Jump to content

345 vs 392 pulling power in 10 wheeler


acem

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, acem said:

So this would be the transmission?

My shifter is significantly different.

It's hard to believe they are still making it.

https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/catalog/transmissions/8ll-manual-transmission.html#tab-3

image.thumb.png.9afad2f2189690fd134583e58b6f0731.png

 

You really don’t know what is in it. The thing is with those older 9 or 13 speeds you could swap pieces in aux case around with others and make your personalized transmission.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll try to go get some pics tomorrow. The truck doesn't run anymore. Motor seized up sitting too long. It's sitting by the shop grown up in the weeds.

Whatever's in it, it's a heavy duty transmission for 1978. It was originally a feed delivery truck working in the Ozark mountains.

It has a Jake brake also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, acem said:

I'll try to go get some pics tomorrow. The truck doesn't run anymore. Motor seized up sitting too long. It's sitting by the shop grown up in the weeds.

Whatever's in it, it's a heavy duty transmission for 1978. It was originally a feed delivery truck working in the Ozark mountains.

It has a Jake brake also.

If cheap it might be okay. Depends on what it's going to take to get it running 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry I fixed this.

I already own it...

I let the truck sit for too long. The engine seized, rats ate the wiring and air lines, etc 

I don't understand why the motor seized up. It didn't get water in it...

Ran when it was parked!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, acem said:

I'll try to go get some pics tomorrow. The truck doesn't run anymore. Motor seized up sitting too long. It's sitting by the shop grown up in the weeds.

Whatever's in it, it's a heavy duty transmission for 1978. It was originally a feed delivery truck working in the Ozark mountains.

It has a Jake brake also.

We had a paystar 5000i sold with a deep reduction transmission. The gear shift had two low gears and reverse gears plus a switch to flip for deep reduction. When you put gear selector in low or reverse there was another slot for slower speeds. Sold the truck to buddy but I will have to look at it one day for trans type.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, acem said:

Sorry I fixed this.

I already own it...

I let the truck sit for too long. The engine seized, rats ate the wiring and air lines, etc 

I don't understand why the motor seized up. It didn't get water in it...

Ran when it was parked!

The comment about rats brings to mind a IH TD 18 story. An absentee property own, had the engine rebuilt, never ran it much. Don't know how long it sat, would not turn over. So left for years.  They sold, new owner pulled the head. A valve had been open enough a mouse built a nest in one sleave.  Could be your problem.  The new owner could rock the engine, did not know if anyone had tried anything but the starter before he got it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a 21 Western Star 4700 dump truck with an 8LL transmission. They have made that 8LL for years, had a 90 LT9000 Ford with a Cat 3406 and 8LL but the 4 & 8 shift positions were right and up instead of right and down. Good transmissionsn they give a good low  for starting out and a nice low reverese for backing in tight areas, 18 speed are good for that too.

DWF 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DWF said:

8LL but the 4 & 8 shift positions were right and up instead of right and down

That is what I refer to as a dash slap. I have seen 13 speeds set up that way. The 10 speed in the 1604 Terragator is that way also. Gives you overdrive in the case of a 8,9, 10, or 15 speeds. Double over in a 13 speed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With some transmission experts here I'm trying to figure out what my dad was shifting. He drove when I was real little. They were gas tractors pulling 40' trailers, the longest at the time. Anyway, I remember riding with him and he would work 3 sticks, sometimes with his arm crooked through the wheel so that he could work the sticks fast on a hill.

Any idea what kind of transmissions they were? I was real little and have no idea what the tractors were other than they were gas with no power steering and real big steering wheels. This would have in the 1950s. The routes he drove were 200 miles or less, home at night, complained about the loads coming in on diesel road hogs and transferred onto what probably were old at the time gas tractors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, New Englander said:

With some transmission experts here I'm trying to figure out what my dad was shifting. He drove when I was real little. They were gas tractors pulling 40' trailers, the longest at the time. Anyway, I remember riding with him and he would work 3 sticks, sometimes with his arm crooked through the wheel so that he could work the sticks fast on a hill.

