Jump to content

Loadstar repower


766 Man

Recommended Posts

  I see Loadstar trucks for sale that look reasonable in price but have gas engines.  Just wondering what has been done to put a diesel in and if in the end not much money was saved?  Does not seem to be many out there that work on the older big block gas engines.  Also, the talk is parts are harder to find but we all know how talk can be at times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, F-301066460puller said:

Dt-360, Dt-466. B series Cummins. I'm sure an LS has probably been done by now.

  Those engines are not laying around at least here like they were years ago.  A combine engine is more than a simple bolt up but how much needs to be changed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

What’s the intended use? If it’s for work and there is not a specific reason a semi won’t work, get a semi. If it’s just for fun, then go for it. 

  Grain truck.  Today's prices on semi's & trailers put them out of my reach.  My kindly neighbor used to haul for me but he is not around anymore.  I've done the tractor and wagon approach to the elevator but that is not efficient and if the roads are wet that affects my ability to hold the road on hills.  If I had just one truck I would be much further along in harvest this fall.  I need to be rid of this handling bottleneck.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, New Englander said:

Is the gas engine bad in the one you're looking at? If it's got a good gas engine and it's only used part time the numbers may pencil out to stay with gas.

  The engine is OK but I am putting an eye to the future when it may need work and who is around that knows those engines.  Also, parts availability.  I don't want to be stuck with an albatross.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

  The engine is OK but I am putting an eye to the future when it may need work and who is around that knows those engines.  Also, parts availability.  I don't want to be stuck with an albatross.  

It's a loadstar already an antique.

It should have a SAE bell housing

Any turbo motor will need a vacuum pump to run the brakes if its juice brakes 

Find a junk truck with DT466 or a Detroit and swap the engine and tranny 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just like the construction side ..............They ALL need the SAME parts....... NLA and dont care. $120K gets you new and it will spend 60%> of the time down,for NATF issues and NLA.

Been watching 4xxx 95' >   running gear, computers/electrics NLA to $$$$.

If you find something not rotted away and needing $$ its a low mile auto ,been for sale 6mo-3 yrs and/or 3rd owner in same................no one offers why,..Truth!

Found 3 with in 300 miles , 444/466 ,good bodies to excellent appearance updates and repairs. Priced where they should be.  BUT the drill down ,owned by mechanic/co or been thru shop  needs dfg + and or engine.   ALL sellers of such take EXTREME offense to the simple ? Elaborate,what did the shop find? does it need computer, external /internal engine parts .

The truck only needs a engine like the ad says

runs ,all operate as spec,just needs $$$  and engine

Dont have time to fix you can do for $$

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My 1975, 1800 will be getting a 7.3 Powerstroke this winter.

No room for a long I6 unless you want to fab a huge dog house, then the trans shifter will be at the back wall.

I have a complete truck with the 7.3 so I've got all the wiring, plus the psd has a vacuum pump to run the brakes.

Downside is the PSD will still be WAY underpowered for 500+ bushel twin screw, but at least it'll be a diesel with way for torque.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, mmi said:

Just like the construction side ..............They ALL need the SAME parts....... NLA and dont care. $120K gets you new and it will spend 60%> of the time down,for NATF issues and NLA.

Been watching 4xxx 95' >   running gear, computers/electrics NLA to $$$$.

If you find something not rotted away and needing $$ its a low mile auto ,been for sale 6mo-3 yrs and/or 3rd owner in same................no one offers why,..Truth!

Found 3 with in 300 miles , 444/466 ,good bodies to excellent appearance updates and repairs. Priced where they should be.  BUT the drill down ,owned by mechanic/co or been thru shop  needs dfg + and or engine.   ALL sellers of such take EXTREME offense to the simple ? Elaborate,what did the shop find? does it need computer, external /internal engine parts .

