100 hp Cockshutt

nomorejohndeere

They say the newer hearing aids are cheaper and just as good. I ordered a pair and if you run this thing much try and save your hearing

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, JaredT said:

But the coolest sounding truck engine to start on a cold day.😉 Everybody for a mile around knows which truck just started. 

True.

About 35-40  years ago a local contractor had a Transstar tractor that hauled the low bed trailer.

Tractor was straight-piped.

Tractor had a 400 horsepower-plus  8v-71 in it.

There was a long hill that came down to a stoplight by his shop.

Everybody for miles could hear Clyde downshifting and riding the Jake Brake.

8 hours ago, supermechanic said:

Detriot Diesel, the most efficient way to turn fuel into noise.

Rivaled only by Harley Davidson.  Harley might win if you figured decibels per cubic inch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On the right side of the engine ,there’s a single vacant v belt pulley ,what it do ?

51 minutes ago, 560Dennis said:

On the right side of the engine ,there’s a single vacant v belt pulley ,what it do ?

Somebody can correct me if I am wrong but I think those are balancers.  There are two of them on the accessory end of the engine, both have double belt grooves.  Sometimes they are used to drive accessories.  

2 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Somebody can correct me if I am wrong but I think those are balancers.  There are two of them on the accessory end of the engine, both have double belt grooves.  Sometimes they are used to drive accessories.  

Thanks my C doesn’t have accessories, just nitrous some days 

6 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

If I was younger, a 4-53 in a 3/4 T Chevy pickup would be my project?

When I was 14-15 my brother (a year older) and I would always look through auto trader type magazines to find our eventual dream trucks. I stumbled on a dent side ford f250 (73-79) crew cab short box 4x4 with a 4-53 and 5-speed direct manual transmission. It wasn’t out of line for price, but I was a little ways from being licensed, and a long ways from having the cash!

One pulley is on the camshaft. The other is a balance shaft. On a Detroit they can be configured to have either a right hand or left hand head. The blower, governor, exhaust manifold, etc can be assembled on the opposite side. Then the cam and balancer shafts are switched. the V engines have 2 camshafts. I have seen a 4-71 tractor pulling engine with a blower on both sides just to try and give it more air. Of course then you are getting into the characteristics of a 2 stroke DD... you won't have any more significant cylinder pressure without restricting the exhaust.. it's just breathing more. The real key to DD performance is adding a turbo. Then you can create useful back pressure. They made bypass blowers so that when boost came up, it bypassed the mechanical blower and blew boost right into the airbox, and the blower was just along for the ride. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Perhaps @AngrySailor can help us out here. 

Everything he said:

3 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

One pulley is on the camshaft. The other is a balance shaft. On a Detroit they can be configured to have either a right hand or left hand head. The blower, governor, exhaust manifold, etc can be assembled on the opposite side. Then the cam and balancer shafts are switched. the V engines have 2 camshafts. I have seen a 4-71 tractor pulling engine with a blower on both sides just to try and give it more air. Of course then you are getting into the characteristics of a 2 stroke DD... you won't have any more significant cylinder pressure without restricting the exhaust.. it's just breathing more. The real key to DD performance is adding a turbo. Then you can create useful back pressure. They made bypass blowers so that when boost came up, it bypassed the mechanical blower and blew boost right into the airbox, and the blower was just along for the ride. 

59 minutes ago, AngrySailor said:

Wonder what year that is? The fact that it’s GM DIESEL and not Detroit indicates is a two valve head. I think they changed to four valve heads in the late fifties or early sixties but I think they used up remaining stock of two valve heads in certain applications... 

if Tractor Data is right it’s a ‘63 or ‘64. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AngrySailor said:

Sounds about right for a late two valve. Did some work on a John Deere with a 2-53 and it was early sixties and two valve. 

One of our neighbors had some Deere industrial tractor/backhoe with a Detroit in it. It was the only one I ever saw. It would have been a sixty something. I have no idea what model it was. I would think it would have to be a rare model. 

7 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

if Tractor Data is right it’s a ‘63 or ‘64. 

The Oliver version came out in 1960.  If it wasn’t for the intro of the NG tractors in 1960, I think the Oliver 1800/1900 wouldn’t be an afterthought in tractor lore.

4 minutes ago, AngrySailor said:

Sounds about right for a late two valve. Did some work on a John Deere with a 2-53 and it was early sixties and two valve. 

That would be the 435 or 440 if it was industrial.  Those ended production in 1960.

• Like 1