GM 366/427 tall deck

vtfireman85

4 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

Goa a 366 in the 'ol grain truck. She aint fast but seems to be tough as nails!

Not enough power to break 

What exactly makes a "tall deck"?  I know that the '76 GMC sitting back here has a 427 Tall Deck. It was a great truck with 5+4. 

8 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

What exactly makes a "tall deck"?  I know that the '76 GMC sitting back here has a 427 Tall Deck. It was a great truck with 5+4. 

Extra.030 taller to accompany another oil ring, they had forged cranks 4 bolt mains etc and I think all had bigger cooling passages. 
somebody more knowledgeable than me might correct/amend that, but its the gist. 
@dale560

• Like 4

Regular deck was 9.8 inch and tall 10.2 for .4 difference. Some performance builders used to use the tall deck 427 with stroker cranks to get a better rod angle with performance pistons. Dave

• Like 1

Just like Vermont said for the extra oil ring and a bit more rigidity, cooling.. There is an elusive tall deck 454 truck engine that was just a 2 or 4 year run in the early 1980s.  I think it was actually available in 2 years not available then again for 2 years. Those 366 427 were tough engines also. Replaced about as many ihc,345, 392 as I did 366 427 in chevys around 30 of each. Then we overhauled a few. Way back days again around 1995 we had the private amoco bulk dealer from dads hometown needed his 76 Chevy 366 engine changed. We farmed over their and dad knew family for years. He called dad brought truck with a load of fuel 1600 Gallo s filled dads tanks we had a rebuilt 427 ordered already and on hand. Pulled motor Saturday dressed out the long block, put motor in on Sunday she was back hauling fuel to locals Monday Morning 9am. It was about this time of year to.

Here are some pics of brochures. And yes there is a short lived time of a 454 tall deck. I only became aware of them in 1994/5. My truck sales buddy had 2 and I think 3 of them. The 2 were super nice 15,000 mile grain trucks. I put spark plugs in I never looked u def it but I swear it had a 5 sped trans 2 speed aux trans and 2 speed rear. So a 5/2 and 2.

89D09916-A199-4D78-8912-9A180D59BE0E.png

565B2DA8-1645-4F23-AD5F-CFF6A751D5E0.png

AFF21897-4690-4C04-8AB7-4F23D4C44082.png

8A385DEE-6D2B-4B01-B267-DD1EBB772E1D.png

E1E696DF-9230-4BCA-8AC0-EBD1C386F3E5.png

98DF7C54-A6EB-4E68-95DD-3290CABA852D.png

804CBDBA-E7EE-4382-BDC7-0198EC5194A4.png

7805231D-86D9-43FE-A324-687C3BF70D92.png

242DBB65-E763-4985-AAAE-6FDBA34D1458.png

37 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Put a few  new 350s into Chevy trucks also.

There were a lot of those 350 Target Master engines installed around here in the 80’s. My dad had the 292 replaced in the C/50 with a 350 40+ years ago. It would haul 300 bushel or a little more and I always thought it ran pretty good. It has the 4+2. 

How does the carb governor and linkage work? It must be vacuum. I remember driving the grain truck when I was younger between fields and as long as the load was greater than the rpm, the accelerator action changed nothing until it equalized. I just adored driving that truck. 

5 minutes ago, acem said:

Round here the big block Chevy's and IH SV  engines lasted very long. There were some good lasting Ford engines but I don't know the size.

There were a few dodges that lasted but I wasn't around them as much.

Had a couple 427 in Chevy single axle 5 yard dump trucks that had 150000 and 210,000 but for the most part 50 to 80,000 was the end of most truck engines here. This even goes back to the 304 time. Dad and his buddy that owned service station in his small town that we farmed by and dad grew up in. They had a school in town with 4 buses all required to run routes. The station owner was a very sharp guy and knew how to make money. He kept almost every needed part for those buses on hand. When they got new buses he stocked parts before the even would need them. I have heard many stories of the station owner, dad and owners helper doing a scheduled rebuild of the bus motor after school. They stocked all parts all the time but dad always talked how they would pull radiator and grill out of gull wing hood set. Pull the heads off and he would put rings on pistons do the bottom half while the ow rear ground valves, seats cleaned heads. There are two older guys living in my town now always tell me about helping them. 5:30 bus rolled in by 10:30 it was delivered to school again with new rings bearings and such. They didn’t change camshafts but I framed them, new points and basic carb cleaning though. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

How does the carb governor and linkage work? It must be vacuum. I remember driving the grain truck when I was younger between fields and as long as the load was greater than the rpm, the accelerator action changed nothing until it equalized. I just adored driving that truck. 

There is vacuum diaphragm on right side of carb that can pull blades closed overiding throttle shaft but a spring to pull them against throttle when vacuum drops. First ones were distributor weight controlled. HEi ign was electronic controlled.

Just now, dale560 said:

Can you take pictures of engine front areas. This would prove they made factory tall deck 454. Which should have been 427 block with 454 special pistons and crank

I will