1480 combine final drive swap advice

acem

The final drive on my 1480 is leaking so it's time to swap it out. I have a good one on my 1460 parts machine that should get me through the season.

Any advice on changing these out?

It doesn't look complicated but everything looks heavy!

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, acem said:

The final drive on my 1480 is leaking so it's time to swap it out. I have a good one on my 1460 parts machine that should get me through the season.

Thx-Ace 

I got some farmer advice one time. Jack up and block combine. The farmer then said he backed tractor with quick hitch on 3 pt chained it up and it worked great to remove old one and mount replacement.

30 minutes ago, acem said:

Thx-Ace 

Don't skimp on the blocking.  The old man grumped one time about me going out to buy a couple new 6 X 6's which I cut into blocking.  No way I was using the odd collection of wood which by that point in time had major splits, broken off sections, and rounded on a good portion of each "block."   The new blocks on level concrete were nice and square and an earthquake would not shake the combine off of them.  SAFETY FIRST!!!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, dale560 said:

I believe they interchange. But could be wrong

No they don't interchange.  If you swap them side to side you end up moving the combine higher or lower because the wheel shaft is offset to the bolt pattern.

It's buried somewhere in the 1480 operators manual.

Looked up the housing part number 86851C2 and its the same 60/80. I am positive the only difference between a 60 and 80 is the pinion/bull gear width. 1/4" if I recall. Checking with Abilene machine on their reman's there is no right or left. It should work fine. Block it good. 

The drain plug and the vent will switch places when you change sides.  I bought two longer mounting bolts and cut the heads off to use for guide pins. I welded a nut the same diameter as the mounting bolt so I could use a wrench to remove the guide pins and they still passed thru the axle flange holes. I was on concrete, so I used my portable engine hoist to lift and roll them into place. Be sure you have it safely blocked.

• Like 2

I was pretty sure they are not interchangeable, the drive shaft would not come out in the right spot if they were reversed. If you switch them from side to side i think the input shaft from the transmission will be on the wrong side of the axle. I won't swear by it because it's been a while but you should be able to tell by looking at it. 

Here is picture of final drive as stated before they will interchange just top is bottom and bottom is top. Learn something new. Every day never knew the 80s had wider gears. Actually a 80 series was a rare combine up here until mid 80s all the first final drive failure we saw were on 1460s they were the big unit here until mid  80s put a few sets of bearings in those.

E0A0EDE6-F907-444D-A8A0-2EAD6D014CC6.png

We tore down a number of 915's. The trans and final drives were the same as a 60. I had them sitting on pallets ready to go. Never asked the customer what side they were going on. 

Brings back memories. The 915 unload elbow works on axials if you drilled out the flange holes. The straw choppers would fit in a 60 in place of the discharge beater. Kind of a poor mans chopper as it turned slower. The lights were the same 3 terminal as the rear light for 06-66 series. And of coarse the engine was a good item. 

Funny how something old can be new again. I was going to mention this on the forum somewhere....maybe I'll just do it here.

If you look at a new Flagship 50 series combine or its yellow cousins since 2019, you will notice the transmission in them looks similar to the transmission used in a 21/23/25xx series Axial-Flow because it is based on the 21/23/25 series transmission. They even took one gear out of it....its just a 2-speed transmission on the newer CNH machines. 

Since the transmission for the 21/23/25xx series was based on the transmission used in a 14/16xx series transmission, and that transmission started out life in a 915....you could have a compelling argument that the transmission used on new CNH combines traces its history back to a 915 combine.

20231031_121802.jpg

20231031_122031.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SDman said:

Funny how something old can be new again. I was going to mention this on the forum somewhere....maybe I'll just do it here.

If you look at a new Flagship 50 series combine or its yellow cousins since 2019, you will notice the transmission in them looks similar to the transmission used in a 21/23/25xx series Axial-Flow because it is based on the 21/23/25 series transmission. They even took one gear out of it....its just a 2-speed transmission on the newer CNH machines. 

Since the transmission for the 21/23/25xx series was based on the transmission used in a 14/16xx series transmission, and that transmission started out life in a 915....you could have a compelling argument that the transmission used on new CNH combines traces its history back to a 915 combine.

20231031_121802.jpg

20231031_122031.jpg

We put a 915 trans or stripped the parts out of one to fix dads 1460 after he stuck it in gear and broke a gear. There is something you have to change either shift links are on other side or something not major

29 minutes ago, acem said:

Notice anything wrong???

Besides the drain being on the top and more drive couplers than you need?

More drive couplers.

We get to take it off and put it back on!

The drain plug on top is planned. I removed the vent from the top and replaced it with a plug before we flipped it over. When we are done it gets the vent put on top. This drive came from the right side of the other combine.

• Like 3