An Update on the EV Scene

Ian Beale

2 hours ago, supermpuller said:

the people trashing EV any one of you ever drove ,rode or test drive one or you just reading the net to get information?It kinda reminds me of a old bald man telling a 25 year lady what it feels like when she has a baby

Is the news article that was posted from Chicago inaccurate? I don’t have an EV to know from first hand experience. What range does your EV have when it’s -20? Do you have problems charging in those conditions?

8 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

That seems like a pretty fair assessment of the situation. People should definitely do their homework. I think a lot of people have bought these cars without realizing what their capabilities actually are. 

This sounds like a complete nightmare.... The guy just proved why ev's are still just a novelty for a majority of the country. 

• Like 1

They leave the charging station, then “We’re on our way to another charging station.” At some point during the day they may get a chance to run their intended errand.

On 1/17/2024 at 6:40 PM, supermpuller said:

the people trashing EV any one of you ever drove ,rode or test drive one or you just reading the net to get information?It kinda reminds me of a old bald man telling a 25 year lady what it feels like when she has a baby

Poor analogy. That’s like saying joe Biiden is doing a good job, and the wars , economy and gas prices are just something we read on the internet. Nobody has any right to criticize the president because they’ve never been president. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Binderoid said:

Poor analogy. That’s like saying joe Biiden is doing a good job, and the wars , economy and gas prices are just something we read on the internet. Nobody has any right to criticize the president because they’ve never been president. 

They/them is a troll don't pay attention to them. They thinks everything they hear on CNN is true! 

2 hours ago, Binderoid said:

I’m going to tell my wife to shut up. She has no right to have an opinion about what a man does since she’s never been one. I’ll let you know how it goes. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

DPF all she has to do is declare it and well that means you been sleeping with a dude for awhile🤣

Sheesh man get with the times!

All in jest buddy😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I’m going to tell my wife to shut up. She has no right to have an opinion about what a man does since she’s never been one. I’ll let you know how it goes. 

That would have been safer as "I'll let you imagine how it goes"

Like, last year when we were down at the Australian War Memorial and wandering through the WW1 Victoria Cross awards, a cousin said -

"Seems to get mentioned here you had to have a liking for charging machine gun nests"

Later 

In case you aren't familiar with the VC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Cross

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

She probably won’t shut up because of all the $$ you sunk in the 250C

• Like 1

I heard on the radio that the Ford F150 electric units are being halted in production and the people building them are going to the gas engine assembly line.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/12/11/f-150-lightning-ford-cuts-2024-production-plans-in-half.html#:~:text=Ford Motor will cut planned,and interest rates remain high.

• Like 1

The Chinese are adjusting their EV policy.

https://fortune.com/2024/01/19/china-electric-vehicles-government-forceful-measures-blind-construction-byd-tesla/amp/

Chinese EVs are available for $11,000. With shipping and tariffs it would be around $15,000 here in the US. 

That would get my attention.

It has the US and European automakers scared.

14 minutes ago, acem said:

The Chinese are adjusting their EV policy.

https://fortune.com/2024/01/19/china-electric-vehicles-government-forceful-measures-blind-construction-byd-tesla/amp/

Chinese EVs are available for $11,000. With shipping and tariffs it would be around $15,000 here in the US. 

That would get my attention.

It has the US and European automakers scared.

Not if it's government subsidized 

Been awhile since I read this whole thread but one thing evident here is once solar and wind approach 10-15% grid production the whole grid becomes unstable, green has created big operational challenges with previous reliable fossil fuel energy producers which provided the bulk of your electrical consumption. Those units are big and much more difficult to control with fluctuating production that current green provides, the buffer has been natural gas fired turbines that can come online to meet surges and shutdown quickly once that demand has disappeared, once green capacity exceeds your buffer you are basically screwed, power transfer and import is your last option. This became evident during our last cold snap, they shutdown the wind turbines at -35 to prevent damage, not that we have much wind traditionally during arctic highs and solar only produces power effectively during daylight which is about 8 hrs per day.

So if someone is really paying attention and the goal is to provide power at all times reliably the green grid should never be allowed to exceed the buffer generation capability at current loads, starting to sense EV's day in the sun is dwindling into the sunset.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have to put a motor in one as soon as it comes in. It still drove...kinda anyway. It had internal motor failure that resulted in high voltage circuit insulation failure. Part of the testing required driving the vehicle for at least 1 minute at a speed of at least 12.5 mph. Had to do that in the street so of course before my service writer (he was driving while I ran the test equipment) and I got back to the shop, it quit due to overheating of high voltage electronic components. There's no moving an EV that has a catastrophic failure except with a roll back tow truck. Motor is on back order with no ETA. Our cost about $8900. Will be free to customer with about 4 months warranty remaining. The car had to be hauled to our dealership from 300 miles away since I was the closest EV certified tech.

• Sad 1