcomings, but it is reliable as a brick, relatively inexpensive, fairly economical and even in cold weather, if you can get it to roll over a couple times it is running. With a 10 spd behind it would be a nice choice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

People really love to complain about the 3208, it might have shortcomings, but it is reliable as a brick, relatively inexpensive, fairly economical and even in cold weather, if you can get it to roll over a couple times it is running. With a 10 spd behind it would be a nice choice.

It is until it isn't lol really it's biggest problem is it's sleeves like 3116/26 and a throwaway engine.

2 minutes ago, F-301066460puller said:

It is until it isn't lol really it's biggest problem is it's sleeves like 3116/26 and a throwaway engine.

Considering its replacement cost and longevity, that’s really just not a big deal. 

2 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Also consider the application. A grain truck that sits 10 months a year. It will take generations to wear it out.

Zactly

16 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Also consider the application. A grain truck that sits 10 months a year. It will take generations to wear it out even if it's 90% worn out already.

I remember 25-30 years ago just about every farm i knew of had at least one  ford L8000/9000 with a 3208 cat.  A lot of them were old Agway feed trucks made into silage trucks.  The other one that was popular was the C65 with the 366 gas.  Everyone seemed to get along just fine.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Paystar5000 said:

I remember 25-30 years ago just about every farm i knew of had at least one  ford L8000/9000 with a 3208 cat.  A lot of them were old Agway feed trucks made into silage trucks.  The other one that was popular was the C65 with the 366 gas.  Everyone seemed to get along just fine.  

Yup and I bet they ran for years until they didn't, and by that time the rest of the trucks were so far gone they needed to be replaced anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Also consider the application. A grain truck that sits 10 months a year. It will take generations to wear it out even if it's 90% worn out already.

More apt to eat out from the road salt.  Most guys around here get stuck harvesting after the first snow has come to stay.

7 hours ago, F-301066460puller said:

I am certainly not arguing with you. Neighbors have Cat excavators with those engines with over 20K and 18K hours and no engine work on them. They actually bought a 3rd on with only 6K hours and feel like they found a gem.