345 vs 392 pulling power in 10 wheeler

acem

11 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

What's it got for power?

That would good for hia wife no chance of a missed shift 

I wouldn't mess with that old gas stuff    

8v71, but it says it needs a motor. I didn’t read the add to start with. 

5 hours ago, acem said:

Trouble is most haven't been driven in years and are not road worthy enough to drive home.

If it's over 150 air miles ( or in Arkansas) my farm exemption don't work. it's a little tricky getting a 10 wheeler home with a pickup. Shipping would be killer...

Hauled this 1 home 275 miles behind my 96 F250 diesel. 4th gear, 55 mph all the way home, PSD ran great but didn't like all that weight.

It was CHEAP, has a 446, 5 speed with a 4 speed aux. So far I've only used it a couple times, 25 miles maybe. It's gutless with 550 bushels on it, runs ok empty. I'm sure it needs a full carb rebuild and ignition system. Hydraulic brakes that work pretty good. It realy needs a good run through the shop but no time for that till winter.

20230916_183933.jpg

• Like 1

If these details were in the post I missed them, but gear ratio, tranny and tire size will greatly affect the truck in the hills.  Old mechanic at a dirt spread changed the tires on one of the end dumps to something smaller and really woke up the truck.

if your putting the wife in a truck with 1/5 the miles, more and maybe better brakes (10 wheels instead of 6), and you may only be able to haul 50 bushels more? Seems like a win to me, and if you can haul more even better.

3 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

That’s very close to my wife’s family farm. 

1 hour ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I would just have your wife run the combine so you can run the semi. Don’t buy anything and just switch jobs so you can run what you’ve already got. 

She does not like to run the combine.

It hurts her knees bad getting up and down.

She's afraid she will tear something up.

She's much more comfortable driving a vehicle. She actually prefers manual transmissions. She could probably learn to float the gears.

She does not back up a trailer and you have to back up at the barge terminal. She brags on her ability to pull a trailer and never back up.!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, acem said:

She's afraid she will tear something up.

My wife never worries about that, it would be ok if she worried a little more than she does. She runs the combine and does ok. She’s not “super operator” but has logged quite a few hours. She’s caused some mechanical damage as well, but that’s part of it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Here you go 

IMG_0462.png

Ace maybe bum a trailer from someone, hook to the COE and grab a truck like this from up Nawth....?

A trip permit generally isnt bad $.  Take back roads maybe to boot.  If a allison your lady will appreciate it.  My wife cant wait to haul silage since we got a allison FL80.  She can drink her coffee and yak on phone no problem 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

Ace

Lets make a deals and ill fly put to Ct and drive that back to AR🤣🤣🤣

What a story!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

My wife never worries about that, it would be ok if she worried a little more than she does. She runs the combine and does ok. She’s not “super operator” but has logged quite a few hours. She’s caused some mechanical damage as well, but that’s part of it. 

Just speaking from experience, guys or us on our farm anyway tear up way more stuff then women ever do.  

• Like 3

Yes, a 392 will out pull a 345 any day of the week, but the 345 is still one heck of a motor. If it doesn’t have a 4bbl, I would definitely make that upgrade. Will it be a little slower on the hills, yes, but it will get the job done. I’ve driven lots of miles towing with a 345, and it’s only real problem is that the motor is wore out. If the truck is a good deal I would go for it, if it’s that under powered you can always change the engine out later.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

My wife cant wait to haul silage since we got a allison FL80.  She can drink her coffee and yak on phone no problem 😁

IMO if he is going to spend money get some thing more modern like that and swap one of the grain bodies on to it 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

IMO if he is going to spend money get some thing more modern like that and swap one of the grain bodies on to it 

But we are talking about Ace! Remember what he got for his wife to drive?

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

But we are talking about Ace! Remember what he got for his wife to drive?

I was thinking the exact same thing. 

4 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

Spend a little on a ear buds for her and she still could have shifted . 

• Haha 1

On 10/28/2023 at 9:16 PM, brahamfireman said:

446 in my 76 loadstar. With 550 bushel of corn,  35mph is all it'll do.

I can't see how a 345 would ever do it.

The problem is the 76 has all the mandated smog crap, as after all this time it is could be about anything. A before smog and never in a pickup V345 was a fine engine. In 62 a lowly V304 in an 1800, 18 wheel dump was a good flat-land 55 MPH rig, (the speed limit was 55 so it kept up with traffic) I remember it new as a 5 speed 2 speed locking tandum PS and air brakes. As compared to the then popular GM 235 engine it was a power house.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2023 at 1:11 PM, acem said:

If it's over 150 air miles ( or in Arkansas) my farm exemption don't work. it's a little tricky getting a 10 wheeler home with a pickup.

Check with your State DOT to be sure but I believe as long you are just driving it home, not hauling any product, in transit sticker. 

You are exempted from CDL.

I had a neighbor back in Chambers Ne that would buy OTR trucks, pull the sleeper, stretch frame, put on a wet kit and grain box. 

Built a lot of em, should be plenty around. 

2 hours ago, acem said:

Does that work out of state?

I think it is a Federal Law or regulation so yeah, but call your local DOT/State Patrol office, I'm sure they can tell you

• Like 2