Old stories from growing up

Alan Dinan

My grandpa told me the story of when he was very little he and his older brother were riding in the wagon pulled by horses and his parents were picking corn by hand.  He said it was cold out and she tossed ear into the wagon and hit him square in the head.  He said I cried like **** cause it hurt!  Of course she felt horrible and comforted him and started picking again.  He said I no sooner got done crying she did it again!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pete1468 said:

My grandpa told me the story of when he was very little he and his older brother were riding in the wagon pulled by horses and his parents were picking corn by hand.  He said it was cold out and she tossed ear into the wagon and hit him square in the head.  He said I cried like **** cause it hurt!  Of course she felt horrible and comforted him and started picking again.  He said I no sooner got done crying she did it again!

I remember riding in the Roorda wagons when my dad picked corn yet.  Stand in one corner so as not to get hit by ears coming off the elevator.  Keep moving so the ears wouldn’t pile up around me.  Would have been the Super MTA with a 2MH picker on it.  Helped unload ear corn too during the 2MH era, but it was more during the 234 era that I would haul and unload on my own.  Always hated popping the rear gate on those Roorda boxes.  Kinda wish I could pick ear corn again.  My dad’s dad really like picking corn.  That was his biggest harvest thrill.  

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Pete1468 said:

My dad told the story about him being around 6 and grandpa had just loaded a flatbed wagon with loose hay. Grandpa sent dad back to the house with the horses and wagon, something spooked the horses and they ran through a split rail fence, didn’t turn the wagon over, but lost half of the load. He said that grandpa laid into him for letting the horses get away from him. Dad was happy when the first tractor came to the farm.

Grandpa kept the horses for several years after the Fordson came to the farm. Dad and my aunt, his little sister. went for a ride and again something spooked the horse. It ran all the way back to the stall in the barn, low opening, dad jumped off and my aunt was knocked off when she made contact with the header. He quit dealing with the horses after that. He got his but chewed again!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete1468 said:

Last winter I was in the shop. My wife and 5 year old son were behind there having a snowball fight.  A few moments later I hear my son screaming bloody murder and him pounding on the sliding door. I assumed he was being over dramatic like he sometimes can be so I took my time opening up the door. I slid open the door to see half his face covered in blood all the way down his jacket, snow pants, boots a pool of blood where he was standing and a trail like a wounded deer around the shop and my wife running behind him. We sat him down and got him cleaned up. With a bag of shop rags and hand cleaner I had. His nose wasn't busted but sure bled a lot. Apparently my wife's snow ball had some ice in it, she was closer to him and threw harder than expected. I beleive he had got a big sundae for supper and got to pick out a toy somewhere after that episode.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, acem said:

I remember a girl in my first grade class took all her clothes off and ran around the playground.

She got in trouble but not much. 

Probably wouldn't have gotten in as much trouble if it had been recess!

In first grade a girl sat next to me and peed her dress. She exclaimed what was that rolling down the legs of her chair. I thought she was cute but after that my mind changed9

5 minutes ago, edwardporter1 said:

In first grade a girl sat next to me and peed her dress. She exclaimed what was that rolling down the legs of her chair. I thought she was cute but after that my mind changed9

🤣 2 years ago at a trauma center I over flowed 2 bed pans and " destroyed the bed sheets"  it was like dumping a 5 gal milk shake into a Rubbermaid container. My doctors and nurses told me it was awsome I finally went #2 after 3 days..........I often wonder what they actually said after they closed the door from the 2nd clean up.......

4 hours ago, cedar farm said:

My brothers and I would have dirt clod fights out in the field. Those buggers would hurt. I knew how a condemned Israelite felt in the Bible.

You think that's rough, try a green cotton boll! Me and little brother used to toss em back and forth until the old man caught us.

I also can remember carrying buckets of milk 200 yards down the hill to the spring house, then back up the hill when mom wanted some for the house. It was really fun in the summer, because the milk would be half soured by the time I got back up the hill. But we drank it anyway; I sure don't miss milking cows! 

Mac

• Like 2

My Honda trail 70 and I kept the farm secure by touring the perimeter on a regular basis. 

Lotsa mowing and raking hay as well as walking beans every summer. 

One time dad had an older neighbor running tractor for us in the spring. Somehow he lost his wallet. We got 4 or 5 people together and walked the field similar to walking beans. We did eventually find it out in a field somewhere. 

• Like 2

Not in the jewels but so did I it was called 500cc motocross, used to take half crazed men to participate and the only person that was safe was the leader until they started running into back markers

13 hours ago, MacAR said:

You think that's rough, try a green cotton boll!

Been there done that!!  A cousin from OKC and his mom (Dad's sister) came out for a few days during Thanksgiving. At first we just played catch with the cotton bolls but then it escalated into all out combat. l thought l had won till we got back to the house and Dad found out about it. Turned out me and my cousin both lost that battle...lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Until my early teenage yrs we raised beef cattle. Dad had a line on getting expired Brach's bulk candy to augment the feed when finishing the steers out. He'd bring home 2-3 pallets of the stuff. We've all heard the line kid in a candy store... but wow, being a 6 yr old sitting on 2 full tons of candy filled boxes! I ate a lifetime's worth of those soft sugar coated orange & lemon wedges!

