Jump to content

345 vs 392 pulling power in 10 wheeler


acem

Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, New Englander said:

 

Could well have been  a Mack as I believe my sister has a picture taken in the '40s of my dad next to his truck. I'll have to get a look at it and see if there's enough showing to identify it. He's wearing his uniform complete with tie, apparently you has to dress properly back in the day.

3 stick pattern on a Mack.

IMG_1519.png.1d7e6bc18e9cbe00edf768a84a6c5700.png

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

If a guy would want to give a truck some long legs?

I saw in the Alice Springs local paper years ago that there had been a speed blitz on the Stuart Highway and they got one truck at 197 km/hour (about 120 mph)

No details given on "who, what or how"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

3 stick pattern on a Mack.

IMG_1519.png.1d7e6bc18e9cbe00edf768a84a6c5700.png

I remember him working those sticks like crazy on the hills. It could well have been a Mack. He's been gone over 50 years ago, died during my senior year HS. I would have like to have known him as an adult. My oldest sister, 8 years my senior, got to know him better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/4/2023 at 6:13 AM, Lazy WP said:

First decent sized truck I drove was an old IH with a 545? Gas engine. Twin sticks. 5 speed main box, 3 speed “Brownie” box. The 3 speed had a deep reduction, so it was basically a 2 speed. 
I have heard that some of them had a 2 speed rearend also. 
More modern trucks run a 6X4, 5X4 and 4X4 transmission. 

It was probably newer than this one

195? 220 with 549 gas and a 5 x 3sp Brownie

IMG_20190112_125138397.jpg.d83a1beb0d7c552ff83262d7baec53b4.jpg

 

You are right on how the Brownie shifted

The third lever down low in front of the seat is a cable operated power divider

220int.jpg.c2c68f55e8123258ffd77bf542ce4ade.jpg

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

It was probably newer than this one

195? 220 with 549 gas and a 5 x 3sp Brownie

IMG_20190112_125138397.jpg.d83a1beb0d7c552ff83262d7baec53b4.jpg

 

You are right on how the Brownie shifted

The third lever down low in front of the seat is a cable operated power divider

220int.jpg.c2c68f55e8123258ffd77bf542ce4ade.jpg

 

I would say probably very similar in age. Yours looks like it has a longer wheelbase. Dad had a 24 foot box installed on his, without moving the drivers   I could do wheelies anytime even empty. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's a few pics of the loadstar I may buy from my friend.

SV engine, 5+2, gallon twin hoist, 24? ft bed (too long), 4x,xxx miles (very tight cab), no rust. Walking beam suspension with non driving tag axle. It's been sitting a few years so it'll need points and carburetor work.

Tailgate is weak. Steel bed has diamond plate floor, not sure how well that will work. Bed is actually too long, 20 ft would be ideal. Reinforced frame

Has an aftermarket extra brake booster with it's own master cylinder. I've seen them before and the owners always said they worked great.

Anybody know what booster this is?

I can't find it in my parts books. 

@dale560 didn't you install tandems under trucks back in the day.

This truck was originally set up to haul fruit and vegetables to the local cannery.

PXL_20231204_182944132.jpg

PXL_20231204_181629208.jpg

PXL_20231204_181622644.jpg

PXL_20231204_182029877.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, acem said:

Here's a few pics of the loadstar I may buy from my friend.

SV engine, 5+2, gallon twin hoist, 24? ft bed (too long), 4x,xxx miles (very tight cab), no rust. Walking beam suspension with non driving tag axle. It's been sitting a few years so it'll need points and carburetor work.

Tailgate is weak. Steel bed has diamond plate floor, not sure how well that will work. Bed is actually too long, 20 ft would be ideal. Reinforced frame

Has an aftermarket extra brake booster with it's own master cylinder. I've seen them before and the owners always said they worked great.

Anybody know what booster this is?

I can't find it in my parts books. 

@dale560 didn't you install tandems under trucks back in the day.

This truck was originally set up to haul fruit and vegetables to the local cannery.

