Old stories from growing up

Alan Dinan

Anybody else have fights with Needle and Thread Grass?

You go flying by someone horseback and fling these at them

They would penetrate skin and guarantee that a chase would ensue. 

(hope you got the fastest horse)😄

image.png.299e52b4f10b067d92f38ef045be9e11.png

image.png.b0cf7c0a0be7dc8168805b4dda829028.png

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Oh my goodness. That sounds awful. I've never heard of that

• Like 1

Getting stuck 

I remember riding on the fender of a White 2-155 with dad following 2 1460 combines cutting wheat. That tractor had fenders and a 2 post canopy. Have never seen another one since. Both combines had 4wd and tall front tires. The ground in the area when wet was miserable to get through. Had to have the taller narrow tires and 4wd. This farm was about 90 miles away from our home farm. I guess that was the wheat harvest of 81. He had a 1000bu. Kinze cart, had to pull it with the 4586 to get it to the trucks, then unhook it and hook it to the 2-155 to unload it. He had a 4-150 also but the PTO was shot in it. He bought a farm and equipment came with it. 

• Like 3

On 11/1/2023 at 2:55 PM, sandhiller said:

Pretty sure we don't have that here, probably for the better, 😂

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 2:55 PM, sandhiller said:

Needle and Thread, or sandburrs before they matured enough to drop the burrs. Thrown right into the middle of a back!! I always had the fastest horse that wasn’t afraid to run into any of the other horses. 
We always rode bareback, and the challenge was to see who could drag someone else off their horse at a dead run. I think all 4 of us kids went through at least 1 barbwire gate horseback. 

• Like 3

On 11/1/2023 at 4:06 PM, KWRB said:

Oh my goodness. That sounds awful. I've never heard of that

No, no, not awful at all

Just kids being kids having fun

Beats the h3ll out of sitting in front of an x box with a lap full of donuts

🤠

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I was a very smart child.  So smart that when I was about two years old (I have a very faint recollection of this) I figured out that a pair of tweezers looked like they'd line right up with those two little slots in the wall,  And they did.

It was a fine surprise for Mom and I.  I think the only damage was a scorched wall and a blown fuse.

• Like 1

When I was around the age of 3-4 our elderly neighbors each had a cat. We named the tom Frank after him and the female Mary after her. Frank the cat was a mean ole creature who would kill our baby kittens.

My mom had an old frying pan for feeding table scraps to our barn cats just outside the door and under a weeping willow where the shade prevented grass from growing. That was my sand box. One day when Mom fed the cats Frank tore through in a whirl of flying fur scattering all our cats. Mom gave the signal and Pa stepped out the door with the 20 gauge... No more Frank...

Later that day while Mom and Dad were out doing farming things and Frank was...well...gone. , I was playing in my sand box. A car pulled in and a gentleman stepped out. He fetched his briefcase, straightened his suit coat and fedora and strolled over to me. "Is your Mamma or Daddy around?" I promptly stood up and pointed to the blood puddle at the door and blurted out "That's where my daddy shot Frank this morning!"

He quickly tipped his hat, said "Whelp...buh-bye then", and trotted back to his car and spun gravel clear to the black top road. Never did come back to say what he was selling...🤔

• Haha 11

3 hours ago, Steve C. said:

I was a very smart child.  So smart that when I was about two years old (I have a very faint recollection of this) I figured out that a pair of tweezers looked like they'd line right up with those two little slots in the wall,  And they did.

It was a fine surprise for Mom and I.  I think the only damage was a scorched wall and a blown fuse.

Reminds me of how observant I was as a child, and I guess when it became apparent I might be mechanically inclined. I would've been 3, or maybe 2 at the time. Dad had a trike, kawasaki maybe? I don't know, too young to remember lol. Anyway I guess, like normal, I was in the garage with him when he changed oil on it one morning before going baling. Well that evening, or maybe the next, the cows got out by home. So he jumped on the trike and took off. Didn't even make it out to them and seized it solid. I guess when he got to checking it out, there was no oil in it, and no drain plug. Apparently I watched dad change oil in it and wanted to be just like him, except I missed a critical part in the oil change part. 😂

I really dont know if i believe it, but he says the plug was laying on the ground and a puddle of clean oil was there. I still say to this day either I was a really strong 3 yr old or he didn't tighten that thing very good lol 😂

• Haha 2

I remember getting this playset for Christmas......just a few years older than the ones posted earlier....

Brand new just released 3588 2+2's in 1/16 scale for Christmas was a big deal!

Screenshot_20231106-234158_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

A story about my Great Grandfather told of a time he was in a silo and a rat ran up his pant leg and then down the other, it was a scary/intense experience.  After that it's said that he would take measures like tying baler twine around his ankles before going into a bin or silo. 

He lived 1900-1984 and I was born in 1985, so I have only heard stories, they say he was a humble, hard working man, not caring for recognition or fame for a good deed.  There is a story of a time when he was delivering grain or logs to a local mill by horse and wagon, in 1946, he let someone go ahead of him or was late for some reason, or he unloaded and visited with someone.  By the time he reached the main road the mill was on fire and the old horse drawn fie wagon was dispatched from the nearby bigger town, he drew it to the mill as it was his duty in the situation.  The local newspaper gratified him and I'm not sure if he said to the paper or publicly or just to friends that if only he had been a few minutes earlier that he would have been back home at work, not that he was unwilling to help but that he was no hero, if he left 10 minutes earlier he would have been just another guy

One of the coolest stories about my Great Grandfather Lowry is the ice cutting business, the first car he bought was a model T that they dismantled and reassembled onto a sleigh frame, drawn by horse, with a 3-4 foot circular blade for cutting ice, they would draw it from my house into town to cut ice, I'm not sure of the year that started, the pictures of it must be from the late 40s given the age of my Gramps in the pics.  Don't take my account as totally accurate but it is the story as I remember it.  I think it is so cool that they tore apart their first car for cutting ice years before they had a car to drive. 

My Great Grandfather had 6 sons, so he had a labour crew and some young minds to keep focused, maybe that helped culture his modesty, honesty and work ethic, you'd have to be on your toes keeping 6 boys in line.  Maybe I'm too entrenched in modern pop culture and overly nostalgic but I feel a need to reference "A boy named Sue" my Great Grandfather predated that song by years, he went by Hollie Lowry, his given name was David Hollie Lowry, his trucks read D.H. Lowry on the door.  It's total speculation but maybe that name gave him some of the grit he had, or he embraced it when it came into criticism because of the grit he had.

Cleaning-Snow-Before-Ice-Cutting.thumb.jpg.d120273e46d9fd2296bbddf45eb0437b.jpgice2.thumb.jpg.9afdad1d51090e1b5ae7650abab96688.jpgice3.thumb.jpg.b482437a93f6c0b27aa01f195c99735f.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, hardtail said:

Did the same with a paper clip, there was still the burnt hardwood flooring in the house under the carpet

And I did the same with a key!