Cub Cadet 100

Loadstar

Happened to see a Cub Cadet 100 today buried way in the back of a shed. Wish I'd taken a picture of the whole thing but only got the i.d. plate image on the Kohler engine. Sheet metal looks good. Says triple range drive on the fender. Are these rare or collectible? As far as I know it has not run in years and mechanical condition is unknown. 

IMG_5216[1].JPG

11 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

Solid old units.   Easy to fix up and play with.

Thanks, I'll try and get a better look and pictures at this one. 

• 2 weeks later...

The older Kohler engines are pretty simple to work on and parts are available. I have a 1967 John Deere 110 that sat for awhile. I did that stereotypical things to it, battery, cleaned fuel tank, line, carb, points changed oil and fired right up. I'd like an original, 70, or 100 to have a close match to the 110.

20211222_1129462.thumb.jpg.75eca696e1ffdb63f92bfe486bcb9930.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 11:55 PM, Loadstar said:

Says triple range drive on the fender. 

Maybe I should know this, but been drawing a blank on the term triple range drive?

I'm guessing it is referencing the creeper drive option??  Perhaps someone put decal on for that ???

On 11/14/2023 at 5:19 AM, Mountain Heritage said:

I'm guessing it is referencing the creeper drive option??  Perhaps someone put decal on for that ???

Without any other photos it could be in reference to anything or nothing at all.   Really hard to say.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2023 at 11:55 PM, Loadstar said:

Happened to see a Cub Cadet 100 today buried way in the back of a shed. Wish I'd taken a picture of the whole thing but only got the i.d. plate image on the Kohler engine. Sheet metal looks good. Says triple range drive on the fender. Are these rare or collectible? As far as I know it has not run in years and mechanical condition is unknown. 

IMG_5216[1].JPG

JI Case had a triple range transmission on their 100 series tractors. Someone might have stuck a decal on the CC 100. M&W had a 9 speed for the Original Cub Cadets. No idea if that had a decal or what they named it. Might be a decal to denote a gear reduction box for a trencher or something similar.

Mike

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Mike - M&W simply called the overdrive & underdrive for the CC Original "The 9-speed" like their fast 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & 4th for FARMALL H'S & M's.  Those 9-speeds are really scarce now days. With the newer hydrostatic with instant on the go speed change you really don't need the under/over drive.

I had the M&W sheet on the 9-speed, the flip side was the front mounted weed mower which is also really rare. Dad had a ROOF high wheel weed mower with a 7 hp Wisconsin engine he mowed around the fences of all our corn fields once every summer, that front mount mower on an Original with a 9-speed would have been nice. I borrowed Dad's ROOF the summer we bought our house, the prior owner didn't mow about a 10 ft wide swath around our whole yard. NO way would my 129 with 44" deck handle grass & weeds taller than it's hood, but that ROOF ran right thru it at a brisk walking pace. I let the clippings dry for a week and mulched them with the 129, in a month or two the grass had taken over.

Dad sold that ROOF mower on his last auction in 2006, I think it brought about $30.

• Thanks 1

Denny,

I think every Midwest farm had a Roof weed mower   IIRC it took Lawn Bow mower blades.   Wisconsin motor would never pull start the first use of the season on ours and we would have to belt it up to the M with a really long V-belt to get it going....after that it worked fine.   It was a beast to handle......and OSHA was not on their list of priorities when they designed the early ones!!!!   Later versions had a round guard with fingers.....ours was just a 21" mower blade with a little wire loop to redirect clippings.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 8:03 AM, DR.EVIL said:

Mike - M&W simply called the overdrive & underdrive for the CC Original "The 9-speed" like their fast 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & 4th for FARMALL H'S & M's.  Those 9-speeds are really scarce now days. With the newer hydrostatic with instant on the go speed change you really don't need the under/over drive.

I had the M&W sheet on the 9-speed, the flip side was the front mounted weed mower which is also really rare. Dad had a ROOF high wheel weed mower with a 7 hp Wisconsin engine he mowed around the fences of all our corn fields once every summer, that front mount mower on an Original with a 9-speed would have been nice. I borrowed Dad's ROOF the summer we bought our house, the prior owner didn't mow about a 10 ft wide swath around our whole yard. NO way would my 129 with 44" deck handle grass & weeds taller than it's hood, but that ROOF ran right thru it at a brisk walking pace. I let the clippings dry for a week and mulched them with the 129, in a month or two the grass had taken over.

Dad sold that ROOF mower on his last auction in 2006, I think it brought about $30.

Roof made those really cool Jeep look alike mowers. Have you seen any in your area? Only ever seen one at at show & I believe it was Baraboo.

Mike