PXL_20231204_182944132.jpg

PXL_20231204_181629208.jpg

PXL_20231204_181622644.jpg

PXL_20231204_182029877.jpg

There was a more modern  vacuum master cylinder made that later trucks used. I have seen that offset lever operated one though many times. The newer ones vacuum chamber is on end like a booster and no outside linkage. The funny thing is you mention and I have seen this a lot. Is the Hendrickson suspension tag. That usually means truck came from factory with non lift tag. But I know of no factory tag trucks with the vacuum operated tag master. Any  factory juice brake two axle of any make has had just a bigger master cylinder running all axle brakes. The vacuum master was a truck upfit thing. I would guess this truck and any I have seen with brakes like it and Hendrickson susp. We’re cutoff of other trucks and swapped sometime. 
Ace your bringing 1989, 90 and later back in my brain. My truck sales buddy had just moved off farm and started selling those type trucks. I know once a week I replaced those master cylinders or brake wheel cylinders or unstuck adjusters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, dale560 said:

There was a more modern  vacuum master cylinder made that later trucks used. I have seen that offset lever operated one though many times. The newer ones vacuum chamber is on end like a booster and no outside linkage. The funny thing is you mention and I have seen this a lot. Is the Hendrickson suspension tag. That usually means truck came from factory with non lift tag. But I know of no factory tag trucks with the vacuum operated tag master. Any  factory juice brake two axle of any make has had just a bigger master cylinder running all axle brakes. The vacuum master was a truck upfit thing. I would guess this truck and any I have seen with brakes like it and Hendrickson susp. We’re cutoff of other trucks and swapped sometime. 
Ace your bringing 1989, 90 and later back in my brain. My truck sales buddy had just moved off farm and started selling those type trucks. I know once a week I replaced those master cylinders or brake wheel cylinders or unstuck adjusters.

You mean lone like this?

image.png.87d7e56d246afcdd1f5034fe6304cab2.png

If I could get a name, part numbers, etc I would appreciate it. If I work out a deal on the truck I may need parts someday.

The truck was originally a single axle and the tandem added later. It came with a 205 inch wheel base so they didn't have to extend the frame. They did reinforce the frame. It looks like it was done early in its life and done properly. 

It's a 76 model 

PXL_20231204_182046944.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Diamond plate floor works ok. Our F750 had diamond plate floor and we dumped silage mainly. Higher moisture grain would be more an issue but if dry it would dump ok 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, acem said:

Also.

Can anyone explain how these extra master cylinders work?

Something it must use the same vacuum as the hydro boost. I can't get my head around how they maintain the same pressure in both systems.

I forget exactly some use a check or synchro valve of main booster vacuum, but I swear some used a t in brake line to trigger slave master cylinder to operate. It has been 20 years now since I messed with those tag axle stuff so am a bit rusty on specifics

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fill that box with wheat and you will need help getting it to move, you'd need an auxillary with a deep underdrive.

DWF

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ihrondiesel said:

@dale560 I’ve always heard it’s not a good idea to shift a RoadRanger while moving in reverse. Can you explain that?  High reverse in a 13 or 18 spd is pretty useless unless you’re bobtailing, it takes so much to get moving. 

the aux case synchro hub is turning backwards in reverse. they are made to work forwards better. Anyways it will wear the hub teeth crooked and it acts like a ramp eventually forcing it out of gear when power is applied in reverse. Have fixed a couple of ex municipal dump trucks that were shifted repeatedly in reverse. eventually they loose reverse. you dont have to take entire trans apart just the auxiliary case and fix it. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On those transmissions reverse gear is in the main five speed case with the other speeds. The auxiliary synchro and speeds are in rear case. It just wears the synchro wrong so it pops out and won’t turn aux section. Here are pics of aux case I talk about. On the older trans it is easy to pop them down with main trans still in truck. Some of the late 90s and newer the operating pistons are in main housing so it is better to pull transmission entirely. The parts photo shows the springs and synchro assy. It is made to go forwards better than backwards.

3D932D8C-4202-40CD-A91C-A3F7E49BF33C.png

E35755E0-B0C6-41CA-BC2C-BC7A7FC89C47.png

AB003DE5-2749-4DDF-B066-38E4C1AA720D.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Gearclash said:

What about using “low gear” in high range?  This would be in 13 speed or I suppose 9 speed too?  Kinda handy to use “Indian hole” to turn road corners hauling silage. 

