Waste oil

jmwi

1 hour ago, CIHTECH said:

We have a Clean Burn waste oil furnace in the tractor shop. My only complaint is the dust it stirs around, other than that its a winner. Been on the wall since 99, has over 20000 hrs on burner and still going. 

We easily generate enough oil to keep it going, start burning early because our tanks are full and burn late so we can hold over summer. 

That's the way we are, too. Most of the newer Titan stores here in the Upper Midwest use a boiler/hot water system as a secondary heat source for the entire building that uses the waste oil we generate in the store. For the most part, it works well. Don't have to deal with it once we pour it into the oil dump tank. We generally can heat our store until late January/early February, then we start asking for donations. That's a PITA, because you never know what farmers will bring in for waste oil. Could be some in a 55-gallon barrel that has sat outside all summer with a funnel on top of the barrel that they bring in.

My worry about waste oil heat is.......when is our federal government going to outlaw its use in the future? Lord knows we can't have gas-powered stoves, hot water heaters, and gas-powered generators anymore because of the climate mongers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

I just pour mine in the burn barrel before burning trash, makes a nice hot fire. 

Expect the G-men to visit, in a herd of Prius no less. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Expect the G-men to visit, in a herd of Prius no less. 

Yeah, not too worried

Just returning it to the earth from whence it came.

I am environmetally responsible that way😉

And if they are coming in a pod of priuses...........they'll never make it off the single lane oil road😆

😄

Environmentally Unsound, 1963 Popular Science Used Car ...

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, MoeSzyslak said:

Same without the trash part, 5-10 gallons in a burn barrel with a splash of gasoline or diesel at the bottom vent to get it started. Burns pretty clean once it gets going.

I used to know of a couple guys that would plumb a waste oil barrel into their wood stoves. 

Kinda dripped in and made the fire a bit hotter maybe and got rid of the oil at the same time. 

Shop stoves of course

• Like 8

Start brush fires with it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sandhiller said:

I used to know of a couple guys that would plumb a waste oil barrel into their wood stoves. 

Kinda dripped in and made the fire a bit hotter maybe and got rid of the oil at the same time. 

Shop stoves of course

Some friends with bigger shops have that and it works very well.  Just drips.  Never see smoke.  We bring a tote to 1 every 18m or so.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lazy WP said:

I did my flatbed last week. Took every bit of 5 gallon of oil on 20 feet of wood. 

IMG_0448.jpeg

IMG_0447.jpeg

IMG_0446.jpeg

does it soak in and not leave the deck slippery? i would try it but dont want to be slipping around on it im clumbsy enough and fall down as it is 

8 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

does it soak in and not leave the deck slippery? i would try it but dont want to be slipping around on it im clumbsy enough and fall down as it is 

I did it on Friday afternoon last week. Hauled a tractor home on dirt roads Saturday afternoon and haven’t been looked at it since. I will be home tonight and let you know. 
I should’ve done it when the oil was hot, like right after I drained it. I think it would have totally soaked in. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

On my flat rack I'll admit it looked nicer almost like stain when it was wet. I had to brush it on thick because the wood really soaked it in. I let the wagon sit outside in 90 degree weather for 3 days and it was dry.  It dried dark and kind of made it look weathered but the purpose was to protect it not make it look like a show wagon. It's not slippery at all. Sitting in the shed on a damp day you can smell it yet but that's the only thing I noticed.

20230924_1455312.thumb.jpg.a6afd91294c29589ffc265dc0f5c2a8f.jpg

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

The oil soaks into the wood and evaporates. It’s no more slick than a regular wood deck when it’s wet. When it’s dry it’s similar to regular unfinished wood. It’s best to do it on a hot sunny day when the wood is really dry. I use an old paint roller to spread it after pouring a stripe down the length of the board, the broom method looks even faster. 

Here’s one of my trailer decks a couple weeks ago, it was treated early in the summer. It gets at least one treatment per year and is stored outside all the time. 

37224150-905E-4F1C-A47E-B827EDC5E983.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lazy WP said:

I did my flatbed last week. Took every bit of 5 gallon of oil on 20 feet of wood. 

IMG_0448.jpeg

IMG_0447.jpeg

IMG_0446.jpeg

What color is that? Detroit? 

• Haha 4

21 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Donate it to my boss for his waste oil furnace in the shop.

A piece of information?

Pure Hy-Tran will not burn.

The cheap stuff may or JD 303 but original Hy-Tran will not.

I also seen a shop drip pure water into the fire.

You could hear the water hit the fire, turn to steam.

The mechanic said the water really increased the heat output of the furnace.

But, to much water and the steam would leak out and run down the outside of the chimney and make a mess.

PS: This mechanics shop burnt down. I never heard what the cause was.

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, MTB98 said:

The oil soaks into the wood and evaporates. It’s no more slick than a regular wood deck when it’s wet. When it’s dry it’s similar to regular unfinished wood. It’s best to do it on a hot sunny day when the wood is really dry. I use an old paint roller to spread it after pouring a stripe down the length of the board, the broom method looks even faster. 

Here’s one of my trailer decks a couple weeks ago, it was treated early in the summer. It gets at least one treatment per year and is stored outside all the time. 

37224150-905E-4F1C-A47E-B827EDC5E983.jpeg

Dad always coated the manure spreader floor with used oil.

Slop it on and let it run down between the cracks.

Adds a lot of life to wood floors.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Dad always coated the manure spreader floor with used oil.

Slop it on and let it run down between the cracks.

Adds a lot of life to wood floors.

Yep, my old New Idea wood spreader gets it too. It’s also good for the chains on the spreader. Not too many of those old spreaders still in use. 

5 minutes ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Do it on a hot day, and I've noticed that 0W20 out of my wife's car soaks into the wood a lot better than, say SAE30 or 15W40.

Some folks like to cut the used oil with kerosene or diesel to thin the oil. Mine is usually a mix of whatever fluids were in the drain pan, I just apply it straight.

• Like 1

We get a burn permit at least once a year.  Local volunteer fire department requires it to be burned on a Saturday and its supposed to be finished by nightfall .   About 40 gallon of used oil thrown around the top of the pile usually helps make sure its all burned up by nightfall. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

A piece of information?

Pure Hy-Tran will not burn.

The cheap stuff may or JD 303 but original Hy-Tran will not.

That’s interesting, do you know if that was a fire protection concern? I saw fire retardant  hy oil in coal handling eq, but it was an ester based fluid, so everything required vioton seals $$.  It seems like after 2000 before I started seeing aerosol solvents and such go non flammable .

I like treating exterior wood with oil . I don’t find the trailer decks slick but you will get black carbon boot soles for a few weeks.
If you absolutely never forget to take off your boots before going in the house no problem.

Used to save to empty into a 20 gal or so barrel that had a small spigot towards the bottom, and open to just a dribble, every time we ran the barn cleaner, aim the dribble to hit the links on the gutter chain. Also used the old motor oil to lube chains, etc.,