345 vs 392 pulling power in 10 wheeler

acem

16 hours ago, New Englander said:

I believe it's pretty much like this, the ones I'm more familiar with and probably could be substituted if you can't find the exact replacement if you need it:

That's a good video but it doesn't exactly explain how the extra vacuum booster and master cylinder work. 

Here's another video with tips on hydrovac installation.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, acem said:

Put a bid in on this loadstar.

Can you tell why?

I compromised, it's in Nebraska but appears to be rust free.

image.png.903311c4119be3963a07ed79f60a5599.png

Nice looking truck 

11 minutes ago, acem said:

Yes but there's something special about this one. There's a clue in the pic above.

Here's another clue.

image.png.ca58d076a3328ed7046efd145bf8798d.png

It's a pop quiz!

That first picture have a Diesel badge on the hood?

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 3:42 AM, dale560 said:

never seen the real old ones but later on Mack had a 2-stick transmission. the one stick shifted the five-speed main case, the other stick shifted the auxiliary case of trans. i think second stick was lo high and reverse on a Mack. could have been a trans like this then a second auxiliary (brownie box) behind that for the other stick. Most early brownies were three speed, Low, Direct and overdrive. So if it was a five speed with two speed range that is 10 speeds with a auxiliary trans (3 speed) that would be 30 gears available.  

That sounds right about the twin stick Mack’s. The ones I was around were in concrete trucks and a few others got morphed into other uses, like sewer pumping . Had a smaller offset cab, huge air filter, and were tougher than anything.

I always thought they were a good truck for inexperienced drivers, ours always went into gear, they were very forgiving, and just worked without breaking down.  But that’s been over twenty years ago, and they were old then. To bad they ride like the brick $hithouse they were built like 

• Like 1

It’s a DT 466 Loadstar, the doghouse is the dead give away, ok to me it is because I drove one at the moving company many years ago. Good luck in getting it bought, looks like it’s in awesome shape and the most desirable variant of the Loadstar.

• Like 2

However it's not the perfect unicorn.

It has juice brakes.

I'm bidding pretty hard but my pockets aren't deep enough I'm sure. I expect it to bring over $7000 and I can't spend anywhere near that much.

image.png.90af0d1a72fc0fe9a953e4e2b4c62bbb.png

It's over $2000 with 3 days and 19 hours left.

I'm going to play STUPID here, like I know absolutely NOTHING about trucks despite being around them and driving them most of my adult life, but WHY oh Why would somebody order juice brakes on a 10 wheeler with a diesel engine, BTW, DT466 is a great choice. I'd have gone for a 10 speed Road-Ranger, maybe more.  I drove 10-wheeler readymix truck 2 years, summer between my Junior & Senior year and summer after I graduated. First year drove a '74 Diamond Reo, 555 Cummins, 208 hp, Allison 5-speed with 3-speed  brownie  aux, truck slow as molasses loaded to 50,000+#. Second year drove a '66 White Mustang, 165 Cum-a-part, 5×4 Trans, Spicer I think, all with air brakes, it's not safe having juice brakes on a truck that heavy!

Something with a Detroit 6V-92 TTA and at LEAST a 9 speed, or maybe 13 speed would be better up to the task, those Detroits at the company I drove over-the road were all set to 307 hp, they scooted down the roads every bit as good as my 320 hp 903 Cummins on about 2/3rds the fuel, but carry several gallon jugs of oil with you.

Small gas engines are deceptive. I hauled in potatoes for my buddy one summer, 3 identical or reasonably similar trucks, 1967 C60 with 292-6  and 5x2 Trans, plenty of grunt for slogging along loading, ran fast enough up thru the gears. A  74 C65 with 350 V-8 5+2, ran the fastest empty or loaded, plenty of power, uses the most gas, just don't let it lug down much. Last was a 196? N750 FORD with a 6V53 Detroit and 5+2 Trans, you were pretty much stuck loading in 2nd gear, low side of axle, rpm's drop too much, it bogs, governor won't let it rev, was the truck most likely to be left in the yard after we started picking taters. It was the truck I was driving when the left frt tire blew out, I stiffened my arms, pushing me back in the seat, slowed to a crawl and eased into the ditch, I was empty, approaching a sharp turn. Only blow-out I've ever had. I'm not sure how I got back to the farm, maybe turned around and ran it home flat the 1+ miles.  The Chevy with the 292 was the best in my opinion, the gas V8 lugged, R-P-M'd and burned the most gas.

The BIG 6 reputation doesn't live up to all the hype it gets, yes they lug down, don't make much Horsepower.  The last LoadStar binder I drove had a gas 478 Cid V8, and the cutest little Holley 2 BBL carb, would have fed a 183 cid V6, but totally lacking Enough flow for 478 Cid.

The one driving job I had was delivering paper, 40# boxes of paper, their one truck was I THINK a C40 Chevy, 305 V8 and SM-420 4 spd, till somebody, not Me, over-reved it.

I somewhat agree.

Hydraulic brakes seem like a good fit on gas engine medium duty trucks. Built in vacuum pump, engine braking is good, simple system.

Diesel engines require a vacuum pump (until they started using the power steering hydraulic boost) and have little engine braking.

Probably the main reasons for hydraulic brakes are lower cost and less driver training required. 

I'm personally ok with hydraulic brakes on medium duty straight trucks with gas engines. I prefer air brakes on diesels and trailers. I despise electric brakes.

Of course I know people grossing 30,000 lbs with one ton trucks and gooseneck trailers. That's hydraulic/electric brakes...

Just my opinion.

Didn't get her bought. 

She brought $5,150 plus 5% buyers premium ($258) and it was a long Way off. Would have cost me over $500 in fuel, motel rooms, etc to get her home, assuming nothing broke down. 

Outa my budget for a 10 wheeler this year...

My friend's gas burner is looking better all the time...

1 hour ago, acem said:

Didn't get her bought. 

She brought $5,150 plus 5% buyers premium ($258) and it was a long Way off. Would have cost me close to over $500 in fuel, motel rooms, etc to get her home, assuming nothing broke down. 

Outa my budget for a 10 wheeler this year...

My friend's gas burner is looking better all the time...

HOLY COW THATS CHEAP!!!!

if I'd had seen the auction bill I'd have bought it and dropped my gasser truck in a hot minute. 

I bought my friends 10 wheeler. It's the one with a 345? And way to long (24'?) Bed.

It's been sitting for a few years so I will probably have to put in points, clean out the old fuel and carburetor then mess with the brakes. He has an open shop area I can use. 

It'll be some time after the first of the year before I get to it 

Price, location and all was right.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...