I used it on the old Ford we had. Lots of people used to say it would wear transmission but I don’t know. There is really nothing different  of low or 1st gear spot in high range or if you were actual 1st gear in low range. A lot of the old transmissions the ratio was the same between 5 and 6 so if rolling down hill you could over speed engine if truck picked up speed in neutral.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1972 AM General that has a five speed like below. 

When you come out of reverse, you have to go into first, a collar has to slide or something 

If you shift to any other gear, it will break something in the trans. 

I got in the habit anytime I backed it in to park it, I shifted up into first before I shut it down. I wasn't the only one to drive it and I didn't want someone else to make that mistake. 

 

image.png.b1aaafca06d07a0d29859ac65762fb96.png

A picture of it when we picked it up

5t6x6_1036.jpg.e200870876d2244e8db77f078f3110ae.jpg

And after we finished the build

IMG_0782.jpg.67e681af82a8e454daaa7fe180a4bab5.jpg

We still have it in service by the way

It is not the first out of the barn since we have 3 newer ones but it will still answer if called upon. 

A testament to how well these old girls were built. 

It has had a very tough life and never once let us down on a fire. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

1972 AM General that has a five speed like below. 

When you come out of reverse, you have to go into first, a collar has to slide or something 

If you shift to any other gear, it will break something in the trans. 

I got in the habit anytime I backed it in to park it, I shifted up into first before I shut it down. I wasn't the only one to drive it and I didn't want someone else to make that mistake. 

 

image.png.b1aaafca06d07a0d29859ac65762fb96.png

A picture of it when we picked it up

5t6x6_1036.jpg.e200870876d2244e8db77f078f3110ae.jpg

And after we finished the build

IMG_0782.jpg.67e681af82a8e454daaa7fe180a4bab5.jpg

We still have it in service by the way

It is not the first out of the barn since we have 3 newer ones but it will still answer if called upon. 

A testament to how well these old girls were built. 

It has had a very tough life and never once let us down on a fire. 

Almost every manual transmission gets reverse by sliding a small idler in a set of gears that closely matches ration of first. The gears need to be a bit smaller so they don’t mesh and you get reverse by sliding an idler gear in to mesh them. The physics is every gear mesh turns oppposite so with three gears you get opposite rotation of a two gear mesh.  Some of those trans you actually need first gear to run the idler for reverse but not engaged to countershaft. Your truck must have a shifting arrangement t that forks don’t mesh completely so you need to shift to first and neutral it out. I don’t know it is factory made that way but could be worn or miss assembled. Kind of like a M ihc when worn the lever can miss the forks

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Almost every manual transmission gets reverse by sliding a small idler in a set of gears that closely matches ration of first. The gears need to be a bit smaller so they don’t mesh and you get reverse by sliding an idler gear in to mesh them. The physics is every gear mesh turns oppposite so with three gears you get opposite rotation of a two gear mesh.  Some of those trans you actually need first gear to run the idler for reverse but not engaged to countershaft. Your truck must have a shifting arrangement t that forks don’t mesh completely so you need to shift to first and neutral it out. I don’t know it is factory made that way but could be worn or miss assembled. Kind of like a M ihc when worn the lever can miss the forks

Pretty sure it was made that way. 

Everyone who got those trucks were told the protocol

One I know, (only one actually) in a different fire district, got excited on a fire and tried shifting into 2nd to get the hellouta there and it broke on him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, acem said:

And I really want a truck from the south to avoid rust.

And to think when buying fertilizer equipment, you stay totally away from anything from anything from Arkansas, Louisiana, or Mississippi. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/5/2023 at 9:04 PM, acem said:

Also.

Can anyone explain how these extra master cylinders work?

Something it must use the same vacuum as the hydro boost. I can't get my head around how they maintain the same pressure in both systems.

I believe it's pretty much like this, the ones I'm more familiar with and probably could be substituted if you can't find the exact replacement if you need it:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

And to think when buying fertilizer equipment, you stay totally away from anything from anything from Arkansas, Louisiana, or Mississippi. 

Farm equipment in general honestly. 

Everyone is familiar with the Southern Bell tractor that looks like it survived a nuclear blast but barely

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our last big truck was powered by a Cat 3406E with a 13 speed road ranger.  I didn't see anything complicated in its operation, but I never moved it except around the yard. Our real driver never complained about that rig! His goal was to get the load delivered (safely) every time on time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...