The New & Better No. 10 Grain Drill

Absent Minded Farmer

This one transferred nicely, although it's just a touch out of focus (there was only so much dark left this morning & making 10 trips to the computer wasn't going to fit into the sun's schedule, nor my stomach's as I wanted this done before breakfast. Insert more excuses here.... etc, etc. :v) ).

Enjoy!!

Mike

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Very nice video, thanks for sharing. I have a #10 drill, and while it does a good job, I don't think quite as highly of it as IH did in this film. However, it beats the VanBrunt that it replaced all to pieces. 

Mac

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MacAR said:

Very nice video, thanks for sharing. I have a #10 drill, and while it does a good job, I don't think quite as highly of it as IH did in this film. However, it beats the VanBrunt that it replaced all to pieces. 

Mac

Agreed! The 10 would probably fair better than my old wood-wheeled job, too.

Mike

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MacAR said:

Mac

That’s one of the drills that it was replacing!! It’s kind of hard to imagine the no.10 being brand new when the 510 was here when I was little. Then dad bought a 5100. We took it all apart and replaced all of the openers, bushings and springs on the unit pivots and then painted it. He didn’t spend the money on new decals, so the whole time we had it, it had pieces of masking tape still stuck on the decals.

• Like 2

I recognize that spokespersons voice from a 1973 IH film on DVD 14 from FarmingtonImplement. Could be a different guy tho. 

So I suppose the photographic center did these films too? Just in a different format than the motion picture films. I’ve never known a lot about these ones like you posted. 

21 hours ago, IHhogfarmer said:

I recognize that spokespersons voice from a 1973 IH film on DVD 14 from FarmingtonImplement. Could be a different guy tho. 

So I suppose the photographic center did these films too? Just in a different format than the motion picture films. I’ve never known a lot about these ones like you posted. 

If one were to venture a guess, IH used their own photos, wrote the script & sent it all off to AGS&R, Dallas Jones, Etc. Those companies would have added the voice-over & set up a story board for approval. After the green light, they would go about the record mastering & get the master filmstrip done. Then get everything reproduced & canned for distribution. Those media companies were pro's & would have been able to fill out Harvesters requests in short order, though scheduling would have been an issue. They were making filmstrips for everybody at that time by the thousands!

Mike

7 hours ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

If one were to venture a guess, IH used their own photos, wrote the script & sent it all off to AGS&R, Dallas Jones, Etc. Those companies would have added the voice-over & set up a story board for approval. After the green light, they would go about the record mastering & get the master filmstrip done. Then get everything reproduced & canned for distribution. Those media companies were pro's & would have been able to fill out Harvesters requests in short order, though scheduling would have been an issue. They were making filmstrips for everybody at that time by the thousands!

Mike

After 1959 IH made all their own films, instead of the productions like you said that did them in past years. I can’t speak much to the ones like you posted but IH was very good at doing their own films at the photographic center. I love the film and advertising side of things for IH. 

I’m one to think that IH did the most promoting film wise (making film at least) than any other company. Allis-Chalmers might have been second to them. 

As you look at the Farmington Implement videos and the literature form the same period,  you begin to recognize the shots.  They took plenty of stills along with the movies.  Many of the scenes and angles are the same.  It wouldn't surprise me if they snipped movie frames for literature shots as well.

The discussion on Danco belly mowers a while back had some literature posted......EXACTLY the same equipment and shots from the video Farmington Implement published. 

There is an 800 plow video that has the plow behind a 4366....that same shot is on the cover of the late 70s moldboard plow literature....certainly shot and filmed together. 

Many of the 284 scenes from the current DVD are also literature shots. 

....Growing up as the kid who was always pouring over 70s and 80s literature has the benefit of "that looks familiar "🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

As you look at the Farmington Implement videos and the literature form the same period,  you begin to recognize the shots.  They took plenty of stills along with the movies.  Many of the scenes and angles are the same.  It wouldn't surprise me if they snipped movie frames for literature shots as well.

The discussion on Danco belly mowers a while back had some literature posted......EXACTLY the same equipment and shots from the video Farmington Implement published. 

There is an 800 plow video that has the plow behind a 4366....that same shot is on the cover of the late 70s moldboard plow literature....certainly shot and filmed together. 

Many of the 284 scenes from the current DVD are also literature shots. 

....Growing up as the kid who was always pouring over 70s and 80s literature has the benefit of "that looks familiar "🤣🤣

As you watch those films you notice that they took some scenes originally on one film and used them in a different one.

15 minutes ago, IHhogfarmer said:

As you watch those films you notice that they took some scenes originally on one film and used them in a different one.

Yes, that happens for sure.