GM 366/427 tall deck

vtfireman85

2 minutes ago, Wi Ih said:

I will 

A factory 454 truck is a somewhat rare bird in Chevy truck worlds. I have seen probably 1000 or more  Chevy trucks with hoods open and touched but have only seen 2 with 454 possibly the third one can’t remember it’s color and specifics.

i had a cousin that used to run the 427 in his dump trucks he had 5 or 6  and farmer i worked for ran them in grain trucks and a dump truck he had and two of them that i know ff broke cranks, not sure why but they did, replaced one with a 350 not sure what they did with the otehr one he was frustrated - cousin stepped up to bigger trucks and series 60 detroits were his favorite said he could get a lotta miles out of them

• Like 1

We started out with the 366 in a 76 C65, never could get it to run right, finally sent it out for rebuild, found a 427 block and had it bored.030 over, turned the crank down just a touch to clean it up IIRC, Eddlebrock 550, always had issues keeping exhaust gaskets in it, the manifold/down pipe donuts were actually the worst. The original had a sleeve, I never could find them, the available replacement kept disintegrating, I ended up welding a sleeve in the down-pipethat the donut would fit over, probably created a bit of restriction, but it solved the issue of blowing out gaskets. studs would have helped manifold gaskets a lot, I think, but you would have had to lift the engine out to change manifolds, kept cooking the starter too, it nestled in behind the passenger side exhaust manifold. Eventually I went to an electric fuel pump because i was having issues with the mechanical ones, I think just parts quality, when it ran well it had quite a lot of power, especially compared to the 366. Sometimes I miss it, I like the 3208 we have now, but hate the Allison 643. 
the 427/5+2 was a good combination. 
best thing ever for those are high temp plug wires. They had little sheet metal heat shields for each plug boot, but ours we’re pretty moth eaten when we got it. Kept melting plug boots, found some With fiberglass boots, made a huge difference. 
it was my first venture into big V8’s and was a learning experience. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

We started out with the 366 in a 76 C65, never could get it to run right, finally sent it out for rebuild, found a 427 block and had it bored.030 over, turned the crank down just a touch to clean it up IIRC, Eddlebrock 550, always had issues keeping exhaust gaskets in it, the manifold/down pipe donuts were actually the worst. The original had a sleeve, I never could find them, the available replacement kept disintegrating, I ended up welding a sleeve in the down-pipethat the donut would fit over, probably created a bit of restriction, but it solved the issue of blowing out gaskets. studs would have helped manifold gaskets a lot, I think, but you would have had to lift the engine out to change manifolds, kept cooking the starter too, it nestled in behind the passenger side exhaust manifold. Eventually I went to an electric fuel pump because i was having issues with the mechanical ones, I think just parts quality, when it ran well it had quite a lot of power, especially compared to the 366. Sometimes I miss it, I like the 3208 we have now, but hate the Allison 643. 
the 427/5+2 was a good combination. 
best thing ever for those are high temp plug wires. They had little sheet metal heat shields for each plug boot, but ours we’re pretty moth eaten when we got it. Kept melting plug boots, found some With fiberglass boots, made a huge difference. 
it was my first venture into big V8’s and was a learning experience. 

Yes those exhaust manifolds were always problems. The ones made after 1995 or so were Chinese junk but they worked. If you had any kind of vacuum leak by carb it would run a bit lean and manifolds wouldn’t last. I bet I changed maybe 300 manifolds on those most in the truck without fold hoods. The flip up style like a pickup. It was a pain but you could change them in a couple or 3 hours. My truck buddy used to by those  sets at a time and always bought new bolts from Chevy also bulk.

• Like 1

I remember driving a Ford gravel truck in the late 70's and it had a 429

Forged cranks were very common in 396 and 427 maybe all were but in passenger vehicles only the highest performance received a forged crank in 454, AFAIK the truck engines had forged cranks, wonder what they used for the 454 as it is externally balanced? Always heard the rumor of 454 truck engine, there is the proof with its own engine code L42.

28 minutes ago, Wi Ih said:

image.thumb.jpeg.3a37d3569b72977b7e25ea0cbe5518ca.jpegthis is on the 1980 tilt hood fender 

truck came out of Kentucky 

That’s 2x what my parents house cost when they built it in 1980

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Yes those exhaust manifolds were always problems. The ones made after 1995 or so were Chinese junk but they worked. If you had any kind of vacuum leak by carb it would run a bit lean and manifolds wouldn’t last. I bet I changed maybe 300 manifolds on those most in the truck without fold hoods. The flip up style like a pickup. It was a pain but you could change them in a couple or 3 hours. My truck buddy used to by those  sets at a time and always bought new bolts from Chevy also bulk.

New gaskets were a 20 minute endeavor, but it was about every 6 months. Flip up hood on ours

Just now, vtfireman85 said:

Top pic is my favorite grill! Good looking trucks! 

The 80 is clean 

the 87 is got some rust 

The 454 got power, but with 22ft box, I can fit 700 bushels of corn but you’ll never get to high gear 

• Like 2

My C60 is a 71. Love the body style on those trucks. It has a stout gallion twin hoist grain bed and it's one of the main trucks hauling rice to our bins. It makes a lot of one mile round trips. I bought it at an estate sale and they lost the title...

The mufflers are full of leaks so I can't tell if the manifold leaks.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, acem said:

My C60 is a 71. Love the body style on those trucks. It has a stout gallion twin hoist grain bed and it's one of the main trucks hauling rice to our bins. It makes a lot of one mile round trips. I bought it at an estate sale and they lost the title...

Thx-Ace 

The hood louver on the side of a 71,72 were signs of a big block engine. Never seen them with a small engine. Here is a pic sorry to edit dang auto correct

08609FF7-C3E8-41AA-A22A-CA5E5768ADF3.png

• Like 2

8 hours ago, acem said:

Thx-Ace 

Is yours HEI or points?

I seem to remember HEI being pretty new for 76’ 

Delco points. Needs a new set every year or so. 

I get the Delco points/condenser combined into a single unit. They are very easy to install and adjust. However the prestolite points in my loadstars will outlast the Delco style by several times. The prestolite has a cover between the cap/rotor and the points which protects the points. The Delco has a window in the cap to make adjustments easier. The prestolite last for years In my service.

You will find 454s in 1989 GMC 6500 that were ordered by Schwans. It was not an available option for those trucks but GM switched to throttle body injection from carburetors and Schwans did not have a certified LP conversion that they could use so they GM to install carbureted 454s in the trucks they ordered. When you buy three trucks every day you can get them specced out a bit different than the normal options. By 1990 they had EPS certification for their LP conversion so from 1990 to 1999 those trucks got the 366.