So of course, we always had a freezer full of beef. My grandparents had hogs so there was no shortage of good pork either. Ma raised a big garden and canned all our vegetables for when fresh wasn't available. Dad insisted on having full dinner meals every day. Roast beef & mashed potatoes, steaks... to think there was a day that I complained about having to eat steak again! And a cheap frozen pizza was a treat.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Cattech said:

Until my early teenage yrs we raised beef cattle. Dad had a line on getting expired Brach's bulk candy to augment the feed when finishing the steers out. He'd bring home 2-3 pallets of the stuff. We've all heard the line kid in a candy store... but wow, being a 6 yr old sitting on 2 full tons of candy filled boxes! I ate a lifetime's worth of those soft sugar coated orange & lemon wedges!

So of course, we always had a freezer full of beef. My grandparents had hogs so there was no shortage of good pork either. Ma raised a big garden and canned all our vegetables for when fresh wasn't available. Dad insisted on having full dinner meals every day. Roast beef & mashed potatoes, steaks... to think there was a day that I complained about having to eat steak again! And a cheap frozen pizza was a treat.

Same here, no hogs though. Big garden, mom canned everything, and when tomatoes started getting ripe, sit in the garden with a salt shaker and eat tomatoes fresh off the plant. Dad planted a 2 acre sweet corn patch every year and 4 rows of potatoes along the edge of the sweet corn. We would freeze about 50-60 dozen ears of corn and sell the rest. That paid for our school clothes every year. We would pick up pecans every year too. Three or four farms had pecan trees and they helped pay for school clothes and supplies, too.

• Like 1

Dad tells a story of back when he was a kid and they survived on mix farming, they put up loose hay in stacks and the pigs would burrow into the bottom of the stack and it be their home against the cold winter, his brother was up on the hay stack and suddenly disappeared only to have hogs shooting out of every hole they had burrowed into at the base

Another of dad's stories was a neighbor that had found a bear den in the winter and coaxed his son to jump up and down on the top to flush the bear out as he was waiting to shoot it, you guessed it the kid broke through and disappeared into the den, few tense moments for dad on what seemed like a great plan initially 

I seem to have a disappearing theme going here, wish the last 3 years would

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Turned out me and my cousin both lost that battle...lol

You too huh? 

But, that was no comparison to the @ss whipping my ag teacher gave our entire class (18 kids) for throwing strawberries at each other when we were supposed to be picking them. That's how we raised money for our class trips and thing; the school had a great big garden (truck patch, more like) and we sold produce. The old man wasn't too happy with us that day! 

@hardtail's story reminds me of something I did to my little brother when he was about 7 or 8. He'd been watching Superman cartoons and wanted to fly, so he got the bright idea to get the big umbrella off the patio and jump off things. And, surprisingly it worked. He then decided to try jumping out of the loft.. and promptly chickened out. So I tossed him, umbrella and all, out the door and I'll be d@mned if he didn't float down as pretty as you please! So he deigned to tempt fate again, and I again pitched him out the door, but that time the umbrella folded up and he hit in the lot like a ton of bricks. Thousand wonders it didn't break any bones, but you would know the old man picked that exact time to come home from work! As you might surmise, he was not pleased, and I got little brother's chores for a couple days on top of my own, on top of a good whipping. 

Mac

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

19 hours ago, hardtail said:

It's a fine line from Mary Poppins to Wylie Coyote

Looking back, I feel like if he'd had an ACME umbrella instead of the Wal-Mart special he was using it might've turned out better for both of us. Then again, given ol' Wylie's luck with ACME products it might not have!

Mac

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Similar, I used to love Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. My favorite was Donatello, who had a bo staff. (Big long stick) I had an old tool handle of some kind that my dad had given me, that I put duct tape on, to look like Donatello's.

One day I decided to use it like he did in the cartoon, holding it with two hands, one on either side of a rope between my tree fort and a nearby tree, kind of like a zip line.

Well, cartoons are cartoons, and the real world has force balance to deal with. The moment I stepped out of the tree fort, it slipped to one side, pinched my hand between it and the rope, and I fell to the ground. I wasn't an only child, but only having two older sisters, I played alone. I lied on the ground for a while as I remember it, wondering if I was going to be able to get up.

But here we are years later, and it makes a great story!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, KWRB said:

Similar, I used to love Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. My favorite was Donatello, who had a bo staff. (Big long stick) I had an old tool handle of some kind that my dad had given me, that I put duct tape on, to look like Donatello's.

One day I decided to use it like he did in the cartoon, holding it with two hands, one on either side of a rope between my tree fort and a nearby tree, kind of like a zip line.

Well, cartoons are cartoons, and the real world has force balance to deal with. The moment I stepped out of the tree fort, it slipped to one side, pinched my hand between it and the rope, and I fell to the ground. I wasn't an only child, but only having two older sisters, I played alone. I lied on the ground for a while as I remember it, wondering if I was going to be able to get up.

But here we are years later, and it makes a great story!

Same friend I stabbed in the hand, got in trouble for lighting their carpet on fire after watching Bart do it on the Simpson’s.

• Haha 5

On 10/30/2023 at 10:45 AM, twostepn2001 said:

Been there done that!!  A cousin from OKC and his mom (Dad's sister) came out for a few days during Thanksgiving. At first we just played catch with the cotton bolls but then it escalated into all out combat. l thought l had won till we got back to the house and Dad found out about it. Turned out me and my cousin both lost that battle...lol

WHATS GREEN COTTON BALL ?

I remember dirt clod fights in the fields with my brother and sister, and then it spread to becoming popular with our childhood friends and neighbor kids.

And then we graduated to also including bottle rocket wars when we became a bit older.

Everyone involved took some good hits at one time or another. It’s a wonder we didn’t lose an eye, or mame or kill ourselves. 

• Like 1