100 hp Cockshutt

nomorejohndeere

5 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

The Oliver version came out in 1960.  If it wasn’t for the intro of the NG tractors in 1960, I think the Oliver 1800/1900 wouldn’t be an afterthought in tractor lore.

That would be the 435 or 440 if it was industrial.  Those ended production in 1960.

It’s yellow industrial John Deere colors. I’ll find out from the fella next time I see him but those numbers ring a bell. Steering shaft passes right over the rocker cover, I remember that because I had to remove it to service the top end 

2 minutes ago, AngrySailor said:

It’s yellow industrial John Deere colors. I’ll find out from the fella next time I see him but those numbers ring a bell. Steering shaft passes right over the rocker cover, I remember that because I had to remove it to service the top end 

I’m guessing it’s a 440 then.  Even with the Detriot it was a better tractor than the 1010 that replaced it.  

17 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

Or a HD15

Got any audio of that?

DD are just so neat.  Yeah their loud since they fire 2x as much as a 4 stroke, yeah they aint as fuel efficient since some "blows" though, but man they a kinda fun to drive and those engineers were thinking.  Lf or rt heads, need a v12?  Bolt 2 v6 together.  Generator?  Sure.  Tug boat? Sure.  Pick up? Why not..just remove 2 of 6 cyl.  Semi? Yep.  Tractor? V6 v8 or v12?.  Make it run backwards?  Ok no problem.  Parts interchange?  Pretty much.  Beside run air planes and upside down what didnt them 2 stroke dd do?  

My genset is 6V92... 90s model.  Turbo and blower. Its really not that loud at full idle really.  Fires right up everytime.  Purrs like a kitty.  Would a 8.3 use less fuel?  I would dare bet so.  Be little quieter....probably.  be as cool?  Obviously not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@TroyDairy You forgot -- need an engine that can lay on its side for bus duty -- no problem, DD can do that too!

I would love to have a 2 stroke Detroit for a standby generator.  Would prefer a 6-71 but a 4-71 would be more than enough.  Gensets usually turn 1800 rpm and that is kind of a  nice sweet spot for a Detroit 2 stroke to run. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gearclash said:

@TroyDairy You forgot -- need an engine that can lay on its side for bus duty -- no problem, DD can do that too!

I would love to have a 2 stroke Detroit for a standby generator.  Would prefer a 6-71 but a 4-71 would be more than enough.  Gensets usually turn 1800 rpm and that is kind of a  nice sweet spot for a Detroit 2 stroke to run. 

Our fire department has access to a massive water storage system under what was originally a seed corn plant, now a feed mill. It is pumped out with a Detroit 4-53 I believe. I can tell you I’m not sticking around inside that building to look at it closely after it’s been fired up!! Crank it up and get out!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gearclash said:

That's right...

Yep 1800 with a low load on a 355kw genset.  It sounds just right there

On 11/4/2023 at 6:52 PM, TroyDairy said:

That's right...

Yep 1800 with a low load on a 355kw genset.  It sounds just right there

Sailed a tug in the spring with twin V20 EMD’s and a pair of 8v71 generators. They were 6 pole 3 phase alternators and ran 1200rpm for 60hz. A bit low for a 71 series but they would last forever...

• Like 2