An Update on the EV Scene

Ian Beale

Way too much false information in this deal with carbon neutral, if you go out gambling and bet $100 lose it and win it back you have done nothing to improve anything. They should be looking at carbon negative or zero to make any gain, assuming carbon is a bad thing as it's part of everything around us and CO2 is essential for vegetation growth. Until the plants that assemble EV power solely comes from sustainable and every company that supplied every part did so without fossil fuels its all a lie, does anyone make plastic without oil...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Way too much false information in this deal with carbon neutral, if you go out gambling and bet $100 lose it and win it back you have done nothing to improve anything. They should be looking at carbon negative or zero to make any gain, assuming carbon is a bad thing as it's part of everything around us and CO2 is essential for vegetation growth. Until the plants that assemble EV power solely comes from sustainable and every company that supplied every part did so without fossil fuels its all a lie, does anyone make plastic without oil...

.....Lance....how many times have we asked to keep ''common sense ''    out of EV  topics ?? 

...We had to crank up the 6.5 KV   generator  up at the Rainbow / Hanmer road ''toll gate ''  on occasions to charge the bloody "'E'' bikes that the saviors of the Planet  insisted on  coming thru on, despite relevant power pack 'life'' vis a vis overall travelling distance etc  etc....

Do not get me started on the myopic ''F -wits'' with the full blown coal fired planet savers   and the consequent lack of basic intelligence that follows.......(on the same 75 K road......Grrr  )

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, acem said:

Why do you need to charge an e bike?

Just pedal it...

well ya seeeeeeee ................... i have an ebike you can pedal it w/out motor assist, let it power you around, assist in the power consumption by taking load off the E motor by pedaling OR you can coast down the hills and it charges the batteries, no i didnt buy the thing, it was given to me to repair and well........i never got around to it and its sitting in my shop its 36v derived by 3 - 12v lead acid batteries at 12ahr each so when you accidently get it up against teh bike frame when installing it, it is a welder for a split second i got it going just have to get a chinazon charger for it now, well that and some new tubes/tires cause they dry rotted in the barn over the years - its even got a horn yea yea i know pictures lemme see waht i can find

Anybody that wants a pretty good picture as to how battery vehicles are going to shake out longer term need only to look at the forklift industry.  There is a substantial battery power segment there, and has been there for a pretty long while already.  Plenty of knowledge out there about battery life, upkeep, and cost.  Also interesting to note where batteries are and are not being used.  Also interesting to note the value of a battery forklift with questionable or known bad batteries.  Hint, it is scrap price.

• Like 1

Ever heard of a battery warranty new EV have 100,000 miles,  some  longer  that and extended warrantees, are offered,  charging, you can  use super charger that takes  20 to 25 min good for 325 miles.  Home chargers take the same amount as power as stove, water heater,  drier  heating  AC or any other 240 out let in your home. Cost for home chargers  cost around 1500 dollars  but dealers cover that cost and there is a 7500 tax write off. Big oil has recieved tax subsidies for over 100 years.

2 hours ago, supermpuller said:

Ever heard of a battery warranty new EV have 100,000 miles,  some  longer  that and extended warrantees, are offered,  charging, you can  use super charger that takes  20 to 25 min good for 325 miles.  Home chargers take the same amount as power as stove, water heater,  drier  heating  AC or any other 240 out let in your home. Cost for home chargers  cost around 1500 dollars  but dealers cover that cost and there is a 7500 tax write off. Big oil has recieved tax subsidies for over 100 years.

How much is the vehicle worth when the warranty is over? Will they keep it and fix it?

14 hours ago, Wi Ih said:

Interesting  read  

image.jpeg

That is interesting.  The very FIRST problem is the guy writing the article has bought into the whole carbon is bad propaganda.  2nd is he blathers about no emissions with out taking any environmental impact/ pollution and production impacts in mind. Nothing is zero impact. I repeat nothing is zero impact.

But at least he does admitt that there are logistics and other issues with the whole charging debacle. Tho never mentions the woeful shortfal in the electric grid itself  if when not if everyone is forced to go all electric.

Enclosed charging stations? Lol ya nobody is gonna want to pay for that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, supermpuller said:

20m min eh? Well I can fuel my current vehicle in 2 to 3 min. And with pay at the pump I never enter the store most times. The only time we EVER approach 20 min at a station is if the whole family is along for a long trip like a vacation.  And then only if we are all using the restroom and grabbing some food. Usually it's more like 10 min in and out even then. So no I'm not excited about a 20 min refuel time. 

And how long does it take a home charger to add a substantial charge while using only as much as my stove or dryer? 

And why would I want tax revenue being given away or lost to subsidize something I don't support and appears to a scam in terms of environmental impact? And yes there are probably many other subsidies that need to go away. So let's do away with them instead of add more questionable ones.

Oh and my current fueling station at home cost way less than 1500 dollars and also takes a max of about 2 to 3 min to fuel my vehicle.

If a person thinks evs are the way to go, buy one. Heck buy 2 or 3. But don't mandate everyone has to. And yes the parris accord pretty much mandates that. Not today or tomorrow, but in the not so distant future. All while the major polluters of the world get a free pass til much later and probably won't comply even then. But it doesn't matter because the carbon thing is a farce, imo. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

FWIW

"Hertz backpedals on rush into EV rentals: CEO says repair costs can run “twice as high”  "

https://joannenova.com.au/2023/11/hertz-backpedals-on-rush-into-ev-rentals-ceo-says-repair-costs-can-run-twice-as-high/

"Collision and damage repairs on an EV can often run about twice that associated with a comparable combustion engine vehicle,” said Mr Scherr.

So add higher insurance payments to this nonsense. 

3 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

And why would I want tax revenue being given away or lost to subsidize something I don't support and appears to a scam in terms of environmental impact? And yes there are probably many other subsidies that need to go away. So let's do away with them instead of add more questionable ones.

Absolutely.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

you just cant make this stuff up - this is from the dealer in cape coral flordia 

image.thumb.png.bbe812f754d95ed681bda92fa6cc9e25.png

The dealer here wants 2k to remove and reinstall the battery on one.

I dumped mine at 140K because it needed a high voltage relay which required the battery to be removed.

The relay was $900 on back order with no date of availability.

we drove the car on the gas motor for 3 months  it was not worth dumping 3k into a 11 year old car with the possibility that the battery might die.

Then kept needing a reset of the ECM because the battery charge would get low because it couldn’t be charged normally because of the bad relay so we traded it and bought a gas crossover 

l normally take the wife’s old cars and run them as a winter car so I missed out

had it been a ICE car I am confident I would have been using it last winter and this coming winter 

• Like 1