Help with IH terminology on crawlers

ray54

A friend has picked up 2 mid 60's TD9 B crawlers. The one has a decal on the fuel tank saying, "Custom Application". He has seen others that say "Special Application", or maybe "Agricultural Special".  Wondering if anyone has more information and a timeline of how long they made the variations.

I figured this was the place to find out as several of you are very knowledgeable about the IH crawlers.1140B50A-5E43-43AB-BEE9-145B85C837B6.jpegADC8304B-3F2A-4CBB-9A60-4C36F5A4C1C7.jpeg

• Like 2

I had thought the IH "Custom Application" crawlers were a drawbar tractor variant that did not include a blade, always manual shift gear drive, and had a few small differences like larger fuel tanks.

However I cannot back this up with anything other than what I have seen, and differences in the parts manuals. Most I have seen were in California TD-15C and TD-20C used in agricultural applications.

An interesting note, the TD-15B parts manual shows that an "Agri Tractor" is equipped with manual shift and a DT-361 engine only. It also lists a "Custom Tractor" is equipped with manual shift and DT-407 engine only.

TD9B came out in 1962, TD9B Agricultural tractors came out in 1963, they just said Agriculture on the sides of the fuel tank below the TD9 decal, in 1968 IH changed the nose (grill) to the type Jamee's tractors have. They then called the Ag version "Custom Application". All Ag TD9B's have increased rpm (150) the injection pumps are re-calibrated, they are rated at 60 HP drawbar 75 PTO as opposed to 56 HP drawbar, 66 HP PTO of the industrial gear drive tractors, 75 PTO. The Ag tractor also came with a 44 gallon fuel tank as opposed to 33 gallon for the industrial. All the Ag 9B's also have an equalizer bar as opposed to the front spring, also solid weighted front idlers. Those are very nice looking tractors.

IH TD9B Brochure 001.jpg

IH TD9B Brochure 002.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, louie figone said:

TD9B came out in 1962, TD9B Agricultural tractors came out in 1963, they just said Agriculture on the sides of the fuel tank below the TD9 decal, in 1968 IH changed the nose (grill) to the type Jamee's tractors have. They then called the Ag version "Custom Application". All Ag TD9B's have increased rpm (150) the injection pumps are re-calibrated, they are rated at 60 HP drawbar 75 PTO as opposed to 56 HP drawbar, 66 HP PTO of the industrial gear drive tractors, 75 PTO. The Ag tractor also came with a 44 gallon fuel tank as opposed to 33 gallon for the industrial. All the Ag 9B's also have an equalizer bar as opposed to the front spring, also solid weighted front idlers. Those are very nice looking tractors.

IH TD9B Brochure 001.jpg

IH TD9B Brochure 002.jpg

I vaguely remenber (and that could be wrong) that there was a turbo in what we got in Oz?

2 hours ago, louie figone said:

IH TD9B Brochure 001.jpg

IH TD9B Brochure 002.jpg

You must have quite the IH library there Louie ! 

We can always count on you to provide the answers to these types of inquiries, and many other inquiries as well.. 

Appreciate your input and your continued interest in helping others with your vast knowledge !

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

I vaguely remenber (and that could be wrong) that there was a turbo in what we got in Oz?

Yes, the gear drive was turbocharged, the power shift is naturally aspirated, turbo was an option on the power shift as a high altitude attachment.

16 hours ago, north of 60 said:

You must have quite the IH library there Louie ! 

We can always count on you to provide the answers to these types of inquiries, and many other inquiries as well.. 

Appreciate your input and your continued interest in helping others with your vast knowledge !

Glad to help with what I know, I have always been interested in the TD9B, when I was dove hunting in Casa Grande in 1981 I seen a yellow tractor in the back yard of the John Deere dealer, he said make an offer he wanted that yellow tractor gone, so now I have it, great tractors.

TD9B ripping1.jpg

IH TD9B right rear (2).JPG

• Like 3