Any idea what kind of transmissions they were? I was real little and have no idea what the tractors were other than they were gas with no power steering and real big steering wheels. This would have in the 1950s. The routes he drove were 200 miles or less, home at night, complained about the loads coming in on diesel road hogs and transferred onto what probably were old at the time gas tractors.

never seen the real old ones but later on Mack had a 2-stick transmission. the one stick shifted the five-speed main case, the other stick shifted the auxiliary case of trans. i think second stick was lo high and reverse on a Mack. could have been a trans like this then a second auxiliary (brownie box) behind that for the other stick. Most early brownies were three speed, Low, Direct and overdrive. So if it was a five speed with two speed range that is 10 speeds with a auxiliary trans (3 speed) that would be 30 gears available.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, New Englander said:

With some transmission experts here I'm trying to figure out what my dad was shifting. He drove when I was real little. They were gas tractors pulling 40' trailers, the longest at the time. Anyway, I remember riding with him and he would work 3 sticks, sometimes with his arm crooked through the wheel so that he could work the sticks fast on a hill.

Any idea what kind of transmissions they were? I was real little and have no idea what the tractors were other than they were gas with no power steering and real big steering wheels. This would have in the 1950s. The routes he drove were 200 miles or less, home at night, complained about the loads coming in on diesel road hogs and transferred onto what probably were old at the time gas tractors.

Just was browsing internet and Mack did have triple stick setups. They used their own 3 speed auxiliary trans.  there were also other trucks that used early road rangers that were set up with auxiliary transmissions and used 2 sticks to shift main and another to shift aux trans

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, New Englander said:

With some transmission experts here I'm trying to figure out what my dad was shifting. He drove when I was real little. They were gas tractors pulling 40' trailers, the longest at the time. Anyway, I remember riding with him and he would work 3 sticks, sometimes with his arm crooked through the wheel so that he could work the sticks fast on a hill.

Any idea what kind of transmissions they were? I was real little and have no idea what the tractors were other than they were gas with no power steering and real big steering wheels. This would have in the 1950s. The routes he drove were 200 miles or less, home at night, complained about the loads coming in on diesel road hogs and transferred onto what probably were old at the time gas tractors.

First decent sized truck I drove was an old IH with a 545? Gas engine. Twin sticks. 5 speed main box, 3 speed “Brownie” box. The 3 speed had a deep reduction, so it was basically a 2 speed. 
I have heard that some of them had a 2 speed rearend also. 
More modern trucks run a 6X4, 5X4 and 4X4 transmission. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Just was browsing internet and Mack did have triple stick setups

Mack Triplex transmission 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Transmission Knowledge Overload

So is the 8LL the one you can set up the way you like?

Under, direct, over, double over?

If a guy would want to give a truck some long legs?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

If a guy would want to give a truck some long legs?

A 13speed with the top gears turned around will give you a double overdrive. Not sure what all you can do with any of the transmissions. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

never seen the real old ones but later on Mack had a 2-stick transmission. the one stick shifted the five-speed main case, the other stick shifted the auxiliary case of trans. i think second stick was lo high and reverse on a Mack. could have been a trans like this then a second auxiliary (brownie box) behind that for the other stick. Most early brownies were three speed, Low, Direct and overdrive. So if it was a five speed with two speed range that is 10 speeds with a auxiliary trans (3 speed) that would be 30 gears available.  

Local excavator referred to the twin stick Mack as the "stupid 6" . We have had 4 trucks with twin sticks . Three were stupid 6 and one was a Mack 5+4 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Most 13 spd. Have two overdrives, .86 and .73 ratio.

Ahh .... That's why our RD477 Mack that had a Scania (pronounced no torque or HP) had a double under 13 speed. I never understood why someone said "double" under , now I do. It had no overdrive 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bitty said:

Ahh .... That's why our RD477 Mack that had a Scania (pronounced no torque or HP) had a double under 13 speed. I never understood why someone said "double" under , now I do. It had no overdrive 

Any gear with a ratio above 1:1 is an underdrive. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Mack Triplex transmission 

 

21 hours ago, dale560 said:

 

Just was browsing internet and Mack did have triple stick setups. They used their own 3 speed auxiliary trans.  there were also other trucks that used early road rangers that were set up with auxiliary transmissions and used 2 sticks to shift main and another to shift aux trans

Could well have been  a Mack as I believe my sister has a picture taken in the '40s of my dad next to his truck. I'll have to get a look at it and see if there's enough showing to identify it. He's wearing his uniform complete with tie, apparently you has to dress properly back in the day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, New Englander said:

 

Could well have been  a Mack as I believe my sister has a picture taken in the '40s of my dad next to his truck. I'll have to get a look at it and see if there's enough showing to identify it. He's wearing his uniform complete with tie, apparently you has to dress properly back in the day.

Not the picture I'm thinking of but one I happen to have that my sister had shared. Not much tractor visible and not sure if it's the same company but he did drive for one outfit for some years. Gotta love the tie!

Dad driving refigerated truck.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...