An Update on the EV Scene

Ian Beale

1 hour ago, F-301066460puller said:

What I found says there is 3 whole windmills on Antarctica.... 

they must be HUGE!! They power the entire continent 

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, supermpuller said:

you just proved my point. wind mills can work in extremely cold conditions.

With special treatment.... there is 240 windmills in 1 wind farm in the county I live in. Start treating all those and see what happens. Waiting for you to show us some numbers.

19 minutes ago, F-301066460puller said:

With special treatment.... there is 240 windmills in 1 wind farm in the county I live in. Start treating all those and see what happens. Waiting for you to show us some numbers.

There more than three wind turbines in Antarctica, that’s relatively easy to find that info. 
If you’re referring to the Twin Groves wind farm with the 240 turbines do they shut down when it’s cold?  I drove past most of them every day for years and they’d be churning away even on bitter cold days. When it was really windy they’d shut them down regardless of temperature but I don’t remember seeing them shut off due to cold weather. 

13 minutes ago, MTB98 said:

There more than three wind turbines in Antarctica, that’s relatively easy to find that info. 
If you’re referring to the Twin Groves wind farm with the 240 turbines do they shut down when it’s cold?  I drove past most of them every day for years and they’d be churning away even on bitter cold days. When it was really windy they’d shut them down regardless of temperature but I don’t remember seeing them shut off due to cold weather. 

I'm up to 12 so far.... 9 look to be smaller ones... took me 5 seconds to find the 240 in twin groves. It doesn’t even get close to being as cold here as there. 

They also claimed that they are zero emissions which is proven to be false. 

Saw a Tesla car pulling a small airstream trailer down I40 yesterday. They were getting off at the only exit with a Tesla supercharger station for nearly 100 miles.

Coincidence?

• Like 2

-46 tonight, -51 forecast for tomorrow night, one thing I can tell you after living here for 60 years, when the arctic high drops down there is no wind and they usually last for weeks, can someone explain to me how great this alternative energy is going to work with windmills?

Ian already provided a link to the news on Thursday and Thursday actually had wind as it was blowing in

image.png.b21cc71b2ec77eb5d1619ddb847a2c41.png

Jan 11 (Reuters) - Rental firm Hertz Global Holdings (HTZ.O) is selling about 20,000 electric vehicles, including Teslas, from its U.S. fleet about two years after a deal with the automaker to offer its vehicles for rent, in another sign that EV demand has cooled.

Hertz will instead opt for gas-powered vehicles, it said on Thursday, citing higher expenses related to collision and damage for EVs even though it had aimed to convert 25% of its fleet to electric by 2024 end.

CEO Stephen Scherr had last year at the JPMorgan Auto Conference flagged headwinds from higher expenses for its EVs, particularly Teslas.

Hertz even limited the torque and speed on the EVs and offered it to experienced users on the platform to make them easier to adapt after certain users had front-end collisions, he said.

Shares of the company, which also operates vehicles from Swedish EV maker Polestar among others, fell about 4%. Tesla's (TSLA.O) stock was down about 3%.

Hertz also expects about $245 million in charges related to depreciation expenses from the EV sale in the fourth quarter of 2023.

On 1/12/2024 at 11:06 PM, Lazy WP said:

What is the cost to winterize them? Why don’t they do it here? 
I have seen as much oil to ground contamination from wind generation as I have petroleum production. 

Re oil consumption and wind farms -

Years ago someone who posted here delivered oil to a wind farm in SE Colorado -

A semi load of Mobil 1 a fortnight

• Like 1

FWIW

“Wind and solar grid penetration at 5% harmless, 10% nuisance, 15% expensive waste, 20% grid destabilization and economic destruction, 25% insanity (OK, with flexible hydro the insanity can be deferred to 30%).”

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2024/01/13/a-federal-power-grid-would-be-everyones-worst-nightmare/#comment-3847280

• Like 2

"Sitting in your EV at MINUS 45C

Saw a fellow sitting in his EV at a charging station. The businesses were still closed for him to stay warm and dawdle while his car charged.

I briefly spoke with him as he went into the store. He said he’s been sitting in the car running the heaters and it was taking about twice as long to charge. The car’s range was about 280km in the cold he said.

The fellow said his trip to Saskatoon from Kelowna takes about 3 times longer for charging time (sitting time).

His charges today were about $100 and two hours of sitting with heaters on and the battery was only 2/3 charged.

https://twitter.com/m_bohaichuk/status/1746213265976504391

The stupid is strong with EV owners."

https://joannenova.com.au/2024/01/sunday-39/#comment-2726559

• Like 1

Similar story on Calgary news today about a lady having to find chargers everyday in this cold snap and she didn't seem to be driving far

On 1/12/2024 at 9:18 PM, F-301066460puller said:

They also claimed that they are zero emissions which is proven to be false.

They are…. if you want to pretend that they dropped from the sky and stuck in the ground…

45 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

IMG_0382.png

IMG_0381.jpeg

The insanity of having to send out alerts like that while at the same time demands are being made that everyone have an EV are just lost on the “true believers”. You just need to have faith in the false prophet of Mother Earth for this to make sense. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

The insanity of having to send out alerts like that while at the same time demands are being made that everyone have an EV are just lost on the “true believers”. You just need to have faith in the false prophet of Mother Earth for this to make sense. 

If they want any of this to work they need to enough capacity to supply the grid 

So they need conventional power generation that can be turned on when the demand is needed, end of story.

This will need to be fuel powered   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

If they want any of this to work they need to enough capacity to supply grid 

So they need conventional power generation that can be turned on when the demand is needed, end of story.

This will need to be fuel powered   

Younger people will be lucky if they don’t live to see a total grid collapse. They are overloading it while not doing what is necessary to maintain it. They are forcing everyone to be totally dependent on it while also not protecting it. Are gas powered generators still legal in 50 states?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Younger people will be lucky if they don’t live to see a total grid collapse. They are overloading it while not doing what is necessary to maintain it. They are forcing everyone to be totally dependent on it while also not protecting it. Are gas powered generators still legal in 50 states?

You are exactly right.  Takes about 10 minutes of internet searching and a few minutes on a calculator to figure that out, plus a little recollection of what the general vibe is in the US regarding electrical power.  Dumb dumb dumb.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Farmall Doctor said:

IMG_0382.png

IMG_0381.jpeg

Consumers cut their consumption and rolling blackouts were avoided last night, AB received 153MW from neighboring Saskatchewan where their premier stated we are happy to help AB tonight, your power is coming from coal and gas fired generating stations which Trudeau wants up to shutdown which we won't 

• Like 5

The biggest problem that climate change created, John Kerry, is stepping down as Climate Czar.

Now maybe we can get a person more focused on solving the problem with out making hardships for the average person and creating  chaos   

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

The biggest problem that climate change created, John Kerry, is stepping down as Climate Czar.

Now maybe we can get a person more focused on solving the problem with out making hardships for the average person and creating  chaos   

Maybe we can get someone who actually gives a coitus about using resources wisely and call them an ‘Energy Secretary’  and sh!tcan the title of ‘Climate czar’.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

I really don't think that's their goal which is a big part of the problem 

• Like 1