The truck only needs a engine like the ad says

runs ,all operate as spec,just needs $$$  and engine

Dont have time to fix you can do for $$

  I know truck upkeep can be expensive.  But I need my crop moved and waiting for someone to move it and let the rest stand in the field is not an option.  Tractor and wagon to the elevator is inefficient plus cost of ag tires are not cheap.  I also don't want to get hit by someone while I am changing a tire along the highway.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

By the time you mess around with hydraulic brakes, that dry out, a hydra boost that leaks, an under powered gas burner that needs overhauled, you can find a single axle truck and trailer for less money and WAY more reliable. 
 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, New Englander said:

A 345 long block is under 3 grand. Not bad for a rebuilt engine. Not a cheap as a SBC but if you're worrying about parts availability it shouldn't be a problem.

Until you have to work on brakes 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Save your time and money. Plenty of decent grain trucks for reasonable money out there. J Martin always has several in his sales

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As has been pointed out, gear ratio is likely wrong and it's just not hard, perhaps easier, to work on a gas engine. I'm all for diesel on road trucks that'll see hard and constant use but if you're trying to economize, maintaining a gas truck isn't hard. Yes, you'll be replacing brakes and things like that but converting to diesel won't stop that and if it has hydraulic brakes it opens yet another can of  worms. The economy of a diesel won't save you enough to pay for the headaches of converting unless you already own a donor truck, at least in y opinion.

https://www.sandjengines.com/searchproducts/rebuilt-hipro-engines/1964~International~1700_Loadstar

Edit: or save up for something better.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Until you have to work on brakes 

If its juice brakes it's a single circuit master cylinder so lose one line no brakes and all you got left is the drive line brake  

If you really want to haul heavy loads find a air brake truck 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These days you can't worry about parts availability. Treat everything as disposable. Pay no more than you can afford to lose, run the wheels off it until it won't go no more, and when it quits, drag it into the hedgerow.

I know that's not how a lot of folks here operate but from a dollars and sense standpoint the world discovered that "throw it away and get another one" is far less costly than paying someone to phiddle-phart around rebuilding engines and whatnot...

Then again there's always a small block or big block chevy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If its truly a Loadstar you want you can wait and watch for one with a factory diesel. Loadstars were offered with 6-53 Detriots from the factory and towards the end DT466 was a factory option the last couple years like mine. I'd stay away from DV-550 and its brother.

But at the end of the day brake parts are getting tough to find, have to find 20" tires or convert to 22.5 tires. S-Series was more comfortable, has better parts availability and had better options in my opinion. Diesel engines were more common, 6.9, 7.3, DT360, DT466, 9.0 diesels.
But the Loadstar definitely has a cool classic look!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, brahamfireman said:

My 1975, 1800 will be getting a 7.3 Powerstroke this winter.

No room for a long I6 unless you want to fab a huge dog house, then the trans shifter will be at the back wall.

I have a complete truck with the 7.3 so I've got all the wiring, plus the psd has a vacuum pump to run the brakes.

Downside is the PSD will still be WAY underpowered for 500+ bushel twin screw, but at least it'll be a diesel with way for torque.

Under powered would be an understatement.  I used to pull a 325 bushel GN trailer with a diesel pickup set for 295 hp and that was enough.  I could get it to 60 but it didn’t like it at all.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally i wouldn't even worry about a conversion. By the time you get something useable. You are into it as much as a decent truck. 

Like was mentioned. Brakes and brake boosters would be a issue to overcome in a gas to diesel conversion. Rebuilding the dog house and mounts. To me its a bigger hassle than its worth. If it runs. Id run it the way it is. My gut says you don't have grain storage so everything goes to town in the fall. So most the rest the year its sitting. Why spend that much to retrofit a running truck that sits 10 months a year. 

If it runs. Get it right and run it. If not walk away. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

If its juice brakes it's a single circuit master cylinder so lose one line no brakes and all you got left is the drive line brake  

If you really want to haul heavy loads find a air brake truck 

I don't know much about these trucks. No way would I run one knowing that.  Brake lines rot out here.  Even if it was well monitored and didn't rot what if one rubs through?  You have zero brakes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...