Jump to content

Be careful with your mail


from H to 80

Recommended Posts

I didn't want to derail the USPS thread but i thought i would warn everyone.I have heard of two different businesses having a check stolen either out of the mailbox itself or while in route to its destination. Somehow they take these checks and chemically wash the existing payee's name off and reroute them to another account. Pretty sophisticated setup from what i was told,they use some sort of mobile deposit on a disposable phone. Both of these businesses had no idea it had happened until the original payee contacted them about the lack of payment and realized that the cleared check went to the wrong person.

Both of these checks were over 30,000 so i don't know if they have some way to see whats inside of the envelope or just got lucky. I have been waiting until early in the morning to put anything in my mail box,just as a precaution. Luckily both of their banks covered the checks for them,and from what they told me FDIC does not cover the loss,so the bank has to eat it.

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, from H to 80 said:

I didn't want to derail the USPS thread but i thought i would warn everyone.I have heard of two different businesses having a check stolen either out of the mailbox itself or while in route to its destination. Somehow they take these checks and chemically wash the existing payee's name off and reroute them to another account. Pretty sophisticated setup from what i was told,they use some sort of mobile deposit on a disposable phone. Both of these businesses had no idea it had happened until the original payee contacted them about the lack of payment and realized that the cleared check went to the wrong person.

Both of these checks were over 30,000 so i don't know if they have some way to see whats inside of the envelope or just got lucky. I have been waiting until early in the morning to put anything in my mail box,just as a precaution. Luckily both of their banks covered the checks for them,and from what they told me FDIC does not cover the loss,so the bank has to eat it.

I wonder if businesses insurance would have covered the loss if the bank had not. Some businesses would weather a 30k loss, others would be pretty devastated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have had a couple of checks xome up missing in the mail. Me personnly I don't trust the mail system any more, I try and do all money / check deals in person and in cash anymore.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep, I put checks in the mail box at the post office instead of my mailbox, been hearing that people around my area have had outgoing mail stolen from their mailboxes. I guess that the crooks are driving around looking for the flags up on mailboxes and usually people are mailing checks to pay bills.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hand deliver local things, and drop the rest at the PO.

Didn't actually realize I was being safe, I thought I was being cheep, not spending 50 cents to send an envelope 6 blocks.🤔

Mike

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One couple not far from us in Door County is remodeling their house. Buying supplies at Menards and getting 11% rebate to the tune of over $2k. Never got the rebate. Called Menards corporate. They were told the rebate was already cashed. Police were contacted and the local Menards store was able to track camera footage when it was cashed. Postal worker was stealing them. I heard this happened near Kenosha as well.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dzldenny said:

One couple not far from us in Door County is remodeling their house. Buying supplies at Menards and getting 11% rebate to the tune of over $2k. Never got the rebate. Called Menards corporate. They were told the rebate was already cashed. Police were contacted and the local Menards store was able to track camera footage when it was cashed. Postal worker was stealing them. I heard this happened near Kenosha as well.

Thing is can only use the 11% rebate at Menards to buy more stuff then you get receipts to send in for the next batch. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Indeed but I'm there twice a week. Nothing but empty shelves and fishing lures at Fleet Farm. Home Depot is a joke. Everything is a dollar more than Menards and I can never get down the isle I need. Always roped off with not a sole person to be found. I'd be shopping Menards rebate or not. I can get a pound of butter there for $2.50. Same brand is $4.75 at the grocery next door over. Same with milk. Sad that I have to buy milk at the hardware store but two bucks is two bucks. Plus the rebate.

Hijack complete...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

Somehow they take these checks and chemically wash the existing payee's name off and reroute them to another account. Pretty sophisticated setup from what i was told,they use some sort of mobile deposit on a disposable phone. B

70 year old simple tech,now add phone, aps and ai....they dont even need the check. BUT JUST TRY TO ACCESS YOUR OWN ACCOUNT!!

recycled con to fit the narrative,taxpayers covered it, CBDC and govt script is the ONLY safe form of "money", for govt to take 80% tax at earning and 90% at spending on what THEY want you to own.

its actually $2-5 for every mailed check out of your pocket and insurance cos have embezzled so much ,they add in $5-25 for EVERY pmt regardless of mode.

Narrative there , APP >>>>auto deduct from your account any time or amount they want $2 off each fee.

Bank just trolling to charge 10, OD @ $40

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

I didn't want to derail the USPS thread but i thought i would warn everyone.I have heard of two different businesses having a check stolen either out of the mailbox itself or while in route to its destination. Somehow they take these checks and chemically wash the existing payee's name off and reroute them to another account. Pretty sophisticated setup from what i was told,they use some sort of mobile deposit on a disposable phone. Both of these businesses had no idea it had happened until the original payee contacted them about the lack of payment and realized that the cleared check went to the wrong person.

Both of these checks were over 30,000 so i don't know if they have some way to see whats inside of the envelope or just got lucky. I have been waiting until early in the morning to put anything in my mail box,just as a precaution. Luckily both of their banks covered the checks for them,and from what they told me FDIC does not cover the loss,so the bank has to eat it.

Exactly this happened to me in Jan of 22. A company i deal with had their mail stole out of their box on the day my check arrived.  I found out 3 weeks later when i began getting notices from my bank that funds were automatically transfering from another account to cover checks coming in. After investigating account activity i discovered the $16 check i wrote that got stolen came through my bank at  $9600+.  That is when i called the company i wrote the check to & was told that they had mail stole and had no way of knowing exactly what was taken. State police detective explained the washing process to me, we had a copy of check as cashed, was as if a blank check filled out by the thieves. It had been deposited in a new acct over a cell phone transaction, then withdrawn, then the acct was closed all in 7 to 10 days. My bank replaced my loss within 2 weeks of discovering the theft as well as covering all the fees & charges from the acct transfers,etc. None of my payments were bounced but there were multiple transfers to cover my checks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Scams...

 

We got a notice of a PPE type loan we didnt get.  It's so legit even our cpa is not sure what to think.  They want more info.  We are sitting tight for now.  Been 2 weeks and havnt heard a peep again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Father uses online bill pay, which the bank, or more likely a payment processor sends an actual check in the perforated tear off sealed envelope type thing. I wonder how these these printed checks are standing up to washing as opposed to the hand written ones, and also if they come with some greater level of certainty that the issuer will be made whole again if it is compromised. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Scams...

 

We got a notice of a PPE type loan we didnt get.  It's so legit even our cpa is not sure what to think.  They want more info.  We are sitting tight for now.  Been 2 weeks and havnt heard a peep again.

  They want your banking information in order to raid your account.  That scam has been around for a while.  Around 15 years ago I got a similar letter that came from Montreal, QB.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...