Followed me home

vtfireman85

I wasn’t planning on this and it will need some adaptation, but the price was right, the tires are new, the wood deck is 2 years old but never been used or bolted down. Measures 13.5’ of deck, thinking I will add 4.5’ of fixed deck in front and slide the axles forward. Tag says it is a 5 ton. 

IMG_2450.jpeg

IMG_2451.jpeg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, hardtail said:

Nice score, I would leave the axle/tilt position alone and add the fixed deck in front, what kind of axles are they?

Dexter brakes, I think this is older than stickers, perhaps some sort of cave drawing/roman numeral hybrid will present itself as I dig in more. 
I was having a hard time lifting the tongue going to see where its at weight/balance wise once I figure out how long the stretch is. Most tilt decks i see have a fairly forward axle position, it will require some thinking things through for sure. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

How wide between the fenders? I’ve never seen one like it. Neat 

75.5 it has a MFG tag on it, all hand written with an engraver, and it looks like cursive. I can’t remember the manufacturer, I meant to take a picture of the tag

9 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Measures 13.5’ of deck, thinking I will add 4.5’ of fixed deck in front and slide the axles forward. Tag says it is a 5 ton. 

You just fall into new adventures every week....

If you can pull it off ,and get DOT certs.        I am next in line....... 32' deck over pierced  12#, 12" 8* tilt tandem spread. 95% off the shelf,patented design 40 -70 years ago.

No one will build it and too small for Rodgers.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, oldscoutdiesel said:

The axles almost look like trailer house axles.  Are the tires 7x14.5 or 8x14.5?

Mh axles use to be under everything here <2000

single use $50-110 complete, modify to fit your application,have 5  DW on the shelf since '96

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stronger800 said:

I’d look at more pics of that if you share them 

I’ll take more when I am there, I left it at work. 

41 minutes ago, oldscoutdiesel said:

The axles almost look like trailer house axles.  Are the tires 7x14.5 or 8x14.5?

They do, I suspect they are real trailer axles,  used to be a time everything around here had those wedge lock on it. Now they aren’t very common but i have an economy that was in a wreck that has them, and I custom ordered one for our old tri-axle years ago, you can still buy them. MH axle has non serviceable brakes. Not sure how that works, but it seems universally agreed upon. 

I had a Donahue made trailer. 102X30 feet that had clamp wheels. The tires said lowboy on them. 9X14.5. Got terribly hard to find and if you ran them at rated psi, they would throw the tread off. Not sure how many times I made it home without tread on at least 1 tire. 
The brakes on it were serviceable. I think I still have magnets for 6 wheels. 

5 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

I had a Donahue made trailer. 102X30 feet that had clamp wheels. The tires said lowboy on them. 9X14.5. Got terribly hard to find and if you ran them at rated psi, they would throw the tread off. Not sure how many times I made it home without tread on at least 1 tire. 
The brakes on it were serviceable. I think I still have magnets for 6 wheels. 

We had an awful time with 8x14.5 on our old tri axle. At one point all we could get were blue star, full set of 6 didn’t get 500 miles before every one had failed one blew sideways off the rim, it was pretty wild, had to carry a short chain and a binder just to hang the axle to make it home. I was happy to see the backside of that trailer. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hardtail said:

You have to hook up a power pak to cycle the cylinder?

No, it just bypasses itself to control the tilt.