An Update on the EV Scene

Ian Beale

2 hours ago, acem said:

US Olympic team taking their own AC units to Paris.

Phttps://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna158415

I remember a kids television show called “Captain Planet”. My younger brothers were watching it at my grandparents house. At the end of that episode, they talked about how air conditioning was bad for the environment. I remember my grandfather saying that anybody who thinks that is a moron. That must have been 30 years ago at least. I guess those brainwashed kids have grown up now. 

• Like 2

Never had heard of it but found this.

image.png.9f260e50500d04848541a288f7e594c5.png

Apparently it was developed by Ted Turner and Barbara Pyle to 'educate' our youth while entertaining them.

Without air conditioning there wouldn't be so many 'damn Yankees' that moved down south.

Florida would be a largely rural state.

I know what it's like without air conditioning in hot humid conditions. Few modern Americans are willing to tolerate it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, acem said:

Apparently it was developed by Ted Turner and Barbara Pyle to 'educate' our youth while entertaining them.

That’s it. I remember them also saying how washing machines and clothes dryers were bad too. 

Clothes dryers aren't really necessary. We dry our clothes on a clothes line. It's a convenience thing. Hanging clothes out to dry is probably illegal in some areas because it looks low rent.

Clothes dryers do use a lot of energy.

I understand most of the world, including Europe, air dries their clothes.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2024 at 1:25 PM, acem said:

Hanging clothes out to dry is probably illegal in some areas

Many subdivision developments have covenants prohibiting clotheslines in addition to other things.

A new development in our town has waterfront lots, just the lots, at 1.5. The cheap lots, non waterfront or water view are around $900,000. Among the covenants are a minimum 3 car garage and 3200 square foot residence, no boats or RVs in the yard, etc. Our zoning is 2 acre min lot with 200' road frontage.

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, New Englander said:

Many subdivision developments have covenants prohibiting clotheslines in addition to other things.

A new development in our town has waterfront lots, just the lots, at 1.5. The cheap lots, non waterfront or water view are around $900,000. Among the covenants are a minimum 3 car garage and 3200 square foot residence, no boats or RVs in the yard, etc. Our zoning is 2 acre min lot with 200' road frontage.

"Hills Hoist"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hills_Hoist

4 minutes ago, Ian Beale said:

I grew up with a line to a pulley on a tree about 50' away. My mom never had a dryer. I remember her rushing to pull the clothes in before a rain, pulling frozen clothes in that comically stood up until collapsing and my mom quietly cursing when a bird would soil her freshly laundered sheets.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2024 at 1:25 PM, acem said:

. Hanging clothes out to dry is probably illegal in some areas 

and impossible to do in sky scrappers and those people are the ones driving the save the planet agenda

Just now, New Englander said:

I remember her rushing to pull the clothes in before a rain, pulling frozen clothes in that comically stood up until collapsing

does anything smell better than frozen laundry?

• Like 2

You can dry clothes in tall buildings if it's legal.

People are more concerned with appearances instead of actually doing anything.

Demonstrate against fossil fuels but use a clothes dryer, have latest iphone, etc.

It's easy to tell other people how they should live but different when it comes to yourself.

Clothes dryers also spread plastic dust into the air. Plastic don't rot...

image.thumb.png.6b67725c59981f52eae01b9b6644fa40.png

image.thumb.png.502058246697c2247d78b288b9b208fa.png

• Like 4

In Singapore, tall apartment buildings would have clothes (look like horizontal) poles hanging out higher story windows (well above street level) for laundry drying. Same in Hong Kong, my HOA in Texas does not approve of outside clothes lines. We do have and use an umbrella type dryer because I can't follow regulations very well in my old age!

• Like 4

On 6/23/2024 at 12:05 PM, acem said:

"Captain Planet, he's our hero. He's gonna bring pollution down to zero". Or something similar. Gag. Worse than Slim Goodbody!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oleman said:

In Singapore, tall apartment buildings would have clothes (look like horizontal) poles hanging out higher story windows (well above street level) for laundry drying. Same in Hong Kong, my HOA in Texas does not approve of outside clothes lines. We do have and use an umbrella type dryer because I can't follow regulations very well in my old age!

My wife's gf went to Japan to teach English years ago, she was rather well endowed and they would steal her bras from her clothsline 3 stories up with fishing rods. Kind of a weird culture over there on a few things.

• Haha 1

Just now, acem said:

You can dry clothes in tall buildings if it's legal.

People are more concerned with appearances instead of actually doing anything.

Demonstrate against fossil fuels but use a clothes dryer, have latest iphone, etc.

It's easy to tell other people how they should live but different when it comes to yourself.

Clothes dryers also spread plastic dust into the air. Plastic don't rot...

image.thumb.png.6b67725c59981f52eae01b9b6644fa40.png

image.thumb.png.502058246697c2247d78b288b9b208fa.png

I was thinking new condo buildings in Toronto , I don't think they can access outside up there. I must remember to look the second Tuesday of next week when I go there 😏

those rich folks wouldn't permit it if there was a way to dry  clothes outside

Aura at College Park | Urban Toronto

16 hours ago, oleman said:

Yes, common to see clothes drying on high-rise housing all over the world except in the expensive areas.

I'll keep my electric dryer in lieu of an electric car.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, New Englander said:

Yes, common to see clothes drying on high-rise housing all over the world except in the expensive areas.

I'll keep my electric dryer in lieu of an electric car.

We continue to use the Maytag electric dryer that we purchased just before my Son was born in 1978. Old electro-mechanical timer is still working; motor, impeller, heater, and rollers have been replaced at least once over the years. Last repair was the impeller/fan... made of plastic and the center breaks out every 3 years. BUT first one lasted 20 years.

• Like 1

We hang the clothes out to dry year round. Have for 20+ years.

It works whether it's hot or cold but not during rain.

A neighbor works starting early in the morning. She hangs her laundry out the night before and it's dry when she gets home. Unless we have a surprise shower.

A German's view on EV's

"I heard a German joke (reported by a German): “If you get an electric vehicle, you may as well get a dog as well. That way you don’t have to walk home alone.”

It refers to the availability of charging stations."

Via a comment at WUWT

• Like 1
  • Haha 3