Forage Wagons

766 Man

I just wanted to see how many different brands I could name.  Also, it would be interesting to hear stories.  For each brand I would expect that there are farmers who believe that one was the best.

The majors : AC

Ford (Big Blue Wagon)

IH

JD

MF (before Badger)

Oliver (short lived)

The shortlines : Arts-Way

Badger

Calhoun

Cobey

Dion

Gehl

Kasten

Knight

Lamco

New Holland

New Idea

Papec

Rex

Schulz(sp)

I'm sure I missed others which were regionally made or marketed.

Miller Pro

Meyer

Meyer's

Farmhand

Gruetts

Huebner

Papec

Coby

Cherokee

Eis

Mike

• Like 1

We had 2 Calhoun self unloading forage boxes on Calhoun gears. Could run drag forward and unload out front into a silage blower or open the back and run the floor chain in reverse somehow.  One got rolled on a side hill and was banged up some later on. It ended up on another gear with tandem rear axles. It was nicer on that gear. Dad always said the running gears were a bit light for the boxes. They had extending tongues and as such were not too bad to hook up to. Later on we had a 3rd forage wagon. New holland I think on a new holland gear with tandem rear axles. It was the best of the 3 at the time.

Edit the more I think about it the more I think the last wagon was a gehl box at least. Might have been on a new holland gear? 

• Like 1

We had Knight 6-14.  Like 4 or 5.  Pretty simple and we used em!  They all were on various running gears.  Knowles [still got under a hay wagon now] which pulled real nice and still are in biz for parts.  Got a spindle and bearings last year from em.

Then Karstens were under most iirc.  HD and all tandems.  They are heavy but i dont know about parts.  You can figure/build 90% i bet anyways

• Like 1

Dad's first self unloading wagon was a Fox, about 1961. The carcass is still out in skid row. The next year, a new Allis wagon joined the Fox. We were in business! Later on, a New Holland #7 and then NH#8 joined the fleet. He also bought a 3 beater w/ roof Kasten that everyone learned to hate. Slow and flimsily built.

When I bought this farm, the Fox and Allis wagons followed me here. I added more used Allis wagons over the years that fed cows as well as filled silage bunks until they were too worn to continue using. Allis Chalmers boxes were the best built of all; the wood was attached to the sides with oversized rivets and washers. You never had to worry about the box losing its' shape. Allis just couldn't compete price-wise with the cheaper built wagons with nailed sides.

I got 2 NH #6 steel-sided wagons that had a slanted metal front with a raddle chain around it instead of beaters. #6 did the best job of mixing the silage and grain for the cows. I took the fronts off the wagons and one became a feed bin with a roof, and the other is still used as an extra kicker wagon. I have a JD Chuck wagon and a Calhoun very early model that I bought for the running gears. Anyone need Calhoun parts? There is also a Badger box up in the gravel pit.

My last wagon brand of choice was Dion for feeding cows. By then, I was using a dump wagon for chopping. Probably went through 8 or 10 of them. Parts off the Dions have kept a neighbor's Dion wagons going.

I never bought any of the wagons brand new. But they kept me in business for close to 40 years.

FoxchopperandAlliswagon.thumb.jpg.16a441d1370ef5f7fa7576c5d41f96c4.jpg

MZ966bunkOct1985.jpeg.f4eb57a41de8cf356be1566e07882f0d.jpeg

100_3111.thumb.JPG.7439e1649b899c430d2362c1f425c8aa.JPG

• Like 6

We always used Dion wagons. Never had much trouble with them and still a pile of them in use today around the area. 

• Like 4

A smattering of many brands around but JD easily was predominant in this area.  When JD stopped building forage wagons around 1991 Gehl then stepped up.  While Badger was being built they and NH were the next level down in terms of sales.  A few IH in my neighborhood with dad having two 61's and the farm around the corner having two 110's.  The most inexpensive was Lamco which was mentioned in the red tractor thread.  Built locally and no frills in terms of features.  The neighbor always kept theirs inside when not in use.  Papec was built 30 miles to the west of me but not many sold close by to me.  

24 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

A smattering of many brands around but JD easily was predominant in this area.  When JD stopped building forage wagons around 1991 Gehl then stepped up.  While Badger was being built they and NH were the next level down in terms of sales.  A few IH in my neighborhood with dad having two 61's and the farm around the corner having two 110's.  The most inexpensive was Lamco which was mentioned in the red tractor thread.  Built locally and no frills in terms of features.  The neighbor always kept theirs inside when not in use.  Papec was built 30 miles to the west of me but not many sold close by to me.  

Were there a lot of Papec forage harvesters & silage cutter/blowers in your area? Didn't see many harvesters around here, but there were quite a few of their silo fillers.

Mike

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

Were there a lot of Papec forage harvesters & silage cutter/blowers in your area? Didn't see many harvesters around here, but there were quite a few of their silo fillers.

Mike

Dad's father had a 1950's vintage 1 row field harvester.  It even had a PU head.  Always kept inside and looked good right until it was cut up for scrap around the mid-1970's.  A few of the newer yellow and black choppers around.  But that was it.  Had to go looking to find Papec equipment around.  I only saw 1 short hopper blower.  Grandpa always trended towards inexpensive equipment but I don't recall any complaints.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pt756 said:

Hello there. I am only about 4 miles from the Meyer factory and also H and S are about 25 miles away, now Hand S have been bought out by ox bo, 

H & S had two plants.  One in WI and one in NY in Chautuaqua County.  Maybe 1256 Pickett has seen it?

When I was in high school I worked for a IH dealer assembling new implements. Built many Arts-Way forage boxes. Hated them. Nothing lined up. Solid after it was put together tho. Usually put them on 10 ton Electric Wheel gears

• Like 1

When it comes to wagon gears I'm told that Wenger wheel makes one of the best today for heavy duty use 

• Like 1

Used a Cobey in my younger years. Guy I worked for at the time said Cobey should’ve stopped making them after the first one. Junk. 
JD and Badger were pretty dominant in the area. Then H&S and Meyers kind of took over. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, farmall666 said:

HUBER  MADE IN WISC SAME WITH KASTEN AND H & S

I believe you meant Huebner?

We ran these for decades. Crude but a sledgehammer mechanic couldn't kill em. They used a welded Chrysler rear end for the 90 deg gearbox.

steiner19.jpg.dcf040cf82fcad7ee04650ca4a30f89f.jpg

IMG_20230315_1610502662.thumb.jpg.dfaad0b22d03c8bf836ab9b600e26210.jpg

• Like 2