guessing bushels (of soybeans) in bin

gh-in-oh

I am pretty sure to estimate bushels of corn in a bin its 80% of the volume.    Is there a way to estimate soybeans?   On a normal year, i just sell them out of the field, however this year i am putting them in a bin and going to hire them hauled once i am finished.  Was just hoping to give the guy an estimate of how many loads will be needed.   Thanks to all.  

30 minutes ago, gh-in-oh said:

I am pretty sure to estimate bushels of corn in a bin its 80% of the volume.    Is there a way to estimate soybeans?   On a normal year, i just sell them out of the field, however this year i am putting them in a bin and going to hire them hauled once i am finished.  Was just hoping to give the guy an estimate of how many loads will be needed.   Thanks to all.  

Unless I am not following what you are trying to say corn and beans should be the same in terms of volume.  1 bushel equals 2.44 cu ft.  Test weight comes into play for the trucker so he knows he is not legally overloaded.  

Round 18' bin equals 203 bushels per linear foot.

Round 21' bin equals 283 bushels per linear foot.

Round 24' bin equals 362 bushels per linear foot.

• Like 1

Multiply cubic feet times .8 to get bushels.  You can adjust bushels for test weight by multiplying bushels in the bin by actual test weight and dividing by standard corn weight of 56 or standard soybean weight of 60.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.   766 man...... we were getting the same answers just different calculations.....(i think)  anyhow your examples matched my numbers.   I didn't realize the calculations for corn and beans were the same.    

axial......... You said test weight and i started to sweat.  I thought we opened a huge can of worms there.   If you would have just said it depends if you are running the loading auger with an 806 or a 4020 would be the biggest factor in  the equation.    LOL.   seriously thanks.  You did teach me a few things.   

appreciate all the info.  Have a great day

2 hours ago, 766 Man said:

Unless I am not following what you are trying to say corn and beans should be the same in terms of volume.  1 bushel equals 2.44 cu ft.  Test weight comes into play for the trucker so he knows he is not legally overloaded.  

Round 18' bin equals 203 bushels per linear foot.

Round 21' bin equals 283 bushels per linear foot.

Round 24' bin equals 362 bushels per linear foot.

Load her up... avoid the scales lol

A good rule of thumb if you have a 10,000 bushel bin of anything but heavy wheat. Take 10% off and that is your net bushels. Up north here soybeans are always light. So on a trailer that will hold 1000 bushels of wheat you will have 900 or about 915 of soybeans. Same for corn with moisture and test weight you are always short bushels.  In 15 years of soybeans we have never sold a bushel that weighed over 58.9. They are usually 57 to 57.3 corn the same way. We have sold some 58 lb corn in spring but mostly 54 in fall