Noble Blade Cultivator

U-C

Thanks for posting, both of those videos are neat....and bring back good memories of working with my neighbor in the 1980s.

Noble blades were very common tillage tools in my area when I was a teenager in the 1980s. My neighbor had a 5 blade, 5 1/2' per blade Noble blade that we pulled behind a 3588 2+2 at that time. Made that 2+2 grunt most of the time. If you did a good job with a Noble blade, the only evidence that the field had been worked was the extra set of tire tracks out in the stubble.....the stubble was still standing straight up after a pass with a Noble blade.

Unfortunately, we have a lot of rocks in the area where I grew up....and they raised havoc with Noble blades. You got to be a good welder/blacksmith trying to keep a Noble together in our field conditions. Also, we had to put concrete weights on the frame of the blades to keep them in the ground when it got dry. If it got too dry, the blade would just slide over the top of the ground...then you went and got the tandem disc out for stubble tillage.

Biggest one in our area was a 9 blade unit that a neighbor pulled behind a Big Bud 525. Don't remember if the blade size was 5', 5 1/2', or 6' as those were all common sizes for Noble blades at that time.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting.  We still have a 3 piece set of Noble blades.  They are a model Ms and you can see them at the 11:34 mark.  They are 8ft blades.  And actually it was a 5 piece set at one time but I took two of them off.  We also used to have an older straight blade one too.  The peak of their popularity around here was the 50s.  They had their place but if the ground was too wet, they didn’t kill any weeds.  Too dry and you had a hard time getting them into the ground.  Plus they created a hard pan like no other tillage tool.  But they were better than nothing at the time and what really killed them is chisel plows with sweeps and strip farming.  

Their drills were actually pretty good and somewhat popular around here.   The late Versatile ones were the only box hoe drills capable of seeding into no-till conditions.  JD and IH drills didn’t have near enough heavy shanks plus they plugged to easy.  Versatile bought out Noble in the early 80s or late 70s I think.  I don’t know what happened after that but the someone was making air drills under the name “New Noble” in the 90s.  

• Like 1